DVD Player suggestion

hifimusic

Hi
Iam looking for a DVD players with following features.

1. With DivX support
2. USB input
3. robust video format support
4. preferably region free/ can be modded to region free
5. Should also be good CD player

Basically the best DVDP currently within Rs.4K.

BD players seem to be the IN thing - so didn't find recent threads on DVD only players here..

I am thinking of Pioneer but most retailers (online and offline) do not seem to stock it. I am leery of SONY as the ones i cam across like SR660 do not have DivX support. Not sure of Philips reliability..

Please suggest model numbers.

Last edited:
DVD players are getting obsolete. Do you intend to play dvds? If not and are mainly watching download contents then forget dvdp and buy an hd media player or an entry level blu-ray player.

That's a good question.
It is not only to watch the occasional DVD I come across.
But also, play MP3/Audio CDs without having to use the PC. (The music system went kaput)
In effect, the player will also serve as a functional music system for now.

It would anyway be able to take care of downloaded content. Though may be not ALL formats like HD media player, but its fine.

I am yet to get the big screen LCDs so not needing BD player now -
Thats why a DvD Player.

I concur with most responses above. A BDP is a much more versatile option. It can do everything a DVDP does and more.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

But what if someone has old Video CD's. Would this play in a Blu Ray player? And also with Blu Ray Player you have the problem of region lock etc.

But what if someone has old Video CD's. Would this play in a Blu Ray player? And also with Blu Ray Player you have the problem of region lock etc.

Video CDs don't play on either of my two BDPs. But then this is like buying a Mercedes and putting bulls in front to drive it. :p

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Some BDPs like my old Sherwood can play VCDs. I also read somewhere that copying the vcd .dat file to pendrive may work.

Not only BDPs but DVDPs also has region lock. Infact most of the BDPs are region free for DVD playback. So it makes sense to buy a BDP instead of DVD.

Not only BDPs but DVDPs also has region lock. Infact most of the BDPs are region free for DVD playback. So it makes sense to buy a BDP instead of DVD.

Nah. Not sure is BDP are region free for DVD. AFAIK they are 2 separate region encoding for BDs and DVDs.

I was wondering, Can i play my audio CDs in a BD Player?

That's a good question.
It is not only to watch the occasional DVD I come across.
But also, play MP3/Audio CDs without having to use the PC. (The music system went kaput)
In effect, the player will also serve as a functional music system for now.

It would anyway be able to take care of downloaded content. Though may be not ALL formats like HD media player, but its fine.

I am yet to get the big screen LCDs so not needing BD player now -
Thats why a DvD Player.

Hi,

I have 3 DVD players. 2 (LG & Sony) are video up-scaling ones which usb input and record. Let me know if you are interested along with model (check my signature). I will put up on sale for you. These are in excellent condition and have been sparingly used.

Have recently ordered BD player and cant justify usage of 4 players for the 2 TVs that I have!

Thanks,
Vishu

go with an entry level bluray player for sure............DVD players are getting obsolete, just as other forum members have discussed.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back