DIY preamp

hydrovac

Hello!

Just starting on a new preamp - which I recently procured from fellow DIYer Aniket, who designed it.
Luckily I found a spare cabinet and 18-0-18 1 Amp, R-core trafo from my earlier projects... here is the log of the build.

Preamp module:

DSCN0366.JPG

DSCN0369.JPG

The cabinet:

DSCN0371.JPG

DSCN0372.JPG

why not use dedicated boards for left and right channels.

That's not my prerogative Kannan! you have to ask Aniket that.

A Dual-Mono Preamplifier...?

I've seen some preamplifiers boasting "Dual Mono" designs... My question is do dual mono preamplifiers actually have better channel separation and other advantages over regular stereo preamplifiers, or is it just smoke and mirrors?

I'm curious to see what others have to say.

That's not my prerogative Kannan! you have to ask Aniket that.

A Dual-Mono Preamplifier...?

I've seen some preamplifiers boasting "Dual Mono" designs... My question is do dual mono preamplifiers actually have better channel separation and other advantages over regular stereo preamplifiers, or is it just smoke and mirrors?

I'm curious to see what others have to say.
If you can get the entire chain that way, then nothing like it, no cross talk or spill over.

Congratulations!
What is the design of this?
There are no opamps.
It's based on Toshiba BJTs. All discrete components.Class A design.

why not use dedicated boards for left and right channels.
There is really no need for dual mono, if PCB layout is good. It could be beneficial in bdi high gain application like phonostage. I have tried dual mono configuration of my existing phonostage, but there wasn't any difference in sq in my system.

Regards
Sachin

Last edited by a moderator:
Crosstalk is less than -95dB, i beleive that no humar ear can hear that.
The design is full symmetric push pull class A, it uses low noise matched pair BJT’s from ROHM and KEC.

Regards,
Aniket

How does it sound ? is it better than the JC2 Pre clones and the ones on Eight audio if someone has compared these.
Thanks ,

lifewater

Crosstalk is less than -95dB, i beleive that no humar ear can hear that.
The design is full symmetric push pull class A, it uses low noise matched pair BJT’s from ROHM and KEC.

Regards,
Aniket
Interesting to know, how is sound compared to dcb1/B1 based on 3sk170 jfets?
Which can be technically better?

No offense to anyone, but Eight audio uses some of Aniket's previous designs without taking prior permission.

Regards
Sachin

Good God !! these people have become like the Chinese Rip-off parties in ebay.com

Not very civil of them.

BTW I am still using the B1 I got from you Sachin as my pre bothe with the My Refs and Pee Cee Bee and would now like to explore different designs. Do let me know how it compares to the B1 once yo built it.

No offense to anyone, but Eight audio uses some of Aniket's previous designs without taking prior permission.

Regards
Sachin

That's an unfair and unhealthy trade practice... can you pl specify which designs.
I personally don't endorse or subscribe to such organizations...
so, placing eight audio on my black list.

Back