Dynaudio Audience 52 and Quad12L

dvdmk

I am little bit confused which speaker to buy , i am planning to buy a power amplifier of around 200 watts from a second hand dealer in Kolkatta . He is having an Adcom 545 , NAD 218 and promised me to delivery models against order too. I want a standmount , so i shorlisted to dynaudio and quad , i know that dynaudio needs more power to drive them, but hows the sound quality , and which one is better for the amplifiers i have mentioned. i listen to all types of music inclusing pop , classical , rock etc etc.,

thankyou

david.

hi, I recently listened to the Dyna 52'a and Quad 22L2's. I liked them both for different reasons. But, most important lesson I have learnt recently is that the synergy is very important. Infact, that can totally change the sound. So, what I would recommend is to buy the combo only after listening. If you cannot listen, then go for tried and tested combo. So, in your case none of the combo is a known combo. So, the only way to decide what suits best for you is that if you can tell whats that you like in the music - soundstage, timing, rythm, attack, imaging, tonality etc;
Short opinion on Dyna's are that they are dead neutral and they will reveal your upstream components very much. So, its very tough to pick Dyna's without hearing the whole combination. Quad on the other hand added lot of energy and excitement to the music when I listened it through Cyrus. I would say NAD would pair better as it will tame it a little while Adcom might not be a good choice.
But hear it as much as you can. Even if it means going to another city. Because the buying and selling costs lot more and a lot more hassle than traveling to another city to hear the combo. I suppose for North Bombay should have most of the equipments.

NAD will not gel well with a dynaudio. Dyns need an amp which has a touch of warmth but at the same time is refined and has high current capability. The NAD house sound is quite dry and the top end is rolled off. I'm not a fan of it. Adcom I have no opinion about since I never auditioned one seriously.

:) This is exactly why I was stating its best to listen to it and nothing else like that.
reignofchaos, I have sent you a PM now.

I am little bit confused which speaker to buy , i am planning to buy a power amplifier of around 200 watts from a second hand dealer in Kolkatta . He is having an Adcom 545 , NAD 218 and promised me to delivery models against order too. I want a standmount , so i shorlisted to dynaudio and quad , i know that dynaudio needs more power to drive them, but hows the sound quality , and which one is better for the amplifiers i have mentioned. i listen to all types of music inclusing pop , classical , rock etc etc.,

thankyou

david.

Purely as a speaker comparison i would opt for the Dynaudio Audience 52 over the quad 12 L. How it fares with ur electronics i wont hazard a guess.
The 200 watt Nad will have more than enough grunt for the dyna but the tonality is something that u have to accept. Adcom no clue.
I was and am a dyna fan so my opinion may be a little one sided.
Regards

If I am not mistaken the very earlier Adcoms are based on Nelson Pass designs, I dont know if the 545 is one of them, perhaps you can do a search and see. If it checks out, then you should probably get the NAD.

cheers

do find out the model no of the Adcom as stated by Odyssey the Adcom GFA series were fantastic amps and should be a fantastic combination with the dyns.

do listen to the quad + Nad as wll as tonality is very very subjective ! only you would know as to what works for you. just make sure that you listen to it at least for 30 mins as combinations with an early WOW very oftne end up giving one a headache !

Hello all , thanks for the suggestion , i was out of station so could not reply earlier.

I have auditioned the Dynaudio 52 , it was very good , the bass was very strong , not heard the quads .
Regrding the Dynaudio i like the sound but again i am very confussed because my room is a small one around 140 sq feet. i dont know wheather it will suit my room . Also any suggestion about the the JM LAB chorus standmount speakers.

regards

david.

Hello dvdmk

The speakers you have mentioned are both good in their own respect. i would suggest you to listen to both the speakers before you buy.

As one of the member mentioned , the NADs are a good match for the quads., i dont have any idea of Adcom as i have never listened to them. Also look for Cyrus amplifier if you want to buy the quad 12L2.

mohan

The preamp section is the main culprit for the dry and rolled off sound in Nad??s. The power section is quite decent. I prefer a Nad power to anything from Rotel, Adcom etc? If you can match the poweramp to a valve preamp or even a TVC from promithius, you can attain fantastic sound from a NAD power amp. I personally know someone who replaced a krell 300xi or something integrated with two NAD poweramps in monoblock mode with a jolida preamp. It blew away the krell integrated.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back