Ebay dac build

kaushik

Just assembling an Ebay dac based on AK4393 .Main thread here http://www.hifivision.com/cd-players/16363-6hours-she-will-mine.html.

This thread i will add the pics and assembly details.
After assembly :

closeup of solder side :

one more pic showing ELNA cerafine capacitors and 1% resistors :

It took three hours to assemble , it is very easy newbie also can do it . Paid 33$ for the kit .some points

- it has only SPDIF input.
- separate supply for DAC and converter
-o/p is opamp buffered5532 i guess , moddable
-all major caps near dac and converter are ELNA cerafine
-good PCB and components
- needs two transformer supply one is 18-0-18CT and other 0-9V
LEDs are for power,96K signal ,signal error,Noaudio(?)

It's of good quality for the price - looking forward to your audible impressions.

I'm not sure if those yellow (Thomson?) box-type film caps are polyester, but if so, you can consider upgrading them with Rifa PFR or Wima MKP/FKP polypropylene film caps, subject to availability and space constraints. Resistor upgrades are also possible, for instance to Vishay/Dale or KOA non-magnetic MFRs.

Hi Kaushik,
I have been thinking about a DAC for so long but was always inhibited by the high cost of the reputed brands. And my plans for speaker upgrade is keeping me away from doing a major expense on "something that doesn't emit sound". Your post has given me an option of trying out a DAC build in an economical manner. I will be following this post very closely. Please keep posting the build details along with lots of pictures. And finally would like to hear what you hear from the DAC.
Cheers!

thank you all . itz ready for power up i have 18018 transformer, may grab 09 .letting late at office these days, will pick may be by saturday.

linux guru , i will do upgrade .. for those boxies ..rifa i get here n some wimas too, almost all box caps are 100kpf.will try after some time tedious to remove as the pcb is PTH,thanks my diy hot air gun will help.

some shocking info on the caps these are same caps i have Subminiature Metalized Polyester Film Capacitors (Capacitor)
product1.jpg

claiming some reference grade ..? if the guy sent cerafines may be the poly caps may be of good quality ,letz see ears will tell

vivek , letz hope it sounds good.

Yup, it looks TPC-brand polyesters. Polyesters are better than electrolytics and some ceramics, but C0G/NP0 grade ceramics can easily beat the quoted dissipation factor of ~1% on these polyesters. Polyphenylenes (Wima MKI2 or Rifa SMR) are better at around 0.1% or lower, and Polypropylenes (Wima FKP/MKP, Rifa PFR/PMR, etc.) are even better at <0.01%. The main issue is getting them to fit in the 5mm pitch and space provided.

Yup, it looks TPC-brand polyesters. Polyesters are better than electrolytics and some ceramics, but C0G/NP0 grade ceramics can easily beat the quoted dissipation factor of ~1% on these polyesters. Polyphenylenes (Wima MKI2 or Rifa SMR) are better at around 0.1% or lower, and Polypropylenes (Wima FKP/MKP, Rifa PFR/PMR, etc.) are even better at <0.01%. The main issue is getting them to fit in the 5mm pitch and space provided.

i saw Argen Helder topping kit also uses TPC polysters , sound convincing [noob comment!]..compared with MKS wimas these need1mm more space .But still surgery is possible ...in future.

I am using WBT 3% silver solder .

pending : getting transformers ,after that i will test the unit

Last edited:
Congratulations and all the best Kaushik.

Noob question. Isn't a trafo with two tappings a better option to save space and cost?

I think that config of 18-0-18 and 0-9 may not be available in one transformer. I am a noob.

Kaushik, I see some surface mounted ICs. Were they pre-soldered when you got the pcb ?

Congratulations and all the best Kaushik.

Noob question. Isn't a trafo with two tappings a better option to save space and cost?

some people use 2 trafos for dac/pre's may be isolation or so reasons ,multitap also will work .I have seen grounded grid preamp guy Bruce using 2 separates

4k for enclosure ?? sure the very ultimate DAC deserves, i dont say it is top of the range or mid level .. but 4k is too much.
Once i do it fully i will get a good job done for chassis .
I am getting ashamed of being lazy dog , got the transformers from my reliable source , CRRO cored ,EI types .
Need to sit 1 saturday to wire and test the DAC will do it this weekend

Last edited:
4k for enclosure ?? sure the very ultimate DAC deserves, i dont say it is top of the range or mid level .. but 4k is too much.
Once i do it fully i will get a good job done for chassis .
I am getting ashamed of being lazy dog , got the transformers from my reliable source , CRRO cored ,EI types .
Need to sit 1 saturday to wire and test the DAC will do it this weekend

If the total build cost comes to around 6k (including the 4k enclosure) and if it sounds good, then also I feel the price is justified.

Waiting eagerly for the smoke test results. Please post some more pictures and if possible shoot a video and post it here (if it is too much to ask).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back