Do I need an AVR?

vignesh.e

Hi all,

I'm Vignesh from Bangalore. I've passively read numerous "which AVR" threads in the past 6+ years :)

All my hifi audio content will be Tatasky HD or Chromecast. I wont watch movies in DVD/BD. I've listened few AR Rahman songs in FLAC (in my mobile phone only) and felt the difference over MP3 but honestly, HD songs/sports what Tatasky provides will be the source mostly.

I've mulled over YHT2910 but realized 3067+ BA A26 stereo may be enough for me. Then I thought, why dont I buy Norge amp+norge spk (and support an indigenous brand). Another day I will think, its investment for 5+ years, let me go for best, < Rs. 50k with 4K pass thru. Taga's are too tempting but my hall will become crampy. Denon and Marantz add to the confusion. Sony also sells a wireless sub. Whaferdales, Polks, Sonodynes...

I agree, an AVR will also save from wiring hassle if everything is HDMI, and I'm not a bass heavy guy. I may skip a sub due to space constraints. As usual, thoroughly confused. I've auditioned YHT196 and 2910 but felt that the satellites are just okay. I came running out of Bose and ProFX showrooms looking at the price. I've also listed to Onkyo 3500 in past but not too excited. Even thought of a FiiO PCM DAC and feeding current speakers!

Hall breadth is 10.5 ft, viewing distance will be 9 ft. TV unit is 7 ft x 3.5 ft plywood with 4 inch gap for wiring from wall. TV is Sony 42". Currently, 7 year old Philips SPA 2341 (2x 8 W satellite, 14 W sub) is RCA-connected to STB.

So gentlemen, do I need an AVR?!

Attachments

• Hall_view.jpg
    Hall_view.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 139
  • TV_unit_view.jpg
    TV_unit_view.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 138
You should get a receiver only if you intend to have a 5.1 or more speaker system. If not get a stereo amp. Moreover, if TV is going to be your primary source, I would get a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelves.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. My only worry about a non-AVR setup is decoding of Dolby (sort of future proofing).

AVR will not save you wiring hassles. If you go for 5.1 setup eventually then it will be a lot of wires.

Considering that stb is the main source, listening space is small and budget constraints, I feel a soundbar like polk magnifi mini will do the job. You will get a wireless sub with HDMI inputs. It decodes dolby digital. But sound will not be 5.1. Again, as you are not into movie playback, that is not essential.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would suggest to go for a stereo amp + Floor Standers (as you are not a bass guy, the bass from FS will suffice the need for low freq signals)
Also for a moderate movie watcher, the Stereo Amp + FS Speaker setup will do a decent job.
You may add a sub later if you feel if there is a need for more bass.
Best approach is to audition as much as you can........ see what both AVR and Stereo Amp routes offers to your ears....what pleases you, based on that make your moves.
All the best!!

I agree, an AVR will also save from wiring hassle if everything is HDMI, and I'm not a bass heavy guy. I may skip a sub due to space constraints.

So gentlemen, do I need an AVR?!

Yes.. AVR will suit you better.. Any basic AVR these days have the capability of HD-MA. Since you don't have much space, you can make it 3.0 set-up, center channel brings the movie alive..

You can place a BS & center speaker on your TV unit..

I Think a Sound bar will do the job, Like Polk Magnify mini also have a wireless sub woofer. Hope Profx can offer better price , or go for active speaker Genelec Speakers. Its superb in sound quality. Hope this will be a better option too, again genelec will be little costly, please experience genelec near to swami Vivekananda road . if required i will help you to get a better price

Thanks for all your replies and offers to help. This is the best part of this forum!

I wasn't paying attention to soundbars until now. Polk MagniFi looks attractive.

Today I was testing a movie clip with 5.1 audio, played in VLC player in my computer with stereo output. I thought VLC will downmix 5.1 to 2.0 however some dialogues were not at all clear (speakers were playing some loud background music but dialogues were too feeble). After some reading, I understood that downmix isnt a child's play.

My question is, whichever route I take (integrated 2.0 amp, sound bar, AVR with LR book shelves), would the aforementioned be solved? (I have mentioned that I dont watch movies often but realised this snag about down conversion). Thanks again!

Hi

You get movie clips with ACC stereo as audio options or come in 2 channel....download those files...the size too will be much smaller.

Ya thanks for the tip. I will remember this when downloading.

My intention was to find out what would I loose if I have have a stereo setup, or can I have a setup which can faithfully reproduce necessary information from a 5.1 to 2.0

Usually 2 channel audio is encoded inside 5 channel audio file. So the player should be able to bring out all the sound even if the output is 2 channel. In Windows operating system also you can select output as 2 channel

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back