Dual 1219 worth repairing?

stevieboy

Hi guys,

Have had a Dual 1219 for a while now. Just used to use it for cleaning records. It's a multi play one but the spindle is missing, speed is slow I think. How does the table perform? Is it worth repairing? The arm would certainly be replaced with the spare SME 3009 arm I have. It's only the table I'm interested in right now.

It's an idler so wondering how it would compare to the Garrard... Any and all pointers most welcome. I haven't yet downloaded the manual from vinylengine will do so one of these days.

If it's a good performer was wondering if I should send it off to fixmydual or do it myself after the Garrard.

Regards

Found a nice site with the lubrication points...
http://www.dual-reference.com/Troubles/1200lube.htm

Last edited:
Dual 1219 is considered classic. Each one of us go by particular liking. For me to stay out of DD vs Belt vs Idler controversy have decided to have all three of them. My Pintu (Pioneer) is belt drive, Technics is Direct drive with heavy platter and good heighted platter, which I think takes care of two problems people worry about (one being speed maintaining electronics inducing jerky motion and other that stylus and cartridge performance gets affected due to magnetic force of DD motor) and third I am looking for is Idler drive with 78rpm speed.

So if you already have idler and belt drive see if you like DD turntable.
Regards

Jeetendrabhai, the LP seller from Borivali, Mumbai keeps this model as his reference and refuses to part with it. I believe it is one of the better Duals.

Hi guys,

Have had a Dual 1219 for a while now. Just used to use it for cleaning records. It's a multi play one but the spindle is missing, speed is slow I think. How does the table perform? Is it worth repairing? The arm would certainly be replaced with the spare SME 3009 arm I have. It's only the table I'm interested in right now.

It's an idler so wondering how it would compare to the Garrard... Any and all pointers most welcome. I haven't yet downloaded the manual from vinylengine will do so one of these days.

If it's a good performer was wondering if I should send it off to fixmydual or do it myself after the Garrard.

Regards

Found a nice site with the lubrication points...
New Page

Hi Steve,
Its a good TT IMO.You can self service this one,FM Quad has restored his Dual.You can also take help of Bill aka Bohhey on Ak(fix my dual)or NOtransister of AK.Its worth restoring.

Regards,
Sachin

Agree with Sachin, it is a great TT, if cared for, will serve you for many many years. Would like to see some pics that take us through your restoration effort. All the very best!!

Thanks guys, so it definitely seems a good bet to restore! And I was thinking of giving this away a few months back... :D

Watched a few videos on youtube, quite like the changer idea, thinking now that it would be good to keep the original arm and have a changer for when I don't want to or cannot change records after each side.

Not entirely sure I can get the tonearm working again... It seems quite complicated even though fixmydual has a nice list of things to do.

I think a tentative plan would be to fix the turntable itself first then look at the arm. Will strip it down and post pictures last week of December and take it from there.

What are the popular plinths for the Dual? Multi layered? Squash balls? Fixmydual has a simple hardwood plinth. Am guessing I should junk the springs. All idlers seem to do better without springs...

It's turntable repair season chez Steve! :)

Last edited:
Hiten,

If a DD came my way I wouldn't mind picking it up to see how it sounds... But no dough to spend right now...

Regards

Technics SP 10 Mk II would be the one to look for. Quite rare in India or anywhere else. Mk III is even rarer and Japan only.
Supposed to be comparable with the best out there, irrespective of religious affiliation (a.k.a belt or direct or idler or whatever). But don't buy if it doesn't have the outboard PS.

Technics SP 10 Mk II would be the one to look for. Quite rare in India or anywhere else. Mk III is even rarer and Japan only.
Supposed to be comparable with the best out there, irrespective of religious affiliation (a.k.a belt or direct or idler or whatever). But don't buy if it doesn't have the outboard PS.

I agree,Sp 10 MKII was a broadcast TT,I would also buy SP25/SP15.

Regards,
Sachin

Hope the OP doesn't mind my OT:D

Is Dual 1224 worth repairing? It needs a new Idler wheel and new cartridge.

Does the TT have a pedigree worth taking the trouble of scouting all over the world for a new Idler wheel and a new Cartridge? Will it deliver the goods?

Not OT at all Cap'n! My Dual 1219 doesn't mind. This Dual thread can accommodate Dual requests and Dual personalities and Dual opinions. Let's just not Duel :)

Sachin & Joshua,

Yup those would the DDs from the Technics stable but they would be expensive!

Last edited:
Hope the OP doesn't mind my OT:D
Is Dual 1224 worth repairing? It needs a new Idler wheel and new cartridge.
Does the TT have a pedigree worth taking the trouble of scouting all over the world for a new Idler wheel and a new Cartridge? Will it deliver the goods?
Captain, Just checked. Dual 1219 have better quality arm.
Will it deliver the goods?
I had low/mid end philips idler wheel drive TT and it sounded good. If you like restoring old things, tinkering with turntable setup etc. and more importantly like analogue vinyl sound you can definitely go ahead. Also a working dual will get you good money. if you dont like it but I think you will like the sound.
Regards

Sachin & Joshua,
Yup those would the DDs from the Technics stable but they would be expensive!

The blithering idiot who tried to sell me an SP 10 Mk II could not get the outboard PS, and made me wait for many months. It had beautiful obsidian plinth from Technics, that looked amazingly like dark, rich marble and came with an SME 3009 original arm and Shure V15 Type III cart. That was one of the great misses of my life. It was heavy, real heavy. I could barely lift it off the ground. The only work needed would have been a good sand or glass blast to the aluminium platter. I still secretly harbour a dream of finding one.

The blithering idiot who tried to sell me an SP 10 Mk II could not get the outboard PS, and made me wait for many months. It had beautiful obsidian plinth from Technics, that looked amazingly like dark, rich marble and came with an SME 3009 original arm and Shure V15 Type III cart. That was one of the great misses of my life. It was heavy, real heavy. I could barely lift it off the ground. The only work needed would have been a good sand or glass blast to the aluminium platter. I still secretly harbour a dream of finding one.

I have a Technics SP10 MK2 with an obsidian plinth, and I am yet to come across some one who has a similar machine. I am sure there are a few but not on HFV. Next time you come across a SP10 MK2 without the outboard power supply, let me know, I would be interested :)

I have a Technics SP10 MK2 with an obsidian plinth, and I am yet to come across some one who has a similar machine. I am sure there are a few but not on HFV. Next time you come across a SP10 MK2 without the outboard power supply, let me know, I would be interested :)

I think FM Bhaskar has SP10 MK2.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi jls001
I also missed a deal on Technics SP-25.It was available on AK @ $200,but I responded late.

Regards,
Sachin

I don't think conjuring up a DIY PS for the SP-10 would be a difficult task. I remember quite a few threads for it on Vinylengine and DIYA. It actually makes better sense than buying one with the PS as it would be cheaper that way...

Last edited:
b4cf68dd.jpg

The cute front opening to store cartridges, 45 adaptor, spindle.

338a210f.jpg

e247fcb0.jpg

0fc55ea1.jpg

58f18bee.jpg

Broke the cartridge off one day.

ace56c5b.jpg

b3dda487.jpg

287e2dcc.jpg

The spindle moves around north east south west. Guessing somethings not right inside.

2081ec77.jpg

The massive platter.

b5d68275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevieboy,
I have not come across a Dual 1219. How thick is the idler wheel when compared to Garrard 301? I had a Dual 1229 and it was a fantastic turntable and I regret parting with it. If 1219 is anything like a 1229, it's worth repairing in my opinion
kuruvilajacob

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back