Don't want the AVR on if watching normal TV

Archit Batra

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a pioneer VSX 329k and paired it with Polk TL 1600, all the connections are made and is working good. My query is regarding, the standby feature : I don't want the AVR to be on unnecessarily if I'm watching basic TV. How do I achieve this?
All suggestions welcome, thanks.

Option 1
In standby mode, power has to be switched on and not the AVR. That is the minimum requirement for a standby. You shouldn't be worrying as it consumes very less power.

Option 2
If you have a ARC in your TV then setup box hdmi can go directly to TV and TV ARC will send the sound to your AVR. In such case, you need not even power on the AVR. You also need to check whether ARC supports full HD audio.

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a pioneer VSX 329k and paired it with Polk TL 1600, all the connections are made and is working good. My query is regarding, the standby feature : I don't want the AVR to be on unnecessarily if I'm watching basic TV. How do I achieve this?

So what is the issue? It is not working even after enabling it in the menu system? Did you follow the steps mentioned in the manual?

Once the option is in enabled, all that is needed is the Sources to be connected to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver itself in Stand By mode. There must also be an option to define which source the receiver to switch to in Stand By mode, either the last viewed source or any specific source. Well that's how its in Marantz. Should be on similar lines in Pioneer too.

MaSh

1. Switch on everything as normal.
2. After the signal start coming, switch off the AVR( it will go in Standby mode).
3. After a gap of few seconds, signal will go directly to the TV.
4. Check the settings in the TV. Sound setting should be `TV Speakers', not `Audio System'
I generally watch TV in this mode only everyday.

I am also some times want to use this feature. I have Denon x1200w avr. When proFX guys setup, this feature working well. After that I don't know what I changed... now its not working. When switching of the avr, now its not passing the signal to tv. TV showing no signal! I tried every thing on avr and tv also, but unable enable this feature.
Some suggestions please

Please check if any options available to turn on "Standby pass through". It should work.

Thank you sunilkm. In HDMI options with the name of "Pass Source" one option is there. Unexpectedly I changed it to MediaPlayer. So when I putting AVR off, its searching of MP. When its not getting MP, then its showing as no signal. Now I changed it to Cable/DTH, so now its working:eek:hyeah:

Hi Folks,

I had pretty much same situation, so what i did is, i hooked up my DISH hdmi directly to my TV, so when i turn these 2 On, i get sound from TV speakers. Then I hooked up my HT media sources like Apple TV, Dune etc to AVR then AVR hdmi output to the TV, so when i play any file on these sources i get audio and video both from AVR, hence to my bookshelf speakers.

thanks for all the suggestions, but it seems my AVR ( pioneer 329 K )doesn't support the TV standby option ..i'm rather surprised as it seems higher models does. what is the work around this?

I had pretty much same situation, so what i did is, i hooked up my DISH hdmi directly to my TV, so when i turn these 2 On, i get sound from TV speakers. Then I hooked up my HT media sources like Apple TV, Dune etc to AVR then AVR hdmi output to the TV, so when i play any file on these sources i get audio and video both from AVR, hence to my bookshelf speakers.

Thanks, question : In the setup you have .. do you get the output on your AVR for the HD channels on your STB?

I read somewhere here, a few months back that satellite tv connection constantly emits some amount of electricity, which might adversely affect the HDMI board of the AVR even when it is switched off. So you would be better off connecting satellite directly to TV. Maybe somebody more experienced can elaborate on this.

Thanks, question : In the setup you have .. do you get the output on your AVR for the HD channels on your STB?

No.. Its not possible.. To have the HD channels audio (which is majorly DD), you will need the AVR to be powered ON. No AVR will passthrough the DD/DTS audio to the speakers in standby mode.

It is like.. you have a 4G phone (speakers in your case) with 4G sim (HD channels in your case) & wants to use 4G without enabling the data connection (AVR as standby) which is not possible.

Technically, AVR passess through the Audio & Video to TV without any amplification or decoding hence it cannot determine by itself whether it is DD/DTS or any other surround format unless it is turned ON..

AVR is not Rajnikant :yahoo::yahoo:

Also to confirm Pioneer VSX 329 is not enabled to passthrough A/V signals when on standby.. its starts with the very next model which is also the basic entry level model.. VSX 524.:lol::lol:

Since your stb is HD, so it must be having digital audio out (either coax or optical or both). Connect this to digital audio input at the avr. Then you will need to switch on the avr only when you need to.

You can Connect in this way. If your tv have an optical or coaxial audio output, then first Connect hdmi out from your hd box to your tv and then Connect your optical out from your tv to your avr optical in through a optical audio cable.

Since your stb is HD, so it must be having digital audio out (either coax or optical or both). Connect this to digital audio input at the avr. Then you will need to switch on the avr only when you need to.

Hi Anurag,
Do you mean to say by connecting STB through digital audio inout to AVR, will be able to hear the surround sound (DD/DTS) for the HD channel even when the AVR on stand-by..?? I doubt!!

The question here is.. will you get the DD/DTS surround sound from HD channels on the speakers when AVR is on standby..??

Thanks,
Sachin.

Hi Anurag,
Do you mean to say by connecting STB through digital audio inout to AVR, will be able to hear the surround sound (DD/DTS) for the HD channel even when the AVR on stand-by..?? I doubt!!

The question here is.. will you get the DD/DTS surround sound from HD channels on the speakers when AVR is on standby..??

Thanks,
Sachin.
Dear, you have not understood the question. Question is why to keep the AVR switched on while watching SD channels.
Coming back to your first question, of course there wont be any sound unless the avr is switched on.

Guys, thanks... I went with the optical cable solution.
It works, now I only have to switch the avr on when I need to and not every time I need to watch TV.

Dear, you have not understood the question. Question is why to keep the AVR switched on while watching SD channels.
Coming back to your first question, of course there wont be any sound unless the avr is switched on.

Thanks for clarifying.. we both were saying same ;)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back