Do you know about the new legislation on free internet, SOPA

Regarding the costs involved in overheads and operational costs of theaters and malls, etc.

As a consumer, I would like to ask why pay exuberant amounts to actors, 30k cr., etc. and force us to share the cost?

But the Motion Picture Association of America estimated

And, on the basis of their biased estimates, laws are to be made? We can say that the tobacco industry estimated that tobacco was not an addictive drug. Or, simply, lied about it.

Here's an interesting perspective I found on boingboing (Lies, damned lies and piracy statistics)
As a rough analogy, since antipiracy crusaders are fond of equating filesharing with shoplifting: suppose the CEO of Wal-Mart came to Congress demanding a $50 million program to deploy FBI agents to frisk suspicious-looking teens in towns near Wal-Marts. A lawmaker might, without for one instant doubting that shoplifting is a bad thing, question whether this is really the optimal use of federal law enforcement resources. The CEO indignantly points out that shoplifting kills one million adorable towheaded orphans each year. The proof is right here in this study by the Wal-Mart Institute for Anti-Shoplifting Studies. The study sources this dramatic claim to a newspaper article, which quotes the CEO of Wal-Mart asserting (on the basis of private data you can't see) that shoplifting kills hundreds of orphans annually. And as a footnote explains, it seemed prudent to round up to a million. I wish this were just a joke, but as readers of my previous post will recognize, that's literally about the level of evidence we're dealing with here.

In short, piracy is certainly one problem in a world filled with problems. But politicians and journalists seem to have been persuaded to take it largely on faith that it's a uniquely dire and pressing problem that demands dramatic remedies with little time for deliberation. On the data available so far, though, reports of the death of the industry seem much exaggerated.

I just noticed that the quote is an extract from SOPA, Internet regulation, and the economics of piracy on Ars Technica

Last edited:
As a consumer, I would like to ask why pay exuberant amounts to actors, 30k cr., etc. and force us to share the cost?

This is controlled by supply and demand. Not everyone can get that price. That are yet many artists that get 10-15K a month. The reason some charge this much is simply because having them onscreen sells! A producer who is spending 100 crores on a movie does not want to take any chance.

If you don't want them to charge that much just don't see their movies. Create a Anna Hazare against SRK!!:)

Cheers

This is controlled by supply and demand. Not everyone can get that price. That are yet many artists that get 10-15K a month. The reason some charge this much is simply because having them onscreen sells! A producer who is spending 100 crores on a movie does not want to take any chance.

If you don't want them to charge that much just don't see their movies. Create a Anna Hazare against SRK!!:)

Cheers

this hasn't resulted in 'better' films though. in the 90s talent agencies like CAA and ICM began to contract out actors, directors as commodities to studios. since they get 10% of their clients fees it is in their best interest to inflate the cost of making a movie.
the media too feeds this frenzy by equating quantity with quality. read reports about movie budgets, list of top grossing films, salaries paid to top stars etc.
it is a tragedy of this high art that a movie that lingers in the top ten list for at least five weeks becomes a 'good' movie.

Who is forcing you?

Yes, I understand the option is left to us. However, this is something that we should take into consideration......while we consider other factors.

Of course, we are free to not watch movies in theatres and majority resort to the option that is free to them!!!!

"Being an actor, while certainly overpaid, is not an easy job." I bet there are a lot of hardest jobs out there!

"Being an actor, while certainly overpaid is not an easy job"

Actors are rarely overpaid. Some struggle, some make a decent living and a few who have proved and honed their skills may even attract big money. It is stars who are paid obscene amounts of money. But stars should never be confused with actors. Stars can strut and preen like a pampered kitten. Stars can dress up or dress down. Stars can ham from here to eternity. Stars can hide their mediocre emotive skills behind dark glasses. They can shoot fake guns and get stunt men to risk their lives while they get all the applause from the audience. But stars can't act. They can command big money for their non existent acting skills because the audience which flocks to watch them is not interested in acting or cinema. Both the creators and consumers of blockbuster films are part of a crudely manufactured and synthetic 'reality' which bears no resemblance to actual human life.

Consider this: In USA you will pay USD 5-20 for a CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD/BD. In China you will pay CNY 10-25. All these prices are the price of a burger/sandwich. In India to buy an original CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD/BD with high quality build and engineering at 4-10 times the equivalent price. If these items were available in India at same relative affordability, piracy would be a lot less. Many people steal because it's easy to steal software, there is very little chance to get caught and it doesn't feel so immoral. If all these factors were not true, there will be much less piracy.

Scale of economies! Companies like T-Series and Moser Baer can produce and sell CDs/DVDs at INR 50, why can't Sony/BMG/EMI/Venus do that? Okay, they have higher level of quality and engineering, granted, so lets put a premium. Make it 20-25% costlier. But 4-10 times the cost? Now that's asking to be pirated.
+1. If you consider 'purchase power parity' of Rupee vis a vis a USD, we are being grossly overcharged for everything, from cosmetics to consumer electronics and everything in between.
Rs 200 for 3D ticket for Cars 2 is barely enough to cover the cost of the eyewear. US audiences pay a $3 premium for a 3D film, bringing the total to $12 to $15.

I'm not sure in USA but here in India, the 3D glasses are taken back at the end of the movie.

So what is being referred to here?

I'm not sure in USA but here in India, the 3D glasses are taken back at the end of the movie.

