DIY Stands-Standanddeliver? i Stood, hope i delivered

was thinking of getting a cylindrical knob fabricated

hi magma,

something like this?

threadedcylindricalknob.jpg

By witchesofsound, shot with DMC-FZ7 at 2010-03-21

even this makes a mess of wood flooring!!

i had these made for my av rack - but the only way to protect wood flooring is to place a wooden block under each knob -

and even then - the wood gets marked! (in time)

^^
yes almost exactly like that but some more threads and lastly a spike at the end of the threads
thanks suri

hi magma,

i got what you mean.

something like this?

threadedcylindricalknobe.jpg

By witchesofsound, shot with DMC-FZ7 at 2010-03-21

REALLY UGLY - but works like a dream!

that is just a stainless steel bolt with wings welded to the head - and the end made pointy

Last edited:
Hi Ali,
I have benifitted a lot from this DIY project. If possible post some more photographs of the final product with your speakers (the first stand).

Manoj

thank you

i cant post more images of my PSB speakers with the exact same stands ( the first stand)
currently im building a second set for myself as you have can see from the picassa link above. featuring a double column
they are coming along nicely, im hopeful they should better many branded stands in the market today including the likes of B&W and Dyna

Also theres a third kind of stands being built simaltaneoulsy
(Actaully 2 pairs)
its a copy of the first one but slight modifications (a kind of upgraded version if you may ) with a granite + MS sandwich for the top and bottom plates
Also the footprint is larger and the spikes will top adjustable
the collar and steel balls also feature here as in the first stand
one of these pairs will probably be for sale because the buyer is not yet sure about his status

(ive built two sets because i noticed the labour costs almost half when i build two sets)

i can post pictures with these two stands if you want

Last edited:
Well the detailing and thoroughness is evident from your postings and it should not be surprising that very soon you will beat the best commercial ones in the market.
My humble suggestion is that freeze and simplify the first stand(entry level magma stand) which is easily implementable by amateurs like me. Cutting, polishing, skirting of granite plates can be easily implemented in any town/city. I guess the only bottleneck is the custom collars and the spikes machined. If their design is frozen and mass produced then you would have done many of us a great favour.
Please post pictures of your stand with speakers and also your impressions of the improvement in the sound quality with these stands.

Thanks,

Manoj

. I guess the only bottleneck is the custom collars and the spikes machined. If their design is frozen and mass produced then you would have done many of us a great favour.
Please post pictures of your stand with speakers and also your impressions of
Manoj

manoj
the collars are no bottleneck
anyone who is building the first stand can just ask me for the collars
i think i have quite a few lying around by now.
(i built two stands for a couple friends and i always make extra)

ive got two sizes
one to go into a 12.5 dia granite hole and one to go into a larger hole ( i think its about 3/4 th inch - but ill have to check)

for spikes too ,please dont hesitate to ask
i may have to get them machined as per your spec but im not working on any profit :p

heres a pic of a stand being made for a fellow member on order
So many of us are making nice DIY stands

its a simple stand that i think is excellent VFM
it is sturdy,heavy (weighs in at 10.5 kgs UNFILLED )and elegant and according to me
it consists of a single 3 inch square column (3.5mm thick ) with MS top and bottom plates
Spikes are yet to be added finishing is pending

Central column may be fitted using a central bolt like in my first granite stands or an advanced method would be to use threaded inserts and recess the plates

Attachments

• DSCN3035.jpg
    DSCN3035.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
heres a pic of a stand being made for a fellow member on order
So many of us are making nice DIY stands

its a simple stand that i think is excellent VFM
it is sturdy,heavy (weighs in at 10.5 kgs UNFILLED )and elegant and according to me
it consists of a single 3 inch square column (3.5mm thick ) with MS top and bottom plates
Spikes are yet to be added finishing is pending

Central column may be fitted using a central bolt like in my first granite stands or an advanced method would be to use threaded inserts and recess the plates

Ali
Have been telling u to go commercial:):)

If u do decide then make one stand for my brother in law ASAP as I slept over it and he is threatening to take mine if I dont get him a decent stand soon enough.

Rgds

Thanks for sharing magma, i like square column design, looks very good.

Regards,
Anil

thank you anil
i should thank cranky who adviced to go square

P.S : that frigggin telescope is utterly amazing!. cant tell its a DIY

Ali
Have been telling u to go commercial:):)

Rgds

i have been accepting orders ( dont know if that means "gone commercial" as yet because i havent exactly advertised, also ive been doing it more for the fun and to keep myself occupied)
will work on your brother in laws stands soon
thanks for the support

great goin magma!!!!!as dinyaar has repeatedly said,..go commercial!!!!!hope i could source somethin from u if the need arose ;).cheers

Lovely, patient, painstaking work, Magma!

Dinyaar - it was lovely of you to help Magma with this. All the best with this, Magma.

a small update
below are pics of semi finished parts of 2 different stands

the Base ( is of my personal stand) has been coated a special Matt black Ash finish ( it looks and feels like a jet black rock)

the Spikes are common to both stands
the have been machined 1 Pc from a stainless grade 304 bar and then have been hardened ( normalised i think)
the spike tops for adjustment still are being machined

The Aluminium column is of another stand being made for a fellow member
this particular column has been polished by emery and then buffed and has been Matt Plated

my personal stand columns will not be anodised but will be PU ( poly urethane ) coated like the B&W 's and dynas
will post pics next week

the recesses are machined for allen bolts
the 4 recesses at the extremities are machined so the spike dia fits into them.In effect part of the spike cone is hidden inside the 1 inch base plate.
this allows for a setting such that the base plate can be hardly 8-12 mm off the floor/carpet ( though the spike cones are 1 inch tall)
i have done this to further reduce CG and increase stability

http://img410.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscn3016m.jpg

Last edited:
yeah - bellissima!!!

the best - in the southern hemisphere!

congrats - magma

thank you for the appreciation
rally,suri and grubyhalo

most of the parts (2 pairs of stands) have arrived from final finishing
only the spike tops are yet to reach me and some check nuts that have gone for oxidising

hopefully i should post some completed pics by thursday

After that i hope to build another stand of granite and better my earlier attempt

Making a good Spike ( According to my limited knowledge)

below is a my example ( at least my best effort) of a Top adjustable Spike
Top adjustable spikes are easier to set and level than bottom adjusting ones.
(i thank cranky and dinyaar in pursuading me to make this kind and also providing me useful pointers)

All parts are SS 304 grade
the spike is machined 1 piece with the threads and is case hardenend

A 4 mm recess is machined so the threads dont run up directly to the cone.
this is done so that the cone can touch the bottom plates if you like and if you have milled a recess in the plate the cone can actaully be partly hidden in the bottom plate ( as has been done in my stands)

the flange nut is to tighten to spike to bottom plate after level adjustment

the Spike top is a hexagonal pc that i machined from a SS hex bar.
it is tapped to accept the spike threads
Hexagon was chosen purely since it can be tightened/adjusted easily by hand and spanner

A black check nut shown in one of the pics locks the SS hex spike Top in place
In effect making all parts of the spike i.e the spike and spike top (except the flange nut) function as a 1 Piece device

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back