Does presence of optical (TOSLINK) input imply a DAC?

ubitoo

(Feeling really stupid asking this but my understanding of underlying electronics and electricals is very limited.)

If an amplifier (or any other device for that matter) accepts an optical (TOSLINK) input and outputs
an analog signal, then it will always have some kind of digital-to-analogue module which is processing
the input from the optical and sending it out on the analogue.

In other words, when the intention is to output analogue, one cannot accept optical input without also
including a DAC in the processing pipeline.

Am I correct?

No question is stupid.
We all start at the bottom.
Learning and exchange of information and ideas is what these forums are all about.
Yes, a Toslink does mean a digital signal.
Are you speaking of a specific item?
Your last paragraph is not very clear.

(Feeling really stupid asking this but my understanding of underlying electronics and electricals is very limited.)

If an amplifier (or any other device for that matter) accepts an optical (TOSLINK) input and outputs
an analog signal, then it will always have some kind of digital-to-analogue module which is processing

In other words, when the intention is to output analogue, one cannot accept optical input without also

Am I correct?

Yes there is essentially a DAC inside if it accepts TOSLINK.

Am I correct?

The complete signal chain is like this:
SPDIF input (Optical or co-axial) connects to a SPDIF receiver IC which decodes the digital input into I2S format which is also digital. The I2S signal connects to a DAC.
In effect, you can call this entire block as D (SPDIF optical/ co axial) to A ( analog) converter.

So, yes, your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thanks @Naturelover @hifitoaster and @Ravindra Desai the answers are really helpful.

About:
Are you speaking of a specific item?
Nothing specific, I am just reading up on various connectors.

Given the answers, I have a follow-up question:
So if a DAC/Audio Interface provides an optical out and this is used
to connect to an active monitor having optical input, in such a scenario,
the source DAC/Interface will completely be bypassed and the monitor
will, instead, decode using its internal DAC (which should always be
present as implied by the answers). Right?

Thanks @Naturelover @hifitoaster and @Ravindra Desai the answers are really helpful.

About:

Nothing specific, I am just reading up on various connectors.

Given the answers, I have a follow-up question:
So if a DAC/Audio Interface provides an optical out and this is used
to connect to an active monitor having optical input, in such a scenario,
the source DAC/Interface will completely be bypassed and the monitor
will, instead, decode using its internal DAC (which should always be
present as implied by the answers). Right?
Yes, the internal dac of the monitor will be the one used in this scenario. the dac of device with Optical out will be bypassed.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back