F&D R60BT or Edifier 1280t

anfranmz

Hi guys,

I have a very strict budget for an active speaker set and I have shortlisted F&D R60BT and Edifier 1280 T. The first one has 120 W RMS while the second one has 42 W RMS. What should I choose ?

Thanks,
Anfran

Go through this link which may help you out

Thanks Sree...
I already went through that link while I searched for edifier brands... This speaker set has 66 W RMS only and is 4k costlier than my budget. I am looking for a strong bass what my budget can offer. I already have a different AV receiver + speaker set and the active speaker set is for my kids room...
Thanks,
Anfran

Hi guys,

I have a very strict budget for an active speaker set and I have shortlisted F&D R60BT and Edifier 1280 T. The first one has 120 W RMS while the second one has 42 W RMS. What should I choose ?

Thanks,
Anfran
I wonder why wattage matters when it comes to active speakers? The amp built-in is already matched to the drivers. More wattage does not translate to better sound. If your intention is to play loud then you may consider how big the room it is going to play in. For near field desktop, 10 watt speakers can be loud enough. Now if you want bass heavy speakers, get the one that has the biggest driver. You may also want to check 2.1 systems, it's surprising how good they sound given the price.

If you want bass you must go for 2.1 setup. I had Edifier 1280t and I can tell you they are very clear and accurate speakers but they lack in bass department especially for movies
One of my friend is having swans m50 and they are very good and bass is awesome. You can also check out logitech z623.

Hi there!
Initially you may be craving for bass. But the rest is matter in fact (at the entry level). 1280 bt are decent in the bass department if you place them properly. These small speakers shines with enough distance between them as well as from the side and rear walls. I made my friend to understand the importance of vocals, mids and highs. Now he is very much happier.
It is well known that m50s are good but bass overtakes rest.
Have patience. Do your research and slightly rise the budget. And you are good to go with any active speakers with subwoofer out.

Hi there!
Initially you may be craving for bass. But the rest is matter in fact (at the entry level). 1280 bt are decent in the bass department if you place them properly. These small speakers shines with enough distance between them as well as from the side and rear walls. I made my friend to understand the importance of vocals, mids and highs. Now he is very much happier.
It is well known that m50s are good but bass overtakes rest.
Have patience. Do your research and slightly rise the budget. And you are good to go with any active speakers with subwoofer out.
Yes, 1280bt is very sensitive to positioning, I have one, when placed close to the rear wall there was no bass at all it needs some space behind it. And I get even better bass when placed two feet above ear level, weird!!

Difficult to find a dedicated product page with full spec. of FD R60BT.
But this page says its frequency response is 20Hz to 20KHz!! Can this be true?

5ae28679c3690.jpg

5ae28679c3690.jpg
I doubt it can achieve 20Hz. Good headphones do have that range. But speakers with drivers and ports generally hit till 50 to 60Hz. Only Subs can go down to 20Hz. But who knows!

Yes, 1280bt is very sensitive to positioning, I have one, when placed close to the rear wall there was no bass at all it needs some space behind it. And I get even better bass when placed two feet above ear level, weird!!
I have noticed that with many back ported speakers. But 1280bt has front ports right? even then that kind of behavior is quite surprising to me.

5ae28679c3690.jpg
Haha.. Let's forgive them for printing that part. In fact the freq response rating most speakers are fishy. If say speaker brand A says 60hz to 30khz, if they are not lying it only still means you can hear stuff coming out of it at 60hz upto 30khz but not in how much loudness for each thtle frewuencies in between. It can be 60 hz at -12db and 1 khz at 0 db. With these cheaper speakers forget . A speaker becomes more technically perfect if it's able to provide this response at the same db for all the frequencies. Sometimes that sound is boring too.

I am in a similar dilemna, the price of the R60 BT is so tempting compared to the Edifier's and the Swan's , that i can let go of a tiny performance difference, but will the swans sound much better? They are 3X times the cost.
I am talking about M200A vs F&D R60BT.
Can anyone help me with this

Some data that might help you people.

1. Edifier
Edifier is a company started in 1996. It is now publicly listed with a white skin as CEO. It manufacturers over 8 million speakers a year. It uses decent chip sets for DSP, Amplification and DAC.

Edifier's R1700 and R2000 have been designed by Phil Jones, the man who designed the legendary AE1 speakers from Acoustic Energy. He acknowledges his contribution to Edifier speakers in his linkedin site - https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-jones-93769b24/

Edifier speakers - R1280, R1700 and R2000 have been torn apart, tested, measured and reviewed by 100s of people. The end result is a (maybe reluctant) acknowledgement that a Chinese company can beat them at their own game. All these three products have received very favourable reviews.

