Effectiveness of Servo Stabilizer to protect AV equipment

OM_2K19

While Servo Stabilizer offers a reasonable degree of protection against input voltage fluctuation, they take a few seconds for voltage correction due to the inertia of the Servo Motor. Today's AV equipment responds in milliseconds, and this kind of delay may be fatal in extreme circumstances. Here is a fantastic comparison video of Servo Stabilizer with Static Stabilizer (Servo unit is replaced by Solid State control unit + EMI filter). The video's author used various output methods to demonstrate how each device behaves with a change in input voltage.

Hello All,

Reviving an old thread, as I am currently torn between Servo and Static stabilizer for my equipment.
Please tell me if Static has any disadvantages other than the price as I am leaning towards static stabilizer.

Online UPS (if budget permits) probably is the most convenient way to protect expansive electronics. Depending on the model, they can even provide cleaner electricity than Mains. Static stabilizers are primarily used in industrial applications (inductive loads), and I wonder if it might be challenging to get one for single-phase domestic applications.

i am using servo (8kva) for all my audio equipment from last 6yrs, never had any issue, inline i kept one over under voltage relay for more protection.make of servo is vertex .

I am also using 4 vertex servo stabilizers of various capacities in all my systems for the past 12 years. Never had any issue.
Cheers,
Sid

I am using a Krykard servo 3 KVA since 2018. Apart from the occasional short beeping sound during adjusting voltage fluctuations, no issues at all otherwise.
It's pretty accurate at - + 2 units around 230v.
Vertex is also a very respected brand among hifi users here.

A servo stabilizer based on my experience only helps with stable voltage. It’s not the complete power conditioning solution. I have high N-E voltage and the vertex doesn’t provide any protection. Also I am getting hum sound due to noise induced in electricity by other devices. So even though it has inbuilt emi filters it’s not able to suppress noise. Do note I am not advising against a servo as I am extremely satisfied with vertex and highly recommend it for voltage stability but for clean power, performance and protection it may not be the complete solution unless your electricity is clean and no noise is present which is highly unlikely in many cases

Online UPS (if budget permits) probably is the most convenient way to protect expansive electronics. Depending on the model, they can even provide cleaner electricity than Mains. Static stabilizers are primarily used in industrial applications (inductive loads), and I wonder if it might be challenging to get one for single-phase domestic applications.
I thought the same however it is a myth that static stabilizer is suitable only for industrial load. It is extremely successful for audio purpose. There is few manufacturer who are making very good quality static stabilizer with filters. Read this gentleman's experience - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/my-journey-on-securing-my-ht-gear.86672/

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back