Does YouTube support multichannel audio?

gokuljawahar

Hi Guys,

Today I listened to a song in YouTube and it was giving multichannel audio output. There is no display on my Pioneer recieved, but the sound channel was seperated and perfect. Any body experiencing it?

Btw, no surround mode is turned on in my reciever. It's set to direct mode.

Yes, YouTube does provide multichannel audio. Some Rental movies could be watched with best online streaming sound quality and as good as Netflix and Amazon.

If you play youtube in your TV app / mobile app / Android Box app etc, then it gives multichannel audio
But if you play youtube in a PC browser then no multichannel audio

Read in one of the Google tech forum that chrome does not support multi channel audio, but Firefox does.

I really dout if you tube gives mtichannel audio. May be ur receiver is up mixing 2.0 to multi ??? Any clue ??

No..i double checked. Its kept in direct mode. So no mixing by receiver. Can you check by playing the above posted video? I am playing it from my shield

If you play youtube in your TV app / mobile app / Android Box app etc, then it gives multichannel audio
But if you play youtube in a PC browser then no multichannel audio

But usually, when there is a multichannel audio available, the receiver displays what format it is playing... like Dolby, DTS etc. but in this case there is no change in display. but the output is multichannel

Youtube does not support multichannel audio. You can upmix from 2 channel to multi using your preamp.

Are you sure your receiver is in straight mode? not converting 2.0 to 5.1 by its own DSP?

Yes yes...I am very much sure. It's kept in direct mode. And only very few videos give the multichannel output. For other videos, it's just two front speakers that works.

Yes yes...I am very much sure. It's kept in direct mode. And only very few videos give the multichannel output. For other videos, it's just two front speakers that works.
I think youtube supports multichannel from a PC. From my TV(with youtube app via optical) to Marantz SR 8500 in direct mode, it displays only 2 speakers by default. If I use any DSP preset, it turns on 5.1 by its own algorithm to convert the 2.0 to 5.1 by splitting up the 2.0 into some sound objects and placing it appropriately to each channel. Its not perfect though, but still works some how.
On the other hand if i play a 5.1 dvd or blu ray disk rip from hdd or netflix 5.1 videos it immediately shows 5 channel logo in direct mode without any DSP. But, I understand that youtube supports 5 channel, but I think it works only on PC if I am not wrong. Here is how to set it up:

I am not saying on TV its not possible, depends on tv manufacturers setup. Youtube has real 5.1 content then.

I think YouTube supports 5.1 channel. I had a chance to test it via silk or firefox browser in Fire TV earlier. I will check again and update.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back