DIY TDA7293 amplifier

askii2

Hi,

I have built a TDA7293 amplifier. I find it's sound satisfactory at low volume levels. At high volume levels it's not satisfactory. It's starts sounding very similar to my AVR (which is based on class D amplifiers). I hear what I presume is distortion or noise and there is a high listening fatigue. Since this chip is known to have the audio quality of a typical class AB amplifier, I think something's obviously wrong.

I am using polyster film capacitors in signal path. Transformer and supply capacitors are overpowered, so no worries there. There are power supply decoupling disc capacitors as suggested in the data sheet.

The only thing that's different is I have soldered components on a universal solder-board instead of a usual PCB. Does anyone have a similar experience?

With a standard PCB now it sounds like a typical class-AB amplifier.
AMP101-1.jpg

I too have gotten TDA7293 amplifier modules from BNICS. Next step is to try with speaker load. I am somewhat afraid of doing that since their website says that the amplifier modules have been tested only 1kOhm resistive load. Isn't speaker an inductive load and that to of a much lower value? I have connected heat sinks to these modules. Do I go ahead and just apply my laptop's output to the input of the module and see whether I hear sound from speakers?

Thanks.

I too have gotten TDA7293 amplifier modules from BNICS. Next step is to try with speaker load. I am somewhat afraid of doing that since their website says that the amplifier modules have been tested only 1kOhm resistive load. Isn't speaker an inductive load and that to of a much lower value? I have connected heat sinks to these modules. Do I go ahead and just apply my laptop's output to the input of the module and see whether I hear sound from speakers?

Thanks.

Hi,

:clapping:Congrats and go ahead if you checked that all part are in correct place with correct orientation.:thumbsup:

And once everything works, in the spirit of modding go here and do what it says in "Enhancing low frequency performance".

Best,
\-k

Thanks. That's a good website. I used the values given in TDA7293 datasheet. I found drums and tabla had enough depth. These mods will be a 10 minute job for me since I soldered the board myself. What I would like to know is whether it's worth trying it out since TDA7293 datasheet says that increasing values of these capacitors have no effect on frequency response?

And once everything works, in the spirit of modding go here and do what it says in "Enhancing low frequency performance".

Best,
\-k

I too verified orientation of all components like suggested by omishra. Electrolytic capacitors wired the wrong way can spell disaster.

While TDA7293 doesn't show a frequency response graph, BNICS website does show this frequency graph.
AMPPCB1-2.jpg

Thanks. That's a good website. I used the values given in TDA7293 datasheet. I found drums and tabla had enough depth. These mods will be a 10 minute job for me since I soldered the board myself. What I would like to know is whether it's worth trying it out since TDA7293 datasheet says that increasing values of these capacitors have no effect on frequency response?

This article provides the procedure for testing TDA7293 amplifier modules.

Thanks.

Back