Epson 8350 Or Mitsubishi HC 4000

sivakumar

Hi Folks,

Im looking to get either 8350 or HC 4000 from US. Im confused with the Contrast ratios. Epson has a contrast ratio of 50000:1 whereas HC4000 has only 4000:1. But certain reviews say that HC 4000 has better colour reproduction and contrast ratio is good in it with semi dark scenes.

Please help me out guys. Im planning to buy it on Black friday. So please reply as soon as possible.

You are confusing specs with actual performance... Spec wise epson will look better but in terms of actual performance the HC4000 is much better even though it is an older model... There is also the price factor to consider... HC4000 might end up being much costlier than the 8350... Another example of spec vs actual performance is the slew of present day LEDs & Plasmas vs the KURU Plasma... THe Kuru is quite an old model & has been discontinued for some time & does not even come close to the features the present day tvs provide but still its the best PQ ever seen on a TV... But I still think you should consider ur budget 1st & formost... IF you can afford the HC4000 then go for it... If not than the 8350 too is an excellent product... BTW I would like to mention that if you can afford to going for a 3D projector would be a better choice... Just an opinion....

Hi Rajadeep,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. Currently epson 8350 is available for $1075 and HC4000 for $1100 in Amazon. So price really doesnt matter btw these two. I just want to know which among these two will give a better performance in terms of pq quality and deep black levels. As you said 3D is catching up (epson 3010) but i believe it would take one iteration to get the best of 3D

Last edited:
You can also buy Mitsuibishi HC 4000 with 5 Years warranty and Bill from India for 1.09L, also Mitsuibishi has got very good black levels and great colour reproduction, it also supports Anamorphic Image without any external lens attachment.

Hi Rajadeep,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion. Currently epson 8350 is available for $1075 and HC4000 for $1100 in Amazon. So price really doesnt matter btw these two. I just want to know which among these two will give a better performance in terms of pq quality and deep black levels. As you said 3D is catching up (epson 3010) but i believe it would take one iteration to get the best of 3D

well You could also get a refurbished 8350 for $899 from epson.com... Regular price is $999... Register a acct with them & use the code WEPNHP for a 10% off to make the price $899... Also the refurbish version of the HC4000 on amazon is $999... You can even have it shipped to india for $125(not an option for u though seeing as u are in the states right now)... Refurbish is a great option to get some extra discount on products... But considering just PQ & nothing else then not many projectors out there beat the HC4000... BTW it would be a good idea to test the projector in US atleast once if possible... Just to see that it is not DOA & has any nagging issues... Anyway best of luck on your purchase...

Am an epson fan in this segment and would vote for that brand (the other close competetor in this segment/price range is panasonic). Have heard good things about warranty and support from epson in India - that would be something to consider if you are buying it from US and getting it back to India.

Try and call the support for mitsubishi and epson and check out who seems more available and helpful.

Sometime back when i had to make the decision it was a tie between epson 8500UB and panasonic AE4000U and my friend and i checked out of both of them with various movies and different lighting condition.

If one has a dark room then both of them did pretty well, but for a room with some ambient light, epson seem to do better.

Also epson lens supposed has longer life (4000 hours ?) compared to 2000 hours for others

At the end of the day what i figured was, pick one projector which is among the top 3 based on the reviews from different sites & test-drive them yourself in a hi-end store. The reviews will nit-pick one of two points but in general if one of them fits your bill and liking, you wont be sorry with any of the choices among the top 3 and the picture quality will be generally at par.

Best of luck.

Hi Folks,

Im looking to get either 8350 or HC 4000 from US. Im confused with the Contrast ratios. Epson has a contrast ratio of 50000:1 whereas HC4000 has only 4000:1. But certain reviews say that HC 4000 has better colour reproduction and contrast ratio is good in it with semi dark scenes.

Please help me out guys. Im planning to buy it on Black friday. So please reply as soon as possible.

BTW you didnt mention weather you are going to be in the US on Black friday or just gonna order it online & ship it via Amarax/borderlinx from here in India... If anyone is in the US on black friday & in a city which has a Frys store than Fry has the epson 8350 for $800(brand new not refurbished)... I am still cursing myself for canceling my trip to the US in which I had planed to stay in the US through Black Friday/Cyber Monday :sad:... Oh well maybe next time :) ...

BTW you didnt mention weather you are going to be in the US on Black friday or just gonna order it online & ship it via Amarax/borderlinx from here in India... If anyone is in the US on black friday & in a city which has a Frys store than Fry has the epson 8350 for $800(brand new not refurbished)... I am still cursing myself for canceling my trip to the US in which I had planed to stay in the US through Black Friday/Cyber Monday :sad:... Oh well maybe next time :) ...

Hi Rajadeep, could please elaborate on the procedure to ordering on-line store in US and shipping through Amarax/Borderlinx to India - illustrating shipping, customs etc.
Thanks.

