Eminence and Fostex

Yes, it's supposed to soak in and then stiffen the fibres. If the kink is severe, then you have nothing to lose.

Thanks again. I will try it.

Latest information: Madisound has washed its hands from the case and passed
the ball to USPS and Fedex. In fact they had tried their best to pack the item
in the best possible way.

Roushon

If you want to import...

This is for information for the hobbyists who want to import, pay all duties and taxes and
also at the same time do not want the custom official to touch their import, an
option is iccworld.com I am not advertising for them but trying to help some
hobbyist (like me). Visit the above site for details. They give you an all-inclusive (all
taxes, shipping, custom duty etc etc.) price and the parcel comes to you without
custom official's touch. This is the way I got the Eminence alpha 15A. I came to know this
after I placed the order to Madisound and the experience as you know.

Roushon.

My driver should come next month. JXR6 HD

I am holding it with Borderlinx until I decide on a few more items and ship them at once. Keeping my fingers crossed <pray!> :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

My driver should come next month. JXR6 HD

I am holding it with Borderlinx until I decide on a few more items and ship them at once. Keeping my fingers crossed <pray!> :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

If you had purchased before through Borderlinx please let us know your experience.

Thanks
Roushon

The King's OB...

Finally completed my open baffle project. It is roaring with clarity and details. Will post
the pics on its making soon.

Roushon

P.S. The investigation by Fedex is still continuing, not sure if they are just buying time
so that the case cools down. Placed strong complaint to both customs in Mumbai and
Delhi. Mumbai custom replied with apology and said they are investigating and will reply
soon.

Waiting expectantly for the pics.

For your next simple project - build the BOFU. Designed by another master - Nelson Pass.
Drivers are on sale for $19 per at PE. :licklips:

Re: The King's OB...

Finally completed my open baffle project. It is roaring with clarity and details. Will post
the pics on its making soon.

Roushon

P.S. The investigation by Fedex is still continuing, not sure if they are just buying time
so that the case cools down. Placed strong complaint to both customs in Mumbai and
Delhi. Mumbai custom replied with apology and said they are investigating and will reply
soon.

Roushon,

Congrats on your new Open Baffle. I have made a similar one but with Tone Tubby speakers and pictures are posted in one of my posts.

I have a question: What did you for the crossover. MJK design talks of crossover components like 9mH inductor and so on. Where did you source them? Madisound?

Secondly my advice to all the DIYers who import things is to use something like Borderlinx. They assess and charge duty upfront and get the items to your door without customs guys touching the same. Must be similar with ICCworld or whatever. Never import yourself directly through courier or post. It does have totally unpredictable outcomes. Sometime you get lucky but most of the time, you are going to get into trouble. There is a replacement Tone Tubby that I got shipped through USPS (as a replacement) and I am still going around post offices and customs. It has been 2 months since it landed in India. Not worth.

Cheers.

Re: The King's OB...

Roushon,

Congrats on your new Open Baffle. I have made a similar one but with Tone Tubby speakers and pictures are posted in one of my posts.

I have a question: What did you for the crossover. MJK design talks of crossover components like 9mH inductor and so on. Where did you source them? Madisound?

Secondly my advice to all the DIYers who import things is to use something like Borderlinx. They assess and charge duty upfront and get the items to your door without customs guys touching the same. Must be similar with ICCworld or whatever. Never import yourself directly through courier or post. It does have totally unpredictable outcomes. Sometime you get lucky but most of the time, you are going to get into trouble. There is a replacement Tone Tubby that I got shipped through USPS (as a replacement) and I am still going around post offices and customs. It has been 2 months since it landed in India. Not worth.

Cheers.

Thanks. I will check your post. I sourced the crossover parts from Madisound, but
did not get exact value. For example I replaced 9mH by 10mH, 68mfd by 70mfd. But I
think that is not much of a difference.

Yes, personally importing is dangerous as I learnt in the hard way.
ICCWORLD is good as you can find out from their ratings in ebay.in.
I got the Eminence intact and later on some dust free chalks through ICC.

Regards
Roushon.

Waiting expectantly for the pics.

For your next simple project - build the BOFU. Designed by another master - Nelson Pass.
Drivers are on sale for $19 per at PE. :licklips:

This evening when I get back home, I will upload the pictures. I just had a look
at BOFU. Looks interesting and must sound good. I always wanted full range,
that is to avoid any crossover, caps etc. But read some good review about King's
design so took it up.

Thanks
Roushon

I got my speaker driver intact. The packaging did not allow for any tampering as it came with a protective hard plastic transparent casing over the cone that fit snugly around the rim.

I will post pics and details later this month as my PC is un-assembled since last one month and I am not comfortable with my laptop except for making quick posts.

Cheers

Just a Tip ,Madisound ,If you ask them ,can devalue the shipped goods value amount by upto 50%,so you end up paying only half the duty.

Interesting! May be this is one of the reasons why the custom officials are
so ferocious. You get 50% discount and when the official find this out
they take the remaining 50% from somebody who is not doing so and
get punished for no reason. Probably I am one such victim. Paid fully and
got the driver damaged.

Roushon.

Am curious - what design do you intend using for this?

The recommended enclosure is 24x20x7cm good for a tabletop and wall mount. This is for my long term project of recreating the vintage valve radio sound. Plan to also get the vintage fabric for its speaker grill.

Cheers

Making of the OB...

I did not find a good carpenter,...Nevertheless it looks good...the baffle is
5 degree tilted towards back.

In next post some more photos...

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 105
Some more...

I think I have crossed the limit of uploading....

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 101
The recommended enclosure is 24x20x7cm good for a tabletop and wall mount. This is for my long term project of recreating the vintage valve radio sound. Plan to also get the vintage fabric for its speaker grill.

Cheers

When I was a kid, Dad had a Tonfunk radio + turntable both in a nice cabinet that all called a radiogram [??]. The front bottom section of the cabinet housed the speakers for the turntable and the radio. Sounded like cr*p. Then my uncle bought a Philips Hi-Q turntable+amp with it's speakers for his home and the MUCH improved sound blew my Dad away. He sold the "radiogram" for Rs.200/- to a neighbours driver and bought the Hi-Q. I suspect the driver bought the damn thing just for the cabinet. The other day, I googled Tonfunk - it threw up links raving about the sound. IMO, Bull! Sheer nostalgic nonsense.
I vividly remember how the Tonfunk sounded and how the Hi-Q was such a BIG improvement over it.
And the thought of you using a $100 driver to recreate that sound - Shudder.
But that's just me. :p

Last edited:
Roushon - how much clearance does it require from the back & sides to sound the best?

I suspect the carpenter did not sand the baffle before he stained/polished it - right? Or did he?

Roushon - how much clearance does it require from the back & sides to sound the best?

I suspect the carpenter did not sand the baffle before he stained/polished it - right? Or did he?

At least 18 inch from the back wall and lots more on the side for the
sound to travel and for the bass to open up I think. I am moving to a bigger
apartment soon, so this will not be a problem. Yes, the carpenter did not do
a good finishing, I think he did not like me standing there all the time saying
`do this' `dont do this' etc. I will get it polished later by a better
one or may be I will do it myself, at the moment I want to listen....

Roushon.

I highly doubt a customs official would have the pricelist of drivers to know whether I am gypping him by mentioning half price .All I know is that I managed to pay less duty , lol. Eminence has a master distributor in india, so does Fane ,another fantastic pro brand , and beyma , RCF ,p.audio .usually for pro drivers importing should be the last option .in your project , are you going active or are you usinf crossovers?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back