Ezset / Audissey

M

mpw

Hi folks,

The newer AVR's have the EzSet or Audissey audio calibration system to setup the speakers in a given room. Therefore, should it really matter if we have fronts and center speakers from different manufacturers ( assuning that the fronts and centers can handle power delivered by the AVR ) as the AVR can adjust and send sound accordingly to the relevant speakers ?

thanks..
mpw

Hi mpw,
Yes it does help to have matching front and center speakers, despite having audio calibration function like Audissey in your AVR. There are two aspects to speaker matching,
- 1st is matching of frequency spectrum between both types of speakers (fronts and center spkrs in your case).
- 2nd is matching the sound-signature between both. (this practically means both speaker types will reproduce a particular guitar wave sample with exactly/almost same sound (i.e have identical fundamental wave + harmonics blend). And this is possible only if the speakers are identical or at least share similar drivers and speaker cabinet specs.

Audissey may do a reasonably good job for 1st aspect. Identical drivers in two cabinets having different volumes will most probably end up having different bass frequency extension. (You will note in many cases Fronts and Center speakers from same "5.1 speaker set" have different cabinet sizes)...In case, both these types are defined as LARGE in AVR setup, Audissey will make adjustment in both the types such that they match it's internal reference freq bands that Audissey is targetting as final frequency spectrum.

However Audissey will not (and cannot... available technology hasn't reached there yet) change the sound signatures of two different speaker types such that they sound similar.

I hope the above helps you.

Regards,

Last edited:
Dear Sonosphere,

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is like this. My AVR is HK AVR 255. My fronts are JBL Control One Monitor speakers with 4 inch bass driver. My Center speaker is CONTROL NOW with 2 nos 4 inch bass drivers and 1/2 inch tweeter. When i play music, esp 2 channel stereo, the CONTROL ONE's are not able to deliver as much depth / punch / call it what you may.

The JBL dealer says that since i already have a subwoofer JBL CSS10, he wants me to go in for the JBL ES 80 / ES 90 floor standers which are costly ( Rs 44k / Rs 45K ). Moreover, i listened to ES 90 ( ES 80 was not in stick ).. i liked the rock music etc.. but not the indian music ( classical / indipop ) coming out from it. The ES series also has 4 inch mid drivers and 2 nos 6 inch bass drivers. I fear that there ( besides being costly ) will be well suited for head banging rock rather that the indipop and sometimes ghazals that i listen to.

The other thing is the ES series are too big. Maybe the book shelf speakers ES 30 / ES 20 would suit or something like the MS Avant 906 ( Rs 28 K ).

But if i change my brand of fronts speakers.. that means that i would in all likely hood have to change the centers as well.. that would push the cost to 45K again :sad:

any inputs.. ??

thanks once again..
mpw

My Center speaker is CONTROL NOW with 2 nos 4 inch bass drivers and 1/2 inch tweeter. When i play music, esp 2 channel stereo, the CONTROL ONE's are not able to deliver as much depth / punch / call it what you may. mpw

MPW,

There seems to be a bit of contradiction based on what you have mentioned. If you are using PURE 2 Channel stereo on the AVR, then you wouldnt be getting any sort of output on your center channel. You must either use some other mode in the AVR or all-channel stereo to get all channels working at the same time. I would also suggest you to check if you have a Pure/Direct mode which is a direct amplification without any of the processing to determine if you still have the center working.

Dear Prashant,

Yes - in the stereo mode.. the front left and right ( JBL Control One's ) do work. But i desire more sound / more depth which i will not get as these are basically small monitor speakers. therefore i was looking for an option where i could change ONLY the fronts ( to floor standers / book shelves ) and not the center.

My fronts are rated freq ay 80 Hz to 22Khz and so is the center. I am looking at something where the fronts can handle from 40Hz to 30KHz or so..

regards,
mpw

Allright, not that this is the best option that is out there, but seems to be one of those selections based on your requirements .. 40Hz to 80KHz that could be a match..

Mission M34i speakers. Mission M34i Loudspeakers

I do recollect some one else getting these in our forum, but sorry dont remember who that is. Have seen good reviews about it, but you need to check the compatibility ( sound-signature ) with rest of your speakers as well.

thanks prashant.. know any place in Mumbai where i can audition these ? any idea on the prices in India?

mpw

thanks prashant.. know any place in Mumbai where i can audition these ? any idea on the prices in India?

mpw

Hi,
You can contact/PM Suprateep (Pune) on this forum. He has Mission floorstanders. He can help you reg Mumbai audition and prices.

Regds

Dear Sonosphere,

Thank you for your reply.

The other thing is the ES series are too big. Maybe the book shelf speakers ES 30 / ES 20 would suit or something like the MS Avant 906 ( Rs 28 K ).

any inputs.. ??

thanks once again..
mpw

Hi mpw,
1. I think you should first try to find suitable bookshelves from JBL only that can go as low as 40Hz (in case you find all JBL floorstanders too big).

2. Wharfedale 9.2 is the only BS I know that can do 40Hz at moderate volume as well as any floorstander at that volume. (it quite cheap at 16k approx). But I doubt if it's laid-back sound-signature would match your JBL center spkr.

But obviously, you must try to audition all the options in presence of the JBL center spkr, even if it means lugging it around the showrooms.

Hope this helps.
Regds,

Hi folks,

The newer AVR's have the EzSet or Audissey audio calibration system to setup the speakers in a given room. Therefore, should it really matter if we have fronts and center speakers from different manufacturers ( assuning that the fronts and centers can handle power delivered by the AVR ) as the AVR can adjust and send sound accordingly to the relevant speakers ?

thanks..
mpw

Audio calibration only setups the SPL levels relative to the listenting position. It does not deal with the quality of sound itself which will be impacted if you have different speaker drivers even from the same manufacturer. This is not a blanket statement but almost all (> 90%) of setups woudl benefit from speakers having the same drivers. Note that this could mean different model nos. but nonetheless the drivers would still be the same.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back