Hi Rajadeep, could please elaborate on the procedure to ordering on-line store in US and shipping through Amarax/Borderlinx to India - illustrating shipping, customs etc.
Thanks.

That's a in-store deal. You will have to go to a brick & mortar Frys store to grab it before stocks die out in a couple of minutes after the door opens at Thursday midnight 12 AM. :)

Both of them are good PJ's. Personnally I would go for EPSON for its brighter image and its picture quality is good even in ambient light, not sure if you have a dedicated HT room.

I own a EPSON 8350.

I missed the black friday deals :-( looking for Boxing day

Does epson 8350 has a slight bias to reds?

I know its wrong to go by screen shots, but still the screen shots in projectorreviews.com shows that epson 8350 had a bit of red tint over the Mits 4000. And also the whites were looking better in Mits. Any thoughts on this?

Im really confussed in choosing one between these two. Please help out guys

I have purchased an Epson 3010 and will get it in end of January. It is a bright 2200 lumens and hopefully would be a good one. Will post its performance after I install it.

In-direct Light

I have beamed until now 3 projectors, two of them were movie based and one for data purpose. These projectors have worked fine under in-direct lights so i would assume the trick is how to place such lights.

V.

Both of them are good PJ's. Personnally I would go for EPSON for its brighter image and its picture quality is good even in ambient light, not sure if you have a dedicated HT room.

I own a EPSON 8350.

I have purchased an Epson 3010 and will get it in end of January. It is a bright 2200 lumens and hopefully would be a good one. Will post its performance after I install it.
Im setting up to import Epson 3010 from USA with landing cost of Rs93000.I will appreciate if you let me know your source to procure Epson 3010 and the price tag?

Im setting up to import Epson 3010 from USA with landing cost of Rs93000.I will appreciate if you let me know your source to procure Epson 3010 and the price tag?

Hmm just a heads up I read in the news a few weeks back that epson has launched its TW6000 3D model(equivalent to 5010 in the US i think) for about 1 lac(which is an unbelievable low price)... Pls do confirm with epson India before importing from the US as to the pricing of these models in India... Also epson TW5900 (which is equivalent to 3010) is available for less than Rs 75000/- with shipping & customs from amazon.de ... Rs 93000/- price is just too high...

Edit :- Here are the links
http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfe...finition-3d-home-video-projectors/946808.html

Also a link to amazon.de http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005UL4ZHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

Actually chked again & by todays exchange rate TW5900's cost comes to less than 72K...

Last edited:

I got it from Amamzon.com for USD 1499/- but now it is even cheaper on Amazon! My friend was coming to India and he he rought it for me from US to India. He brought it as hand baggage and did not have to pay any duty or extra baggage charges.

I got it from Amamzon.com for USD 1499/- but now it is even cheaper on Amazon! My friend was coming to India and he he rought it for me from US to India. He brought it as hand baggage and did not have to pay any duty or extra baggage charges.
Thanks for the reply. You are correct concerning the price drop. now its $1349 and landing cost to India is 87000INR. Im confused and stuck between Optoma HD33 and Epson 3010.

Hmm just a heads up I read in the news a few weeks back that epson has launched its TW6000 3D model(equivalent to 5010 in the US i think) for about 1 lac(which is an unbelievable low price)... Pls do confirm with epson India before importing from the US as to the pricing of these models in India... Also epson TW5900 (which is equivalent to 3010) is available for less than Rs 75000/- with shipping & customs from amazon.de ... Rs 93000/- price is just too high...

Edit :- Here are the links
Epson launches high definition 3D home video projectors, IBN Live News

Also a link to amazon.de Epson EH-TW5900 3D LCD-Projektor wei: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Actually chked again & by todays exchange rate TW5900's cost comes to less than 72K...
Thanks for the input.Epson EH-TW3600 in India which is same as the Epson8350 is costing approximately 1.15 lac in our country.I believe TW5900 which is not get underway so far will cost around INR 2 Lac. Epson 3010 is costing around $1349 in Amazon US and landing price tag in India is INR 88000 inclusive duty and shipping.

Thanks for the input.Epson EH-TW3600 in India which is same as the Epson8350 is costing approximately 1.15 lac in our country.I believe TW5900 which is not get underway so far will cost around INR 2 Lac. Epson 3010 is costing around $1349 in Amazon US and landing price tag in India is INR 88000 inclusive duty and shipping.

I have received the Epson 3010 and it is really good! I am enjoying it!!
Have not been able to watch 3D on it yet :( as I have not got my HTPC setup.

I have received the Epson 3010 and it is really good! I am enjoying it!!
Have not been able to watch 3D on it yet :( as I have not got my HTPC setup.
Wonderful, eagerly waiting for 3D quality in our own Indian viewpoint. I believe you will be the first owner who will be ready to review it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back