Eminence and Fostex

Fedex replies

The reply I received from Fedex is as below (relevant excerpts)::

With reference to your email please be informed, your shipment arrived in courier mode. The same has been cleared on consolidated bill of entry. In a consolidated bill of entry, the customs official makes the changes by hand.

Further also be informed in India shipments are been assessed on the basis of CIF vale (Cost + Insurance + Freight) on the total of these amounts the duty is applied. Hence, the assessable value on your shipment shows INR 13218 which is higher than the invoice value.

Please find the details of duty break as requested:
Shipment was cleared as CTH (Customs Tariff Heading) No. 85189000 as per the commodity mentioned in the invoice.

Duty break up:

Basic Custom Duty (BCD) = 10% of Assessable value
Counter veiling duty (CVD) = 10% of (BCD+ Assessable value)
Cess
= 3% of (CVD)
Educational Cess = 3% of (BCD+CVD+Cess)
Special Additional Duty = 4% of (Assessable value+ (BCD+CVD+CESS+EDU.CESS)
Total Customs Duty = INR 4804 (26.86 %) including reimbursement charges, service tax and octroi charges.

Further, I would like to inform you that a communication has been initiated with destination and origin to investigate into the matter with regards to the damaged shipment. Please note the matter is under investigation, starting from the origin and through all transit locations all the way through which the shipment had traveled. Our trace team will keep you informed as soon as possible with the outcome.

We regret any misunderstanding that may have resulted from this situation
and look forward to better serving your future air express needs.

Now I would like to see what action they take against the person who
handled the driver.

This is for your information and to save you from future horror.

Regards
Roushon.

Counter veiling duty (CVD) = 10% of (BCD+ Assessable value)
Educational Cess = 3% of (BCD+CVD+Cess)
Special Additional Duty = 4% of (Assessable value+ (BCD+CVD+CESS+EDU.CESS)

Counter veiling duty - An audiophool must have coined that term

Special Additional Duty - WTF? Idiots! What's "Special" about that Duty?

Educational Cess - we pay this so that politicians can setup their own Educational institutions and live happily ever after by milking parents who send their children there.

Counter veiling duty - An audiophool must have coined that term

Special Additional Duty - WTF? Idiots! What's "Special" about that Duty?

Educational Cess - we pay this so that politicians can setup their own Educational institutions and live happily ever after by milking parents who send their children there.

Yes its one of the biggest frauds pulled on citizens of india by government in the last many decades. Taxes everywhere milking the public then misusing the funds for vested agenda. Case in point : announce with much fanfare the establishment of commando force to protect our cities, lavish crores on them for training and weapons, then after the public has lost its attention, use them for personal VIP security. Or more easily - deploy them them in ways that VIPs are protected while common man suffers casualties during a crisis or emergencies. Our system is not very different form the Oligarchies of past history where all the state resources are used primarily for the elite :mad:.

Despite the bad roads and infrastructure, the only reason I convince myself to pay up my taxes quietly without grudging, is for the Armed Forces and their defense spending needs. Rest of the time I just wait hoping things will change.... :rolleyes:

-Gobble

Eminence received

Last evening I received the Eminence alpha 15a. Excellent!
ICCworld courier. Very good job.

Fedex asked for pictures of the damaged speaker and some more details which
I sent yesterday.

Roushon.

Regarding the custom duty

When we go to some site seeing places in India and where we have to purchase some
ticket to see some monument we indians pay, may be say Rs 10/-. On the side
you will see for foreigner it is Rs 250/- or something huge. After importing the
Fostex from USA (for the first time I am importing) and paying the custom
charge (see a previous post) I feel I am a `foreigner resident Indian'.

Roushon.

Custom strikes again

I received the replacement Fostex driver from Madisound
today. I payed Rs 1000/- as custom charge. I expected
no charge as it was replacement of a defective product.
Now the disgusting thing is that the driver was damaged
in the same way as the previous one except that the mid
cap was intact this time. The side of the cone was squeezed
considerably. I wrote to Madisound to iniciate a legal
action against the custom officials in Delhi.
I have to wait and see. I am helpless in my own country.

Regretfully
Roushon.

Re: Custom strikes again

I received the replacement Fostex driver from Madisound today. I payed Rs 1000/- as custom charge. I expected no charge as it was replacement of a defective product.
Now the disgusting thing is that the driver was damaged in the same way as the previous one except that the mid cap was intact this time. The side of the cone was squeezed considerably. I wrote to Madisound to iniciate a legal
action against the custom officials in Delhi.
I have to wait and see. I am helpless in my own country.
Regretfully
Roushon.

