DIY Stands-Standanddeliver? i Stood, hope i delivered

cranky and others
should i use the stel pellets/balls with sand
or use just sand?

Some advice from Brian Cheney on speaker stands (quoted from the VMPS :: Ribbon loudspeakers & subwoofers website):
>>>>>>>>>
How to improve your stand

1. Make sure it is the right height. Usual stand height of 50cm may be OK, but might be taller or shorter for you, depending on your height and/or your seat height.

2. Add weight. A steel sheet on the stand on the speaker, weights on top of the speaker, sand in the stand frame.

3. Add a baffle. A "beard" installed on the front of the stand, top to floor, vastly improves the sound. Almost any material will work, even cardboard. It's puzzling that manufacturers turn out open frame stands at all. The cavity below the woofer destroys bass response, as Paul Klipsch pointed out 35 years ago. Adding a front baffle the same width as the speaker and extending from the top of the stand to the floor gives the bass a boundary to travel along and increases efficiency below 100Hz up to 6 dB.
>>>>>>>>>

It's # 3 that intrigues me. Can someone try this out and see if it works?

hmm stand is almost ready
my shiny nuts and bolts arrived too

just some granite skirting if left and yes i still have got to steal some sand!

anyway thanks keith for the post
i have taken car of point no 1 and 2
granite is heavy! and the height ofcourse is custom for my sitting position

now point no. 3 intrigues me too
hmm may be a can get an acrylic sheet ( the width of the speaker) to act as a beard i just needto figure out how i can make it look aesthetic/stock and also have it detachebale.

yay
something to do!

i will do a mock assembly so you may see what it should look like
However i dont have the sand nor will the beard be done

Great work magma! way to go! Like others i am also eager to take a look at the final product. As u know I have recently bought a pair of 9.2s so i am really interested.

cheers,
sri

Great work magma! way to go! Like others i am also eager to take a look at the final product. As u know I have recently bought a pair of 9.2s so i am really interested.

cheers,
sri

thanks for the encouragement.
i will try and do a mock up on friday
(albeit without the skirting and beard)

hello all

heres my attempt at some stands for bookshelf speakers.

Magma your my inspiration.

Actually I just placed made to order fspeaker stand for my B&W speakers. Will post pic once I receive it. :eek:hyeah:

please do post the pic
it will give me and others good ideas

i managed to do a mock assembly today
below is the link of the picassa album ( if anyone is unable to view it please do PM me since the link keeps changing as i update my album)

http://picasaweb.google.com/khuz1979/DIYBookshelfSpeakerStands?authkey=Gv1sRgCOf77aqlzs2OFg#

Anyway most of the pics have captions.
do excuse the background-its my workshop

Also note the stands are not yet complete
a 11mm thick granite skirting that is 1 inch wide will be afixed to the top plate
so that its 2mm above the level of the check nut and so the speakers can rest either directly on the granite face or alternatively silicone feet

the central pillar is 304 grade SS and is a matt finish however the photo shows a shine due to the camera flash

Also im yet to get hold of sand

And im also yet to experiment with an acrylic beard
but all that a little later

please do give your inputs

Last edited:
Hello
Good finish. But why is the nut jutting out at the top? How will you place the speakers?

Regards

Hello
Good finish. But why is the nut jutting out at the top? How will you place the speakers?

Regards

i
Also note the stands are not yet complete
a 11mm thick granite skirting that is 1 inch wide will be afixed to the top plate
so that its 2mm above the level of the check nut and so the speakers can rest either directly on the granite face or alternatively silicone feet

s

by the above mentioned method

magma you rock man - how much did you spend man for them - they look real sturdy and cool (hope they serve the purpose well too).

Taking any orders for mass prodcution??:lol:

Hey magma, this is fantastic. Now I want to see it fully done with some good pictures too.
Can I get you some sand?:)

magma you rock man - how much did you spend man for them - they look real sturdy and cool (hope they serve the purpose well too).

