DVD player for watching HD rip avi mkv files

dasukhija

Hi Folks

Happy New Year! I have a query.

My Philips 5996 HDMI DVD player doesnt recognize HD rips. I think it has some resolution threshold, beyond which it cant render.

Is there a newer DVD player in the market that can play 720p rips? These are files that are typically 3 - 6 GB in size and render awesome quality. Currently I am watching them by hooking my laptop to LCD via HDMI cable.

No current DVDp supports that.
Get WD media player for 6.5k around & play directly from HDD/flash drive.

Hi,

Yes i don't know any DVDP that can play mkv like file directly. But BDPs like
LG BD 390 can play BDs, DVDs and mkv files too thro USB. Cheaper player like
JVC XV-BP1 can also play mkv files but the file size is limited to 4GB.

cheers,
sri

Thanks. Its not really about mkv files, its about files that render 720p and above. I think even 480p ones arent played. My Philips 5996 and LG DV 486, both play mkv files but of standard smaller sizes. May be I will check out the WD media player in the mall.

5996 should be able to play 720p mkv I suppose?
Atleast my friend who owns one says so..
Did you try different files?

It cannot play 1080p.

P.S: Whats the use of mkv for <720p?

I tried 720p rip of Public Enemis (4.8 GB), 720 or may be 480p of Up (about 2.5 GB) - it recognizes the file and lists in the file system, but it just takes forever to load it... and eventually I give up.

Anyway someone up here has confirmed that it doesnt play HD rips rendering more than 500 lines of resolution. The only product in market that does is the WD HD media player.

I am not sure if the Family Guy rip that I have (in mkv), but its just 180 MB in size as other avis of 21 minute duration. So I dont think its HD rip.

So it doesnt play?
In that case my old DVDp shows Divx file & doesnt play as it is not capable.

BUMP

Is there a DVD player to play MKV files 1080p (or even better mkv and MP4 in the market? What's the best option to view them? How would they look hooking HDMI to laptop and viewing it on the projector compared to the DVD player? How does transfer from laptop via HDMI cable generally compare to DVD player?

Another entirely different question - which is the best philips and other players available in the market right now which can play 1080p upscaling of avi from their files? I am looking at buying a player from the Indian market as I can't find Oppo 980h

Last edited:
oppo BD 80/83 can play mkv.

There are BDp from Sony,Philips,LG,Samsung,Panasonic in Indian market.many may nt play mkv,need to check that.

I don't want to invest in a blu-ray player as I already have a Region A PS3. I want a DVD player which plays mkv, mp4, upscales to 1080p. Which would be the best and/or cheapest option? I was thinking of going for Oppo 980H but I have changed my mind (and also can't find it) as newer players will come which will play mkv mp4 in future for sure.

^^ Move towards WD Player, thats the best bet for playing HD rips of almost all bitrates and resolution.....

WD player? I have never heard of this. Kindly enlighten. Is it available in India or I have to buy from the US?

Last edited:
Googles. Sounds awesome. Should I go for WD or WD Live? I can get one from the US. What's the advantage of WD Live? Is thle WD live available in India same as the one available in the US?

Does it also play DVDs or do I need a DVD player apart from this? Which one would you recommend?

Last edited:
Also which is the best Philips DVD player available in the market and should I go for that or Oppo 980(H). I have to upgrade from my old Philips DVP 5965k and can''t risk playing pirated DVDs on PS3 as it gets the blu ray damaged. Also the DVP5965K changes 4:# videos to 16:9 when it upscales which I find very annoying being very stringent about aspect ratios. I think I will go with 981. This will be the perfect solution. DVDs via 981 and files via WD Live.

I must thank you for all your help over the past few days. You are great, knowledgeable and very helpful.

Last edited:
How will the WD Live attach to the projector (TW 4500)? The video will be via HDMI but for audio I need to attach it to my Sony Music system. Is that possible?

Googles. Sounds awesome. Should I go for WD or WD Live? I can get one from the US. What's the advantage of WD Live? Is thle WD live available in India same as the one available in the US?

Does it also play DVDs or do I need a DVD player apart from this? Which one would you recommend?

Yes WD live is available in India. I dont know which place you belong to, but in Delhi/Noida, almost all known consumer electronics showroom has WD Live with them. The difference between WD and WD Live is just that Live supports Ethernet, contents from Picasa and fliker and component in connection thats it. I am not sure if you would need the Ethernet support, so I'd say go for WD TV, the cost difference is almost 4K.

It does not play DVDs, its a HDD based media player, playes media off external HDDs and Pendrives.

How will the WD Live attach to the projector (TW 4500)? The video will be via HDMI but for audio I need to attach it to my Sony Music system. Is that possible?

If you do not use HDMI for audio, you can use coaxial out for the same, if your sony music system has coaxial input, else normal composite out is also available, but that would not be HD audio.....

There are so many media players online/India.
WD is VFM, Xstreamers is another.,asus another which are available in India.

Back