Does UPS required for home theatre in loadshedding area?

Dinesh Chawda

Hello everybody. This is my first day with you. I am living in Nallasopara which is under a load-shedding area of Maharashtra. I am planning to buy Onkyo HTS3300 during Diwali. My query is do I need to buy an UPS to save the system from frequent power fluctuations and if yes, then which one will serve best?

See, UPS is for backup and Stabiliser is for protection. Choose based on your requirement. If you require both, go for a good UPS with a good builtin stabiliser, as simple as that.

Moreover, try a search in this forum, it was discussed several times before.

I have sticker on the speaker carton which says something like 'Warranty void if played on Inverter/UPS" hence the question.

I will let the experts chip-in here ..... :rolleyes: even I was thinking of going for a signwave inverter.

There are broadly 3 types of UPS...
1) Offline - In Offline UPS...... This UPS comes in to picture when Power is not available and supply the power to equipment thro battery via an inverter......
When power is available the UPS is in bypass mode and the source power is given to your equipment

2) Line Interactive - Similar to Offline UPS, but only have AVR (Auto Voltage regulator), which enables the UPS to manage the voltage fluctuations...

3) Online - This is a pure double conversion UPS system....in this case you get pure sine wave on output side...moreover, this UPS is always in picture (at the time of power failure and even when power is available)...hence your equipment is always protected from the source and gives clean power at the output side.

I will let the experts chip-in here ..... :rolleyes: even I was thinking of going for a signwave inverter.

Think in reverse, if they allow to use it in UPS/inverter and if something happens on using it in a faulty setup like normal inverters / UPSs which is not at all recommended for electronic devices like amplifiers, they will have to honor the warranty, right?

Hi Sajith,

I Appreciate your concern...but in LI ups anyways the equipment is on direct supply thro a voltage regulator....and it also prevent your equipment from abnormal shutdown when power failure occurs......
Moreover, statement..... "Warranty void if played on Inverter/UPS" ....only means that during power failure the AV equipments should not be played using the power from UPS or Inverter.....It is purely bcoz the output from a LI UPS / Inverter at the time of source power failure is clipped sine wave (Not Pure) which may be harmful to AV equipments....

Hi Sajith,

I Appreciate your concern...but in LI ups anyways the equipment is on direct supply thro a voltage regulator....and it also prevent your equipment from abnormal shutdown when power failure occurs......
Moreover, statement..... "Warranty void if played on Inverter/UPS" ....only means that during power failure the AV equipments should not be played using the power from UPS or Inverter.....It is purely bcoz the output from a LI UPS / Inverter at the time of source power failure is clipped sine wave (Not Pure) which may be harmful to AV equipments....

I agree that all UPS are having cut offs or a voltage regulator similar to normal stabilisers, ie, stepped correction within a range, but all the fluctuations in that range reaches the o/p socket (the correction step voltage say a 30/40v is another fluctuation) which is not recommended for expensive AV equipments.

Running on a UPS means running at the time of power failure as in normal case, mains will be supplied (also low quality sensing circuit can also create noise to the power)

Last edited:
When UPS is not connected than also fluctuations are reaching equipment...then don't you think its better to have UPS
It will prevent the following things
1) Voltage fluctuation above that range
2) It Prevents abnormal shut down during power failure
3) Spikes & surges also gets eliminated with the use of UPS...

When UPS is not connected than also fluctuations are reaching equipment...then don't you think its better to have UPS
It will prevent the following things
1) Voltage fluctuation above that range
2) It Prevents abnormal shut down during power failure
3) Spikes & surges also gets eliminated with the use of UPS...

I really dont understand what you are talking about, Is it for connecting UPS or how to protect your AV equipments from fluctuations. Abnormal shutdown of an equipment will not make any issue unless it is a PC which needs a proper shutdown.

Anyways the thread owner might have got enough idea about what he should do. Else search the forum, you will find enough data.

Last edited:
Here you are wrong:mad::mad::mad:....abnormal shutdown of any electronic equipment may be harmful especially when it is processing something (In receiver's case it can be playing music, movies etc)

And my dear friend its not only abt fluctuations but also abt spikes & surges which are majorly responsible for failure of critical components like transistors, mosfets, IGBT etc....

Moreover, you are correct, Its up to the thread owner what he wishes to do after so much of postings on same topic :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back