Enbee Designer Speakers made by Mr Nakra of ENBEE New Delhi in 1990s Vintage as company now closed

Sir
I am also a proud owner of Enbee Amplifier and speakers since 1999 .I live in Jaipur . My speakers and Amplifier require service but I am not able to find some reliable person to do it . Can you suggest some one and also please let me know whether Enbee brand is still selling the products
EnnBee sadly had closed very long back. The old man was already frail by 2006 and I came to know that after he passed away, his daughter tried to get someone to repair systems initially from the shop, later from home for a few years till components could no longer be available (It seems BEL too has stopped making them since past 4-6 yrs). The components Mr Nagra used were all Indian and had been of very good quality. he was a perfectionist.
I believe there is a collector in Jaipur who gets old systems and does them up and if he gets a good price, which is often pretty high, he sells it. I found him on youtube.
If I get my spares that I need, I will be able to get this gentleman in Pune to bring back the system to life. That works, I will let you know. Else, there is one old man in Mumbai who has been doing audio systems for bollywood. I have to check him out too. Will update once I am sure. There are many, but hard to trust this sytem in anyone's hands.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this. This brought a wave of nostalgia for me and if you dont mind, I would like to share my own experience about him.

I knew Mr. Nakra personally, having first met him at his store in the later 80s, when I wanted to some help in reviving an DOA open reel deck I had acquired gratis (Akai GX4000D). Mr. Nakra not only helped me revive it FOC, but it was beginning on an unlikely bond between a teenager and a 60+ year old.

Mr. Nakra could be curmudgeonly on first meeting but he was a person of great depth and very strong opinions (as most idealists are). His wife and daughter were extremely charming and graciously and very wisely, they manned the showroom and answered the sometimes idiotic questions that potential customers asked about PMPO (Alas, the PMPO wars had begun) of the amps and speakers. (a question like that could bring out a different side of Mr. Nakra).

Eventually, I did become a consumer of Enbee, buying their integrated amp. (for some reason I preferred this sound to the separates which he also sold). These along with a Nikko Audio tape deck formed the mainstay of my parent's drawing room system for over a decade. As I got to know more and more people who were interested in Audio, I realised that "Nishi' had been part of so many people's life and Enbee speakers graced a lot of drawing rooms in NCR (even though their kids had Sony FH systems, like the one below)
View attachment 45274

The Genius of Mr. Nakra was getting magical sound out of available components and make it all come together. For those of you who have haunted lajpatrai market / lamington road at that time would know, there was not much available. However, if i had search within, my choice would be for the older Acoustic suspension speakers he made in his earlier days rather than the vented stuff he made in his later years. Sure, none of his Bass-reflex speakers boomed, as Mr. Nakra had a huge allergy to "One note bass - his words"; but the tightness and the cohesiveness of his older sealed systems remain memorable from my teenage years (and ears). I can only think that it was a his concession to evolving consumer tastes. I also remember that for some period in the early 90s he did a Bose 601 Series I lookalike. Having heard both back to back ( we went from the Bose - owners house in NFC to the Enbee showroom in Shankar market- 25min from room to room on a bike in those days), I can safely say Enbee was quite ahead in terms of extension and clarity, though in fairness, different rooms and the Bose was over a decade old. Post script, while the bose owner didnt buy Enbees, he did sell the Bose, very shortly.

As I moved out of NCR to study and to work, I lost touch with Mr. Nakra and his wonderful family. this was still before social media or even mobiles helped us stay connected. I heard of his passing many years after it happened and I still regret not being able to pass on my condolences to his family.
I saw a Quadro system of Enn Bee in the Flight Cadets Mess at EFS Bidar in 1982 and I did not find any record of its purchase that time. So Mr Nakra also made a Quadro. They were simple column boxes about 20-22"and were in the four corners of the Ante Room. Between the thundering fighter jets of mine, thundering bikes and cars, these clear and perfect sound from EnnBee are a possession of my life. Yes, the rock nights in DU colleges festivals, IIT festivals and later Seby Fernandez who I became friendly with in 1979-80 when Taj Palace was still to come up, music ran in every breath and it still does. I did move up from Philips 3 speed TT and sonodyne Jet Line to Philips 2 speed and now Audio Technica 3 speed with an old hand primed gramaphone of grandfather (HMV101 of 1925, photos attached below) that I managed to service myself and listen to a pure mechanical sound, it is a gift of this life I am grateful for having enjoyed.

Attachments

• After Servicing - HMV 101.png
    After Servicing - HMV 101.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Before servicing-1.jpg
    Before servicing-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Before Servicing-2.jpg
    Before Servicing-2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
  • First Run post servicing-2.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back