Not only that, they dont even provide them for kids in smaller sizes even when they are running kids movies. Atleast have a small and large size if not more.
The glasses couldn't have possibly cost more than 25 bucks. The deposit they took for that was 100 bucks.

+1. If you consider 'purchase power parity' of Rupee vis a vis a USD, we are being grossly overcharged for everything, from cosmetics to consumer electronics and everything in between.

Yes, in the USA and everywhere the glasses are recovered after each screening. The distributors have very firm rules concerning the cleaning of the glasses before they are given to the next patron. They must be properly washed and sanitized to eliminate any undesirable biological material that may have been left by the prior user. No one wants an infection from watching a movie. That is why there is a surcharge for the 3D screening.

Goods in India do cost a lot more for many reasons. The one that takes the frosting off my cake is that if I want to drive an A4 in Chennai, I must not only pay the Germans for the my car, but I must also buy one for someone in government. It is up to Indians as a whole to change that.

They must be properly washed and sanitized to eliminate any undesirable biological material that may have been left by the prior user.
Hmm, 200 bucks (about 4 USD) for cleaning glasses!! Man you are very generous.:)
Goods in India do cost a lot more for many reasons. The one that takes the frosting off my cake is that if I want to drive an A4 in Chennai, I must not only pay the Germans for the my car, but I must also buy one for someone in government. It is up to Indians as a whole to change that.
I'm not saying that these companies are overcharging. You are bang on target on that account. Some of us are trying very hard (read Hazare and company) but many more hands are required to help getting there.

"Being an actor, while certainly overpaid is not an easy job"

Actors are rarely overpaid. Some struggle, some make a decent living and a few who have proved and honed their skills may even attract big money. It is stars who are paid obscene amounts of money. But stars should never be confused with actors. Stars can strut and preen like a pampered kitten. Stars can dress up or dress down. Stars can ham from here to eternity. Stars can hide their mediocre emotive skills behind dark glasses. They can shoot fake guns and get stunt men to risk their lives while they get all the applause from the audience. But stars can't act. They can command big money for their non existent acting skills because the audience which flocks to watch them is not interested in acting or cinema. Both the creators and consumers of blockbuster films are part of a crudely manufactured and synthetic 'reality' which bears no resemblance to actual human life.

Parts of what you say are true. Most of this is your opinion though and not everyone will subscribe to it. Stars can act. That's what makes them stars in the first place.

Besides, don't you feel the need for some movies to be entertaining and NOT have a resemblance to actual human life? Imagine if all movies were a reflection of the drudgery we face every day.

Anyway, I'm going OT. I heard and read that more file-sharing companies have been shut down, including FileSonic.

Life need not be drudgery. A life lived with a 'liberated' imagination is an adventure. A life 'chained' to entertainment can become a drudgery once the source of that entertainment and sensationalism (mainstream films, television, print medium, bestselling fiction and music) is withdrawn. But you are right. This is merely my opinion and not a universal truth.

Actually these comments are not really OT. We deserve to get value for the money we spend on a movie ticket! If an Andrei Tarkovsky film was being screened in a multiplex I would feel happy, privileged, to buy a ticket for 500 bucks. But for what is actually being screened I grudge even the 100 bucks I am spending :)

Brothers,
It is an entertainment industry. Companies are there to make profits. Huge profits if possible. And no you will not have any say in how much profit they should make. I guess what you all are talking about is class struggle where few would hardly care about money spent which others may find insanely expensive. This class struggle has a long history and in recent times was opposed angrily by many around the globe as they sees it as a corporate greed.
-x-x-x-x-
Giving 30 crores to shah rukh for shaking his hips and delivering dialogues with stutter doesn't makes sense but makes perfect business sense.
Don 2- Theatrical Trailer !!! - YouTube
What a silly blatant copy of stylish westernised sleek production.I will watch original Amitabh Don with silly songs any time than this atleast they were faithful to things they were making.

It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us. - Isaac Disraeli

Hiten and Ajay: Good points. Movie companies are spending more and more money making the movies. Not just actor/star salaries but on the actual film-making process itself. These costs have to be recovered, right? On top of that, profits must be made.

As Hiten said, its a business, an industry. I work for a top Hollywood studio and I know we spend millions on every movie to pull in the big names and advertise like crazy. It's what the masses want. How many people know and will spend money on watching Tarkovsky? How many will do the same for Michael Bay and Megan Fox? The answer may not appeal to our sensibilities but the business truth is, Megan Fox will sell more tickets.

In this industry, there will always be precious gems that come about. Films that tell a great story and tell it well. Films that can change lives. However, these are few and far between. Meanwhile, a sea of people are waiting to watch huge explosions, giant robots, talking animals and barely-clothed 20 year olds leaning over muscle cars.

Sad but true.

Just referring to high amount of paycheck given to actors:p There are risk involved too..

Most of the films taken here were by political goons or with support of them.. As like shown in the movie "Sivaji the Boss" they will give money to complete the assignment and come and take half after their work completed and pending they will inform the IT dept to take care of..

So it is the case of top actors too, if the movie fails and recover the spent money the above will happen:p:p

The audience is selling itself cheap. They too should demand 30 crores for enduring three hours of what is supposed to be 'entertaining' cinema :)

And they will happily send you to a lunatic asylum and lock your up. :lol:

Cheers

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back