Emotiva - Need Suggestions Pl.

shailenderb

Our AV Guru Venkat, in response to one of my earlier queries, suggested Parasound or Emotiva for a high power amp. I find Emotiva to be reasonably priced and zeroed-in on the following models.

1. UPA-2 Two Channel Audio Power Amplifier
125 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 185 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms.
Price: $389

2. USP-1 Stereo Preamplifier
*Now shipping with milled aluminium remote!
Price: $449

3. XDA-1 Differential Reference
Balanced Digital-to-Analog Converter/Digital Preamplifier
Price: $349

Option a) - 1 + 2 = US$ - 838 = Rs. 37710/-

Option b) - 1 + 3 - US$ - 738 = Rs. 33210/-

(US$ = Rs. 45)

These will be brought to India by someone coming from US in June.

Also, I believe Emotiva products support both 110 and 220 volts. Am I right?

Can someone tell me which option should I go with. Personally I would prefer Option b, if the combo is what I presume it to be a pre-power with a built-in DAC of high quality.

I will be pairing this set-up with one of my towers (rated at 150 rms x 8 ohms).

Thanks in advance.

Shailender

You might like to look at XPA 2 instead of UPA 2 ......

Thanks AV for your response. I did check that. Its too powerful for all the speakers (4 pairs - all 150 w rms at 8 ohms) I have. Would not like to buy another pair for this amp.

Regds / Shailender

Shailender, which speakers do you own? What source are you using as player? If you have your music on your pc, then getting the DAC with the volume control seems to be the best bet. Also it depends on how many inputs you need to connect and whether the Emo DAC has provision for so many.

Yes, All Emotiva Products except Subwoofer works with 230 V India Supply.
UPA2 is a good choice, XPA will be over for 150 Watts.

What will be the source for the System, A CD player or a DVD player or a PC ?

If CDP, Go for USP, If PC go for XDA.

iaudio and jatin,

I will be connecting PlayonHD, NAD T-535 universal DVD player, Airtel HD STB and the TV Audio out to the preamp. PoHD and NAD thro optical and the other two thro analogue RCA.

Regds / Shailender

Shailender, which speakers do you own? What source are you using as player? If you have your music on your pc, then getting the DAC with the volume control seems to be the best bet. Also it depends on how many inputs you need to connect and whether the Emo DAC has provision for so many.

I have Marantz, JBL, Pioneer, and LG - all 3-way towers rated 150 rms at 8 ohms.

Regds / Shailender

There are 2 optical in XDA, But no RCA in
There are many RCA in for USP but no Optical.

May be you can try UMC1 which is AV processor and can connect all these.

Bear in mind that XDA and USP are supposed to be much Better than UMC but you will have one device connecting all. I have a UMC and it sounds wonderful.

Or may be of you have cash maybe get both XDA and USP

There are 2 optical in XDA, But no RCA in
There are many RCA in for USP but no Optical.

May be you can try UMC1 which is AV processor and can connect all these.

Bear in mind that XDA and USP are supposed to be much Better than UMC but you will have one device connecting all. I have a UMC and it sounds wonderful.

Or may be of you have cash maybe get both XDA and USP

Thanks Jatin, for pointing out. Let me check their site again before taking a call. I am, anyhow, not particular about optical in since this will be only for music. Thought a DAC-based preamp would be better than an anlogue one.

Cash would not be a problem since money won't be accepted from me:). But then, that itself is a problem, since I can't order too many things.

Regds / Shailender

Dont Know about NAD but PlayonHD , Airtel and TV would be poor on direct Audio out via RCA.

Good source would be PlayonHD via Optical and NAD direct for which no single device fits the bill.

Take UMC into consideration but its lower in DAC Specs and lower Bass management than USP but fits the bill for Connectivity you want.

Airtel I think has only RCA L/R out ? this would go to USP / UMC but not XDA

Advice, DOnt connect TV out, use source to Device directly.

Thanks Jatin, for pointing out. Let me check their site again before taking a call. I am, anyhow, not particular about optical in since this will be only for music. Thought a DAC-based preamp would be better than an anlogue one.

Regds / Shailender

Your inputs are varied and not music specific, so if it is only for music, I suppose there is no point in connecting the TV or Airtel STB or even the playon to the pre-amp or DAC.

If you are looking at multiple audio inputs then USP-1 may be a better choice.

Dont Know about NAD but PlayonHD , Airtel and TV would be poor on direct Audio out via RCA.

Good source would be PlayonHD via Optical and NAD direct for which no single device fits the bill.

Take UMC into consideration but its lower in DAC Specs and lower Bass management than USP but fits the bill for Connectivity you want.

Airtel I think has only RCA L/R out ? this would go to USP / UMC but not XDA

Advice, DOnt connect TV out, use source to Device directly.

Jatin, I'm really not particular about Airtel STB and TV audio. These would be connected only if there are inputs available. Primary connection would be PlayonHD thro optical and NAD thro co-ax, may be. I am even ready to interchange PoHD with HD Dune Prime 3.0 I have in another room, but I may be wasting the Bluray playability without a full fledged HT (which I have in the other room where my Dune is now).

Regds / Shailender

Your inputs are varied and not music specific, so if it is only for music, I suppose there is no point in connecting the TV or Airtel STB or even the playon to the pre-amp or DAC.

If you are looking at multiple audio inputs then USP-1 may be a better choice.

No, Sud, I am not particular about multiple connections. Only PoHD is my primary concern. If there is room, then NAD. Since I don't watch TV, except for an occasional sports and news program, TV audio can be ruled out.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Regds / Shailender

Since you are not concerned about having rca inputs, the XDA would be the better bet. Later on, if you do need to connect analog sources, you can think of getting a pre.

Hi shailenderb,

If you going for XDA-1 DAC to connect it to the power amp directly be aware of the flaw in the volume control implementation.

I read from a review that the DAC spec say "Internal Volume Control: Digitally controlled in increments of 0.5 steps"
Its a slight misleading and don't expect the volume control is in fine increments of 0.5 dB. One 0.5 step increment in volume may increase the volume by 5dB or so. Few found at the lowest possible volume setting of 0.5 the amp itself is loud. I'm not sure if its the issue only with other brand power amps.

Even my NAD motorised volume control increases/decreases the volume by 4dB if adjusted by remote which is fine during the day but annoying at night time listening. I rather prefer to walk to the amp and fine adjust the volume manually.

For the XDA-1 DAC you will not even have the option of fine adjusting the volume manually. Other than the volume control issue the DAC is good.

Hi shailenderb,

If you going for XDA-1 DAC to connect it to the power amp directly be aware of the flaw in the volume control implementation.

I read from a review that the DAC spec say "Internal Volume Control: Digitally controlled in increments of 0.5 steps"
Its a slight misleading and don't expect the volume control is in fine increments of 0.5 dB. One 0.5 step increment in volume may increase the volume by 5dB or so. Few found at the lowest possible volume setting of 0.5 the amp itself is loud. I'm not sure if its the issue only with other brand power amps.

Even my NAD motorised volume control increases/decreases the volume by 4dB if adjusted by remote which is fine during the day but annoying at night time listening. I rather prefer to walk to the amp and fine adjust the volume manually.

For the XDA-1 DAC you will not even have the option of fine adjusting the volume manually. Other than the volume control issue the DAC is good.

Thanks, Ravi. What if I use the built-in volume control of PoHD, keeping the Emotiva's vol at an optimum level? Does it degrade the overall output quality?

Regds / Shailender

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back