Does Airtel DTH/Reliance Big TV DTH offer better picture than Tata?

DTH with best image quality

• Total voters
Hi,
Question in subject Does MPEG4 in favor of MPEG2 help? And how does the user interface of Reliance compare to that of TATA Sky?

Hi,
Question in subject Does MPEG4 in favor of MPEG2 help? And how does the user interface of Reliance compare to that of TATA Sky?

well mpeg4 offers better compression/picture quality ratio.
well user interface of big tv ain't that good ,may be better suited for old people or who have trouble reading small letters.
i definetly like airtel interface the most.

Last edited:
i had big tv earlier now i hav ts+.

big tv's pic quality is the best, undoubtedly. apart from that big tv sucks.

MPEG4 is compressed than MPEG2,so ideally 2 is better than 4.But may of us have experienced signal failure in rainy days.
I think 4 can be better choice as data transmitted use less bits tha 2,so signal failure can be less.

I have not done any comparison but TATA Sky looks stunning on my Philips 29PT8836. Channels that shine are Star World, National Geographic, BBC & BBC Entertainment.

Tata Sky and Dish TV are the worst of the lot, Airtel is marginally better. Tata Sky + over component is better still, and Reliance Big TV over component is the best. but Reliance's interface is terrible, absolutely, as is their customer service, therefore, i think all things considered, Tata Sky+ over component is a good compromise.

Tata Sky and Dish TV are the worst of the lot, Airtel is marginally better. Tata Sky + over component is better still, and Reliance Big TV over component is the best. but Reliance's interface is terrible, absolutely, as is their customer service, therefore, i think all things considered, Tata Sky+ over component is a good compromise.

totally agree. am using it via component and pixellations are a lot less than via RCA.

totaly agree,but for people who find TS+ a bit expensive i would go for airtel,if u can bare with issues of big tv,then its the best in terms of PQ.
BTW big tv interface looks like as if a kid as designed it.

still suprised to see no one here as bought the sun DTH HD,which has HDMI out.

yeah, i am really curious to see how it is...no adventurous early adopters among our videophile brethren on these forums??

totaly agree,but for people who find TS+ a bit expensive i would go for airtel,if u can bare with issues of big tv,then its the best in terms of PQ.

Yes - in some years time if the rates do not drop you can afford a LCD then:eek:hyeah: Sun Direct HD

BTW some channels are provided in HD - they look great

What's wrong with the Reliance interface?

it's very clunky to use if you compare it with the Tata Sky or the Airtel interface, it is non-intuitive, slow and poorly designed.

+1 to that - tata sky interface is the best IMHO - though at times the menu stops stops responding or has a stretched that can be fixed only when the STB is restarted

Did a long comparison between TataSky and Airtel. I have both DTH Boxes at home.

- Hooked up both to my receiver on different composite AV inputs. Composite monitor out to the same AV input mode on my PV8
- Viewing distance varied from 1 ft to 10 ft.
- Watched all sorts of channels. Obviously the same channel on both boxes when comparing.
- Could easily and instantly switch between the sources, using the AV selector on the Denon. Almost negligible time lag between the switches.

Honestly speaking, there was no noticeable difference. Or I have bad eyesight. (btw, I don't wear specs and have normal eyesight otherwise).

Only on one channel - Star Sports during some golf programme did I feel that Airtel had a weeeeeee weeeeeee bit more richer grass colour. The difference was so negligible that, were I to choose between the 2 sets, I wouldn't keep PQ as a consideration. Would rather look at features/price/service etc.

Btw, I prefer the TataSky interface. It's easier to use IMO.

Last edited:
Signal wise Reliance is better. Usability wise Tata Sky is the best. My parents get confused using Reliance UI and I am the defacto support contact. SInce I got them switched to TS, end of support calls.

well my grand pa prefer the big tv interface,he say its easier to see,with big font sizes.but i prefer the airtel interface.
best part of airtel is the universal remote.works flawlessly,on the other hand big tvs remote looks like a kids toy remote,but it is comfortable to hold.

btw poll results carry no wait, i mean tata sky is better then tata sky+:rolleyes:

Last edited:
well my grand pa prefer the big tv interface,he say its easier to see,with big font sizes.but i prefer the airtel interface.
best part of airtel is the universal remote.works flawlessly,on the other hand big tvs remote looks like a kids toy remote,but it is comfortable to hold.

btw poll results carry no wait, i mean tata sky is better then tata sky+:rolleyes:

off topic but the onkyo remote works on tata sky effortlessly - i use that to control the TV, receiver, tata sky and odccasionally (borrowed from neighbour) the borrowed samsugn DVD player works too.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back