DIY Metal Speaker Stands for BS

@Shuv, I don't know what it came up in the photographs in terms of perceptive but believe me, 14" X 14" is quite large foot print ... Come over to my place someday and check it out for yourself over a cup of tea :)

The height of the stand is odd 22" and the base is 14". Now imagine the ratio :D

Guys,
I bought a piece of wood of dimension 13.1" X 36" X 2" to make my speaker stands base.

I have removed the metal base plate to make a wooden base as it wasn't looking good.

Now, I want you guys to suggest me some designs for the same. Available dimension for each plate is 13.1 x 18 inches. Thickness being 2".

Last edited:

Attachments

• Sanus-NF24C-Cherry-Pair.jpg
    Sanus-NF24C-Cherry-Pair.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 186
  • fgc.jpg
    fgc.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Another one I got looking gorgeous -

Huiwei-hivi-m-stand-luxury-font-b-wood-b-font-shelves-font-b-speaker-b-font.jpg

The above stands look awesome but I think slightly difficult to make with the slanted pillar. When I did my DIY stands for my Zaph speakers I thought of making similar to the one but I think getting the required angle so that it gives a firm base is like trail and error. So I went ahead with the straight ones with a hollow pillar to fill up with sand to make it sturdy. You can have the look of my stands from my Zaph build thread.

Thanks

Thanks Manniraj.

I am only trying to get the design of the base plate not the entire stand as my stand is already built to some extent and you can see in previous pages. I have posted the WIP photos.

BTW, I have followed your Zaph build thread. Very nicely done :)

Thanks Manniraj.

I am only trying to get the design of the base plate not the entire stand as my stand is already built to some extent and you can see in previous pages. I have posted the WIP photos.

BTW, I have followed your Zaph build thread. Very nicely done :)

Oh sorry I did look at your stands build but thought you might be redoing it with wood including the pillars.

Nice and interesting build there, FM Koushik. Great.
I had once poured heat-sterilised and chemically treated (riverbed) sand into a speaker compartment meant for the purpose. Had added some lead (air-gun) pellets too. Can't say if the pellets made any difference but the overall effect was quite impressive.

Cheerio,
TT

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the advice. At first I used steel but now I have removed it and preparing for a heavy wooden base.

Marble or granite would look good but I don't know how to go about it. Drilling a smooth holes in stones would be difficult for DIY work. Working with wood is much easier.

I think the bottom plate can be either steel or wooden and the top plate can be made with granite stone cut to size. And without the need to drill holes to fasten to the stand, I think we can use some kind of glue to stick the stone. In fact the best idea what I thought of before making a all wooden stands, what we use as (Tulsi plant pots) most of the smaller towns keep this plant in all pots made of all granite stones to a particular height. But bit difficult to get in bigger cities.

I think the bottom plate can be either steel or wooden and the top plate can be made with granite stone cut to size. And without the need to drill holes to fasten to the stand, I think we can use some kind of glue to stick the stone. In fact the best idea what I thought of before making a all wooden stands, what we use as (Tulsi plant pots) most of the smaller towns keep this plant in all pots made of all granite stones to a particular height. But bit difficult to get in bigger cities.

something like this - Marble ?

Yes I was referring to this but not so grand (the one listed in the link should cost a bomb and may be more than the speaker cost itself :lol:), its a plain granite slabs glued together with cement. It will be hollow with a hole at the bottom plate for the excess water to seep out. The hollow portion can be filled with sand to make it more heavy. Something similar to this one.

Last edited:
What will be better way to screw the metal pipes on wooden base? Will it be to screw on the wood or make through holes and screw them from the bottom?

Through holes would look good but I think it will be more robust to exert pressure on the wood than to hang on screws from below through the hole.

What do you people think?

for speaker stands - some speakers cabinets are thin walled and they need lossy stands. In this category, wooden stands can be made. ( Eposes / Harbeths / Spendor and some typically british speakers )

Others speakers are heavily braced and need heavy metal stands.

The selection of stands depends on the speaker design philosophy.

I am not too much a fan of hybrid stands like metal columns and wooden / marble top plates etc..

Been thru 3 stands so far.. the 4th one is at a discussion stage. The stand i am looking at is the Osiris 24 inch stand. The Osiris company does not exist anymore but they say this was one of the better stands out there.

anyways.. hope i did not go OT too far.

Try and keep it simple and rugged. That will be the key.

mpw
============================================

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back