Epson LS12000b vs TW9400

neerajbisht

I am upgrading from a 1080p TW6600 and these are the 2 projectors that I am eyeing. Which one of these(or any other choice) would you recommend?
  • Usage is about 3-4 hours a day. Typically 1000-1200 hrs a year.
  • This will be used in a light-controlled room being projected on a light gray wall with a projection size of 160'' from a viewing distance of about 11 ft.
  • My 6600 has lasted me 6.5 yrs with 1 bulb change. So the benefits of never having to replace the lamp feel overstated to me. For my usage, it is unlikely that I would have to replace the lamp more than once before I look for the next upgrade.
  • I have read that 9400 got a firmware update that increased the pixel shifting to 3 times to move the pixel count to 6M instead of 4M. Is this verified and correct? Also at a screen size of 160" at a viewing distance would 4M or 6M vs 8M of 12000b make a perceivable difference?
  • Epson 9400 is 3 yrs old and Epson is moving to laser projectors now. Will the availability and pricing of the replacement lamp be affected when I would need to replace it 4 yrs from now?
  • Any other reason why it will be worth spending the extra money on the 12000b over a 9400?

I am upgrading from a 1080p TW6600 and these are the 2 projectors that I am eyeing. Which one of these(or any other choice) would you recommend?
  • This will be used in a light-controlled room being projected on a light gray wall with a projection size of 160'' from a viewing distance of about 11 ft.
  • My 6600 has lasted me 6.5 yrs with 1 bulb change. So the benefits of never having to replace the lamp feel overstated to me. For my usage, it is unlikely that I would have to replace the lamp more than once before I look for the next upgrade.
  • I have read that 9400 got a firmware update that increased the pixel shifting to 3 times to move the pixel count to 6M instead of 4M. Is this verified and correct? Also at a screen size of 160" at a viewing distance would 4M or 6M vs 8M of 12000b make a perceivable difference?
  • Epson 9400 is 3 yrs old and Epson is moving to laser projectors now. Will the availability and pricing of the replacement lamp be affected when I would need to replace it 4 yrs from now?
  • Any other reason why it will be worth spending the extra money on the 12000b over a 9400?
I have got 9400 .after 1.3 yrs it had some issues auto switching off after 20 min of play.epson replaced ballastic unit fan and bulb 946 hrs run free of cost as it was under warranty.along with this they also changed the mother board as the old one was not compatible with new firmware. They updated new firmware.
I feel the picture quality is definitely improved after the new firmware update.
I'm not aware of 6m pixel upgrade.
But from my experience definitely i can bet there is good improvement in picture quality

I heard LS12000 is indeed a good projector but not much an improvement from 9400 to deserve a two fold price increase. But haven't seen one in action yet. Epson has updated it to have a slick menu, though.

But 9400 is a great projector. One of the finest models Epson has ever produced. I would suggest get the 9400 with warranty and put the cash saved into a MadVR htpc.

I am sure the resultant image quality will give any projector available in its class a run for their money
.​

I heard LS12000 is indeed a good projector but not much an improvement from 9400 to deserve a two fold price increase. But haven't seen one in action yet. Epson has updated it to have a slick menu, though.

But 9400 is a great projector. One of the finest models Epson has ever produced. I would suggest get the 9400 with warranty and put the cash saved into a MadVR htpc.

I am sure the resultant image quality will give any projector available in its class a run for their money
.​
Can you guide more about madVR htpc.thankd

https://www.avforums.com/threads/madvr-on-pc-as-a-video-processor.2249335/

It is a tad long thread..almost 50+ pages. It has all you wanna know about MadVR.

Basically it involves building a PC with a high end graphic card. And use the graphic card to process/ render the image on the display. ( TV/ Monitor or a Projector ).

FM @rainbowsong2000 has a system up and running with MadVR if I am not wrong.
My htpc is catching dust as my 9400 is snatched away by my brother. He is happy with MiBox 4k attached to AVR to 9400. But the results are stunning.​

.​
Thanks for the response regarding the 9400. On madVR I already have a HTPC that does not get much use as the usage has shifted to streaming services using 2017 Nvidia shield.

Thanks for the response regarding the 9400. On madVR I already have a HTPC that does not get much use as the usage has shifted to streaming services using 2017 Nvidia shield.
What is the current price for 9400. Not mrp ,market available price.need to buy for my brother

What is the current price for 9400. Not mrp ,market available price.need to buy for my brother

I got a quote yesterday for 1.95L from a dealer from Haryana. They also have an office in Mumbai. Got the contact from India Mart. I was enquiring for my friend, but he backed out and decided to get an OLED from Sony.​
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I am still trying to convince him to go for the projector setup.

