Dual HS-39 Amplifier problem

voodoochild

Hello all,
I managed to pick up a 1974 Dual HS-39 in reasonably good physical condition a while ago. brought it home, plugged it in, and the damn thing started emitting foul-smelling smoke almost immediately, obviously a sign of something major burning out. take it to Balaji, and his mechanic says the input transformer of the amp has burned out. now the transformer is apparently irreplaceable here in india, as there are apparently no substitutes. "go to germany and get it done" he says without batting an eyelid. i came straight home.

a discussion with a local electrician revealed that i could draw the TT output to an external amp and use it without any problems, as the TT seems to work perfectly.

now i wonder, is the transformer actually "irreplaceable" in india? i'd like to retain the Dual and use it in its original form, without any cutting up etc. any advice anyone?

Thanks
rahul

Hi Rahul get the transformer rewound, contact Mr Siva of Corrson on 98455-17730. located at Banashankari. I got my xover inductors wound from them.

Regards,
Anil

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back