I wish you could take this to them: Your chance to "squeeze"
[IMG2]http://world.guns.ru/assault/m16a1_m203.jpg[/IMG2]

The battle is on

I just sent the pictures of the damaged speakers to madisound as they
have asked for. They did not believe that custom had opened the packets.
I sent relevant proofs.

Hi Gobble, I will definitely write to the contact you gave me now.

In the mean time can someone tell me if the replaced damged speaker
will work as the damage is less than the previous one. I attach some
pictures. The picture 288 is of the undamaged one to compare.

Thank you
Roushon.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 103
I think that the damages to sound will be unnoticable. It will not age very well though. The kinks will be more noticable with age and will get more stressed & weak with age due to cone movement.
If I understand correctly, your previous speaker that you said was damaged had a kinked dust cap - right? If yes, there is nothing to worry about. The dustcap, IMO is unconnected to & has no relevance to sound. The damage would be only cosmetic. In fact you can cut out the dust cap and place a phase plug in its place for an improvement. See here, here & here
No guts no glory :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
chandan,this absolutely sucks :mad:.am just praying u get respite from all this,soon!!!all the best

I think that the damages to sound will be unnoticable. It will not age very well though. The kinks will be more noticable with age and will get more stressed & weak with age due to cone movement.
If I understand correctly, your previous speaker that you said was damaged had a kinked dust cap - right? If yes, there is nothing to worry about. The dustcap, IMO is unconnected to has no relevance to sound. The damage would be only cosmetic. In fact you can cut out the dust cap and place a phase plug in its place for an improvement. See here, here & here

Thank for your reply that I can still use it but not for long. Although
I paid double the price.

The previous driver had more severe kinks on the cone. Not just the dust cap. It was squeezed down on one side.

Roushon

Last edited:
Thank for your reply that I can still use it but not for long.

IMO, you may be able to use it for a long time. One more option is to apply a very thin coat of a diluted water based glue on the whole cone. This reportedly damps and stiffens the cone and lessens resonance. But that's based on what I have read.

I just read this last line. If I understand this correctly this means one or
both of the following:

1. Forgive, forgive and forgive...

2. If you have a problem solve it in the least troubled way to solve it
for yourself only. If this means to be satisfied with less and paying more
even then it is OK.

I think these are the only two properties which make us third world
country.

If today they (custom) get by they we will be more couragious tomorrow.
You import a life saving medicine they fool around with it and you take it.
Then show your guts and be glorious...God does not save anybody unlese he saves himself.

The investigation is ON by myself, Madisound and Fedex.

I will report here.

Roushon.

I just read this last line. If I understand this correctly this means one or
both of the following:

1. Forgive, forgive and forgive...

2. If you have a problem solve it in the least troubled way to solve it
for yourself only. If this means to be satisfied with less and paying more
even then it is OK.

I think these are the only two properties which make us third world
country.

If today they (custom) get by they we will be more couragious tomorrow.
You import a life saving medicine they fool around with it and you take it.
Then show your guts and be glorious...God does not save anybody unlese he saves himself.

The investigation is ON by myself, Madisound and Fedex.

I will report here.

Roushon.

You understand wrong my good friend. No guts no glory would mean that if you do not have the guts to do something, glory will never be yours. You are doing something - what does that say in connection to "No guts no glory"? Quite the opposite of what you understand. Look it up. It's simple. :rolleyes:

You understand wrong my good friend. No guts no glory would mean that if you do not have the guts to do something, glory will never be yours. You are doing something - what does that say in connection to "No guts no glory"? Quite the opposite of what you understand. Look it up. It's simple. :rolleyes:

Maybe a medical checkup where a doctor jabs and feels around his intestines with a palm and affirms they exist might help convince him that ... He's got the Guts?!!! :D

Last edited:
Yes I misunderstood your statement. Actually I am very much irritated
from yesterday after getting the parcel.

Roushon.

IMO, you may be able to use it for a long time. One more option is to apply a very thin coat of a diluted water based glue on the whole cone. This reportedly damps and stiffens the cone and lessens resonance. But that's based on what I have read.

Hi Keith,
This is really a nice solution. But I do not know if it applies for
the diaphragm of FE103En. Will the glue soak in? I may try with the
severely damaged driver. The cone is made from banana pulp I think.
I would have read your solution with a cool mind if I had damaged
the driver myself. The situation is a bit unpleasant.

Best regards
Sincerely
Roushon.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back