I got a quote yesterday for 1.95L from a dealer from Haryana. They also have an office in Mumbai. Got the contact from India Mart. I was enquiring for my friend, but he backed out and decided to get an OLED from Sony.​
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I am still trying to convince him to go for the projector setup.
Offered prices in Bangalore are 2.15

If you can close it for 2L, I think it's a good deal considering the demand and availability. The projector is absolutely worth it, if it doesn't bother you that it was available for 1.8L last year.​
Considering the prices of most electronic goods have increased because of the chip shortage the price seems ok to me. The only thing bothering me is whether I should go for the LS12000B considering it is a newer model and the actual projected pixels are 8.3M compared to 4.15/6.2M on 9400.
Does anyone know if there is a dealer in Bangalore with demos for these models or someone who has demoed these 2 models personally?

Did you check with Sanghavi Impex at Malleswaram? I think they have 9400 on demo. Please confirm with them. It is desirous to have LS12000 on demo, but chances are slim.

The pixel strength of new model will be visible only on side by side comparison; to the greatest of eye sight. I say this with my experience of comparing 9400 with a 4K BenQ which produced a razor sharp image being a DLP projector. But Epson trounced it with its great contrast and punchy colors. It was a sight to behold.

Unless there is a shootout, one would be more than happy with 9400. From the reviews across different sites, price difference is significant with the LS12000 for a marginal improvement in HDR performance and laser source.

Personally, I feel 9400 is a killer value for money. But you can get the new model it you really like it.

Did you check with Sanghavi Impex at Malleswaram? I think they have 9400 on demo. Please confirm with them. It is desirous to have LS12000 on demo, but chances are slim.

The pixel strength of new model will be visible only on side by side comparison; to the greatest of eye sight. I say this with my experience of comparing 9400 with a 4K BenQ which produced a razor sharp image being a DLP projector. But Epson trounced it with its great contrast and punchy colors. It was a sight to behold.

Unless there is a shootout, one would be more than happy with 9400. From the reviews across different sites, price difference is significant with the LS12000 for a marginal improvement in HDR performance and laser source.

Personally, I feel 9400 is a killer value for money. But you can get the new model it you really like it.
Thank you for your response. I am getting a demo of LS12000B with Modern Radio in Domlur this weekend but they don't have a 9400 to compare to. They will be performing a side-by-side demo vs a TW8300. Will also check with Sanghavi Impex for the 9400 demo.

Thank you for your response. I am getting a demo of LS12000B with Modern Radio in Domlur this weekend but they don't have a 9400 to compare to. They will be performing a side-by-side demo vs a TW8300. Will also check with Sanghavi Impex for the 9400 demo.

You mean Modern World at Domlur?

Check HDR and true 4k content. Also look for the differences in 1080p upscaled content.

Ask for the availability of 9400.

Enjoy your demo.​

Thanks.
You mean Modern World at Domlur?

Check HDR and true 4k content. Also look for the differences in 1080p upscaled content.

Ask for the availability of 9400.

Enjoy your demo.​
Thanks. I meant Modern Radio only. 9400 is available but not available for the demo. The primary focus of the side by side comparison would be to see if my eyes can make out the difference in sharpness between 4.15M and 8.3M pixels at the screen size and viewing distance at my home setup.
Would also keep in mind your inputs re HDR and upscaling.
Tried reaching out to Sanghavi Impex too but did not receive a response. Realised that I had tried reaching them earlier too and did not receive a good response. Would like to ignore businesses that are not keen to sell.

Thanks.

Thanks. I meant Modern Radio only. 9400 is available but not available for the demo. The primary focus of the side by side comparison would be to see if my eyes can make out the difference in sharpness between 4.15M and 8.3M pixels at the screen size and viewing distance at my home setup.
Would also keep in mind your inputs re HDR and upscaling.
Tried reaching out to Sanghavi Impex too but did not receive a response. Realised that I had tried reaching them earlier too and did not receive a good response. Would like to ignore businesses that are not keen to sell.
Looks like they are the same store. Listed as Modern Radio under Epson's site. Havnt physically visited the store yet.

Looks like they are the same store. Listed as Modern Radio under Epson's site. Havnt physically visited the store yet.

That's what I was wondering. I stayed in Domlur for two years. No way I would miss a HT place in the locality, lol.

A tall chap would welcome you and take you to the top floor of Modern World. They have decent demo rooms. In fact you can get speaker demo as well if you're interested. They deal with QA, Elac, Polk, etc. The place got a great reputation.

My friend had a similar experience with Sanghavi Impex couple of years back. He got his projector from elsewhere.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back