Taking any orders for mass prodcution??:lol:

thank you sir for your kind words.they go a long way
as for mass production :licklips:
i had a laugh on that too
but i spoke to dinyaar this evening , i think he was really serious when he told me i should go commercial.

Hey magma, this is fantastic. Now I want to see it fully done with some good pictures too.
Can I get you some sand?:)

thaks reju.
youre correct the pics didnt actually do justice to the stands.
the surroundings and gloomy light didnt help
i hope to post finished pics when i bring the stand home.

As for the sand
are you serious? can you really get me some?
i would be grateful

Hi magma,

It looks pretty and cool.:clapping: How much did u spend?

cheers,
sri

some of you are asking for the price.
well many Diy'rs almost never put a pricetag on their creations huh? most of the time its "i did it for fun and never kept track of my expenses"

i thought of saying the same.
but i thought thats being spoilt sport and also moser would kick me(just kidding)

well i too did it for fun but as as i stated in my earlier posts,
these stands were not as cheap as maybe other DIY stands .
i made sure i used the best materials

however im pretty confident that these stands are far better than most offerings seen on stand and deliver.com so that keeps me satisfied on the price

anyway i am only posting what i paid for some of the materials currently
im sorry im unable to post any labour charges or certain labour and material charges of items since they were executed by my vendors some of whome havent yet given me a bill and others whome im pretty sure will waive any charges because " yeh tho ghar ke liye hai"

material charges are about 2850rs for the 2 SS tubes(2.75 inches OD and 4.5mm thk) 304 grade and 4 grantite slabs
(it includes cutting polishing and moulding charges which actually turn out more expensive than the raw granite itself! - each hole in granite costed rs 20/hole .charges also include polishing of SS tube)

yet to receive bill for tie rods and nuts/check nuts-vendor
yet to receive bill for spikes-vendor

yet to recieve bill for custom silicone gaskets and delrin locating disc and nylon custom washers (im dreading this cost- getting 4 custom washers of delrin and 4 custom gaskets of silicone made are not cheap!)-NOT a direct vendor:sad:

cost of
the SS caps (8nos) were waived
CNC turning of SS tubes to get them levelled and sized were waived
All plating costs were waived
Spike collars were made in the workshop- i made them-cost -priceless!
steel balls- borrowed from factory - waived

am i forgeting anything?

i will post updates if anyone wants when i get above mentioned vendor bills

Anyway thank you all for you supposrt and advice
i hope to complete the top plate soon and post complete photos

Also the acrylic beardwill probably be made tomm too.
lets see if that really gives results or not ( i doubt it though)

magma,the stands look fantabulous!!!very hard pressed to say that theyre DIY!!excellent!!!seriously bro,like dinyaar may have suggested,u should go commercial.give the alternatives a run for their money!!cheers

thaks reju.
youre correct the pics didnt actually do justice to the stands.
the surroundings and gloomy light didnt help
i hope to post finished pics when i bring the stand home.

As for the sand
are you serious? can you really get me some?
i would be grateful

Yes sure, why not. I could see you are not comfortable getting them. How many kgs? Where do you stay? South Mumbai? Is there any particular type? The beach sand or the riverbed/ construction type? We have to dry the sand now that it has started raining.

Yes sure, why not. I could see you are not comfortable getting them. How many kgs? Where do you stay? South Mumbai? Is there any particular type? The beach sand or the riverbed/ construction type? We have to dry the sand now that it has started raining.

typical chowpatty sand would be excellent
however i have seen that the sand which is furthest away from the waters edge is finer and hence better

no need to dry the sand since im gonna detol wash it anyway!
i probably need about 5-7 kgs ( im guessing )
(enough to fill two 2 foot tubes of 2.5 inch diameter)-hey dinyaar cranky should that be enough?

ANyway
guys the skirting arrived today
ive editted and uploaded it in my picassa album where you can see the top plate with the skirting

heres the link
Picasa Web Albums - khuzema - DIY Bookshelf...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back