DIY - Pass B1

bijinmb

Hi Folks!

Just to let you know that I have started building my Pass B1 - Buffer Preamp for my Active 3-way floorstander project.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/28211-my-diy-active-3-way-floorstander.html

With great pleasure and happiness I am showcasing this DIY to our GUILD.

Here are the few updates of the WIP.

Components I have used:

Jantzen caps.
Dale 1% Resistors.
Panasonic Electrolytic caps.
Onsemi's MUR160 Ultra Fast Recovery Diodes for the PSU.
Toroidal Transformer: 12-0-12 VAC 1A and 18-0-18VAC 1A.

Here is the finished Pass B1 on Veroboard. I just given provision for running this from Battery as well as from Mains Power Supply.

So I just modified the power supply section a little bit to oblige that requirement.

Audio selector, 4 audio source:

Transformer mounted on the cabinet:

Few images of the cabinet:

Completed Front Panel:

Completed Back Panel:

EMI/RFI Filter has been used for distortion/noise free AC supply to the PSU.

This EMI filter has Power Socket and Fuse as well which makes the job quiet easy!

Panels:

Last edited:
good show, thats a great build.

i actually never understood why the original b1 pcb was so huge. considering the components, it could have been done on a much smaller pcb.

good show, thats a great build.

i actually never understood why the original b1 pcb was so huge. considering the components, it could have been done on a much smaller pcb.

That might be just to bring size to a standard dimension and to occupy inside the cabinet to give a bigger look and feel.

Note: In the FirstWatt's site its priced 1000 USD.

IMO, This circuit is too simple that anybody can build this with a veroboard P2P way.

Looks very nice,what is the cost for total project?

Toroidal Transformer: 450 INR I guess.
Pass B1 Components: 2300 INR approx.
Veroboard: 35 INR I guess.

EMI/RFI Filter, Gold Plated RCA, etc : 400 aprox.

Rotary switch, power switch, knob: 700 INR

Audio Selector kit: 1000 or 1200 INR i guess.

Cabinet:
Sheet Metal Works using 1.2mm CR sheet and powder coating : 1380 INR
Acrylic work and laser engraving front(9mm) and back(4mm) panel : 1052 INR

Misc: 250 INR

Total : 7767 INR Approx.

But comparing with its actual price in the market it's worth doing this in DIY way.

Courtesy: http://www.lowther-america.com/First_Watt_Amplifiers/

They are selling Pass B1 for 800 Plus USD.

Last edited:
I guess I have seen quite a few builds as well as mine over the years and can well appreciate this one. I know for a fact that it takes a lot of effort to talk to all the machining and other odd job guys to get things precisely and professionally done. In the end the final product is something worth enjoying!! Good job Bijin and also thanks for your effort in making some of these available to us DIYers. I for one am going to come up with a good shopping list!!!

:clapping:

I guess I have seen quite a few builds as well as mine over the years and can well appreciate this one. I know for a fact that it takes a lot of effort to talk to all the machining and other odd job guys to get things precisely and professionally done. In the end the final product is something worth enjoying!! Good job Bijin and also thanks for your effort in making some of these available to us DIYers. I for one am going to come up with a good shopping list!!!

:clapping:

You are right Gopib,

Especially the cabinet fabrication is not at all simple task to deal with especially doing the metal work with one vendor and the panels with other vendor.

Things like measuring the RCA, Power socket, bush, power switch etc.. with vernier caliper, centering, placing things is a real time eater and a patience bench-marker.

Extreme care should be given to keep the production things go in sync!

Even we drew the design in corel draw, we are not confident enough to give to them and let them do the rest with CNC laser cut acrylic.

We need to sit with them to get the things done since even 1mm inaccuracy will really screw up all our happiness.

We have refined the design many times and is kinda solid stable now.

We have mainly considered MX India components so that others can also kinda easy to source.

On the other hand if its other brand's components need to take the hectic drawings once again and build, or need to do the modification on the present setup

which won't work out all time other than you are on your lucky day with your procured stuffz!

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back