Does Amazon Prime play movies in DD+?

ISO

I have apple TV3 hooked to Yamaha AVR through HDMI. I checked iTunes movie previews plays in proper dolby Digital plus but amazon prime movie previews play only in stereo. For e.g. 'War' movie preview plays in DD+ on iTunes but only stereo on Amazon.

Does Amazon Prime play movies in DD+?

Are you playing on a browser? If you play on an Amazon firestick, you can enjoy multi channel experience. Browser I believe is restricted to stereo.

MaSh

I used Firetv stick as well as nVidia Shield for Prime video, I do get DD+. I am not sure about the DD+ support for prime video app on the Apple TV.

Are you playing on a browser? If you play on an Amazon firestick, you can enjoy multi channel experience. Browser I believe is restricted to stereo.

MaSh

Thanks. I have Apple TV3 on which there is 'Prime Video' app. Apple TV is connected to one of the input of AVR.

Thanks. That sucks. 'Prime video' is official app on apple TV. why it is not supporting DD+?
Quoted from Prime video support:

Note: Supported features differ based on the specific model and configuration of the mobile device being used. Not all Prime Video titles support all features.

Android devices
  • Streaming Video Quality - up to Ultra HD
  • Sound quality - up to 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Atmos --> 5.1 on Android
  • Closed Captions (Subtitles) - Yes
  • Live Streaming - Yes (on the latest Prime Video app)
  • Audio Description - Yes
  • Live ad support - Yes (on the latest Prime Video app)
  • Ad supported channels - Yes (on the latest Prime Video app)
  • Support Website - https://support.google.com/android/
iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
  • Streaming Video Quality - up to HD
  • Sound quality - stereo ---> Stereo Sound Quality
  • Support Website - https://support.apple.com

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Note: Supported features differ based on the specific model and configuration of the mobile device being used. Not all Prime Video titles support all features.

Android devices

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv. Following is copy paste from prime video support.

Apple TV
  • Streaming Video Quality - up to Ultra HD (Apple TV 4K); up to HD (all other models)
  • Sound quality - up to 5.1 surround sound, Dolby Atmos
  • Live Streaming - Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th generation) only
  • Live ad support - Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th generation) only
  • Ad supported channels - Yes, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV (3rd and 4th generation) only
It is funny that despite of this dolby audio support for Apple TV, practically not available for prime video app.

Thanks. That sucks. 'Prime video' is official app on apple TV. why it is not supporting DD+?
The TvOS app supports DD+ as well as atmos
Works absolutely fine for me
Chck and verify the configuration for all the devices on the chain

PS: Do make sure the selected title does have DD+... Jack Ryan S1 is a good test title

The TvOS app supports DD+ as well as atmos
Works absolutely fine for me
Chck and verify the configuration for all the devices on the chain

PS: Do make sure the selected title does have DD+... Jack Ryan S1 is a good test title

That's ray of hope. I will check. Thanks.

Even in firestick , I was forced to change the audio from stereo to DD+ manually for some titles. Check audio options, if you have that

Friends I did some deep research on this matter. It is disheartening to know that DD+ is available only on 4K contains of prime video. Mine is ATV3 only HD not 4K. DD+ support for ATV3 will come in future.

I was seriously thinking of cutting cables and moving to online entertainment but considering foolish policy of amazon, I will have to wait for some more time.

Friends I did some deep research on this matter. It is disheartening to know that DD+ is available only on 4K contains of prime video. Mine is ATV3 only HD not 4K. DD+ support for ATV3 will come in future.

I was seriously thinking of cutting cables and moving to online entertainment but considering foolish policy of amazon, I will have to wait for some more time.
Are you sure about this.
I was under the impression that 4K is prerequisite only for atmos
Regular 5.1 dd (I think and am almost certain ) is available on 1080p titles also.

I get DD+ on Prime video on regular 1080p videos as well. I use Prime Video on my android mobile via my Google Chromecast 3rd Gen.

Regards,
Rajiv

Yes DD+ for 1080P is available for 'Prime Video' on other platforms but not on ATV3. iTune video play fine on surround sound but not prime videos.

Anybody using ATV3?

Android devices

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rajiv
What about the prime video app on PC? Would that support 5.1?

Recently I have checked /compared few English movies through Amazon prime .
Sorry to say the sound quality really sucks ( no offense) eventhough it was 5.1. There is a very major difference between original tracks and Amazon prime sound track.This is just my observation and experience. YMMV.

Recently I have checked /compared few English movies through Amazon prime .
Sorry to say the sound quality really sucks ( no offense) eventhough it was 5.1. There is a very major difference between original tracks and Amazon prime sound track.This is just my observation and experience. YMMV.
Agree but dialogue clarity in 5.1 is much better than stereo. When streaming will start in 7.1?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back