Eminence and Fostex

At least 18 inch from the back wall and lots more on the side for the
sound to travel and for the bass to open up I think. I am moving to a bigger
apartment soon, so this will not be a problem. Yes, the carpenter did not do
a good finishing, I think he did not like me standing there all the time saying
`do this' `dont do this' etc. I will get it polished later by a better
one or may be I will do it myself, at the moment I want to listen....

Roushon.

18 inches to the back? In Mumbai - we'd build a bed to use up that space :lol:
More than 18 inches to the sides? Nice cabinets will fit there in Mumbai :lol:

If I were you, I wouldn't polish it. I'd spray automobile paint and go metallic. The slick surface will help sound waves slide better :lol:

Enjoy your OB's and hats off to you for taking the plunge.

Edit: I see you are from Mumbai too - so you know what I'm talking about. I mean about the space.

Last edited:
Hi Roushon,

Congrats on the OB build and the retro looking baffle.

It was a good idea to provide breathing space at the back for the fostex. Could you do one experiment of lining that chamfered area with some damping material(woolen socks will be a good candidate to start with) and post your observations on midrange response.

Regds..

I highly doubt a customs official would have the pricelist of drivers to know whether I am gypping him by mentioning half price .All I know is that I managed to pay less duty , lol. Eminence has a master distributor in india, so does Fane ,another fantastic pro brand , and beyma , RCF ,p.audio .usually for pro drivers importing should be the last option .in your project , are you going active or are you usinf crossovers?

You know now-a-days the custom officials are very internet-smart and keeps informations
handy. May be once you got away but not always. But small orders like from hobbyist like
us may go unnoticed. I am using passive crossover now as you can see in the pictures.
Later I may experiment with active. No time now. Due to lack of time It took me very long to build the amp. So now wants to listen only....I know Fostex and Eminence have
distributor in India and I contacted them. Audire in Bangalore had Fostex but they
did not like small order of two pieces only. Cinetekk in Bangalore keeps all models of
Eminence except Alpha 15A as it does not sell in India. Alpha 15A has very
large Qts (1.26 I think) which makes it absolutely suitable for open baffle. So
to satisfy my personal vice I had no other choice but to import.

Regards
Roushon

18 inches to the back? In Mumbai - we'd build a bed to use up that space :lol:
More than 18 inches to the sides? Nice cabinets will fit there in Mumbai :lol:

If I were you, I wouldn't polish it. I'd spray automobile paint and go metallic. The slick surface will help sound waves slide better :lol:

Enjoy your OB's and hats off to you for taking the plunge.

Edit: I see you are from Mumbai too - so you know what I'm talking about. I mean about the space.

Yeah I know I know. But till I am 60 years old I have government apartment where
I can fit them. Then I may go to some remote village and have my own field and
place the OB on Open Space.......

I also wanted to paint for the smooth transition of sound but the
carpenter was not competent. If you have any suggestion how to go about a metallic
painting then kindly let me know.

Thanks a lot and regards
Roushon.

Hi Roushon,

Congrats on the OB build and the retro looking baffle.

It was a good idea to provide breathing space at the back for the fostex. Could you do one experiment of lining that chamfered area with some damping material(woolen socks will be a good candidate to start with) and post your observations on midrange response.

Regds..

Thanks! I will try your suggestion. The baffle is 1 1/2 inch thick so I had to do that
cut out otherwise the Fostex was not even visible.

Regards
Roushon.

Bedding time...

At the moment playing the OB continuously for 6-7 hours everyday as the
drivers have approx 100 hours bedding time.

Regarding reverse orientation connection for the tweeter (fostex full range in
the present case) in 2nd order crossover, King's design does not suggest the
same, it maitains the same polarity. Does anyone know whether it matters for
OB design? I felt in reverse connection it sounds better, but not sure.

Thanks and regards
Roushon.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back