DIY power supply for SSP and Raspberry pi

Are there three-pin chip regulators like the LM317/337 which can provide the 2+ Ampere current needed for applications like RPi?
As per technical datasheet, lm317 cannot draw more than 1.5amp. I tried to connect my dac with om's psu, but it didn't work. I am using a 12-0-12v 1.25amp r-core btw.
I understand the LT1038 could be an option but the product is now obsolete. So are there alternatives?
The alternatives could be lt1084/85 IMHO.

As per technical datasheet, lm317 cannot draw more than 1.5amp. I tried to connect my dac with om's psu, but it didn't work. I am using a 12-0-12v 1.25amp r-core btw.

The alternatives could be lt1084/85 IMHO.
Or using LM317/337 with appropriate current dispensing Transistors in parallels controlled by regulator.

You can try half of this supply for a single rail.

You can try to use it with an LM317. There is a misconception about lm317 that it has limit of 1.5A. If you look at the datasheet, it has a limit of 2.2A if the dropout voltage is less than 15v and 1.5A if the dropout voltage is more than 15. In my design, the chips are on the edge, so you can go nuts with the heatsinks. If LM317 does not work due to current limit, you can always use LM138/Lm338 which is 5A regulator and is pin compatible (I think).

One guy has measured ripple and noise of each every popular mobile chargers in the market
Guess what the apple iphone charger and ipad charger came on top. One was best with ripple and other with noise
I am trying best to find the page. I wanted to post it on the Raspberry pi page too but still not successful in finding the link
Not quite EVERY popular mobile charger but...
A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best

For a nice implementation of the LM317/338 regulated circuit see Parts 1 to 4 in the "miscellanea" section: Just one thing about music - when it hits you feel no pain.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back