DIY : Transmission Line Speakers.

Its great that you could find a substitute driver for the Fostex and also the low frequency is good with only a marginal distortion. I have never built a TQWT type TL enclosure and hence do not have any experience in this design. Since you are mass-loading the line you can try using 10% to 20% of the cross-section area for the port vis-a-vis the cros-section area of the line as a starting point. Also do not have the port too long else it will behave line a vented enclosure. If the damping is increased below the woofer then it would behave like an Aperiodic enclosure too. If experimentation is easy then you can try many things with your first design and finally arrive at the correct design for your drivers.

Hi,
I finally played around with the port length/size this weekend, and finally decided to keep it a little short. That way i dont loose out much on power, yet get the low frequency lift !
I played a test 50hz track, and i could make out the difference with and without the port. The Low Frequency spectrum seems to be more clean and neat than before :)

what was the cost of your build? could u make me the crossovers?

Yes, i could make the crossovers for you. Let me know the specifications etc for the same.
I havent yet summed up the total cost, a few things still need to be done... it will turn out to be around 12k to the max, i suppose.

sorry, i used my Dad's account to reply !
-pranavkumar

Last edited:
Hey Folks,

I finally found out a little time to complete these speakers.. :)
All done and ready :) Sound Beautiful :)

Here are some pics
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

DSC03899.JPG

The link to the updates album is :
https://picasaweb.google.com/111910...authkey=Gv1sRgCNGUoaaYk7ns2gE&feat=directlink

Check out the album :)

Last edited:
Logo & all eh, way to go! Hope some delhi FM's come over to your place to hear them & that they report back on the thread or start a new one.

:)

Hey Folks,

I finally found out a little time to complete these speakers.. :)
All done and ready :) Sound Beautiful :)

Here are some pics
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

DSC03899.JPG

The link to the updates album is :
https://picasaweb.google.com/111910...authkey=Gv1sRgCNGUoaaYk7ns2gE&feat=directlink

Check out the album :)

Great finish and build quality. Am sure they also would be sounding good.

Just asking out of curiosity, why is the distance between woofer and tweeter so huge. Won't they suffer from integration issues with 2 point source. As per my knowledge the distance between woofer and tweeter should be as minimum as practically possible so that the vocals / instrument appear to be from a single point source and not distinct. That's one of the reason why many prefer a full-range driver as the entire sound is coming from one point source.

why is the tweeter recessed? Why have you left space on the sides of the 'looks' panel. as hari said, tweeter should be close to the woofer. I guess since you adapted from a full range design, you placed the tweeter in an ad-hoc location. can you post the xo schematic.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back