Just for added information, the R2000s are considered closer to being near field monitors and may not sound nice to a consumer. They are supposed be very neutral, meaning they will not add any color to the sound. The R1280 is on the other end of the spectrum. The R1700, has nearly the same size of the R1280 but achieves slightly better results using DSP and DRC to minimize distortion. They also use a more rigid material (aluminium, if I am not mistaken) for the 4" bass driver.

None of these speakers, in my mind, can be heard sitting a few feet away from them. In other words, using them as computers speakers would be a waste. They are bookshelves, and would deliver better results if used as bookshelves.

Fortunately for us, Edifier has a full fledged operation in India.

2. Fenda Audio

Fenda Audio is an Indian company. It seems to be a wholly owned subsidiary of Shenzhen Fenda Technology Co Ltd, another Chinese company. Other than this, I have not been able to gather any information about the company or their products. Most probably, they make their money (some 450 million) by being an OEM to US and European designers and brands.

A number of people have pointed out the frequency response claim 20-20,000 Hz. Most subs use 8 to 20 inch drivers and have a different design for the cabinet. The driver has to be very linear, and the amplifier powerfully and accurately driving a narrow frequency range. The cabinet has to be rigid to handle the enormous vibration that is generated by the driver. All these are expensive propositions. It is very doubtful this can be achieved by a 5.25 inch driver that does not have a separate amplifier. Maybe Fenda has a DSP handling this requirement, but unless someone studies what they do inside the speakers, I very much doubt the claim.

Cheers.

Some data that might help you people.

1. Edifier
Edifier is a company started in 1996. It is now publicly listed with a white skin as CEO. It manufacturers over 8 million speakers a year. It uses decent chip sets for DSP, Amplification and DAC.

Edifier's R1700 and R2000 have been designed by Phil Jones, the man who designed the legendary AE1 speakers from Acoustic Energy. He acknowledges his contribution to Edifier speakers in his linkedin site - https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-jones-93769b24/

Edifier speakers - R1280, R1700 and R2000 have been torn apart, tested, measured and reviewed by 100s of people. The end result is a (maybe reluctant) acknowledgement that a Chinese company can beat them at their own game. All these three products have received very favourable reviews.

Just for added information, the R2000s are considered closer to being near field monitors and may not sound nice to a consumer. They are supposed be very neutral, meaning they will not add any color to the sound. The R1280 is on the other end of the spectrum. The R1700, has nearly the same size of the R1280 but achieves slightly better results using DSP and DRC to minimize distortion. They also use a more rigid material (aluminium, if I am not mistaken) for the 4" bass driver.

None of these speakers, in my mind, can be heard sitting a few feet away from them. In other words, using them as computers speakers would be a waste. They are bookshelves, and would deliver better results if used as bookshelves.

Fortunately for us, Edifier has a full fledged operation in India.

2. Fenda Audio

Fenda Audio is an Indian company. It seems to be a wholly owned subsidiary of Shenzhen Fenda Technology Co Ltd, another Chinese company. Other than this, I have not been able to gather any information about the company or their products. Most probably, they make their money (some 450 million) by being an OEM to US and European designers and brands.

A number of people have pointed out the frequency response claim 20-20,000 Hz. Most subs use 8 to 20 inch drivers and have a different design for the cabinet. The driver has to be very linear, and the amplifier powerfully and accurately driving a narrow frequency range. The cabinet has to be rigid to handle the enormous vibration that is generated by the driver. All these are expensive propositions. It is very doubtful this can be achieved by a 5.25 inch driver that does not have a separate amplifier. Maybe Fenda has a DSP handling this requirement, but unless someone studies what they do inside the speakers, I very much doubt the claim.

Cheers.
You can have a 20-20 freq response mentioned in the spec and not mention how loud each of the frequency is in relation to one another. Say -20db at 20hz is still producing 20 hz but you cannot hear it masked by the other higher frequncies. If we measure these speakers it will be looking like himalayas. But still there you have every frequency somehow but not in a ruler flat line. But thats too much to ask for in a budget speaker. As long as the response is not horrible compared to your preference it would sound good to you.

Reviving an old thread as I am also looking to buy bookshelf speaker at a budget of around 10k.

Primary use will be with a desktop. Movies/music usage will be 70/30. Bluetooth not a necessity.

Have shortlisted the following:
Edifier 1280t - 8k
Jbl 104bt - 9k

Or should i go in for a passive 2.0 speaker like micca mb42x 9k and a budget tpa3118 amp

Couple of points.

1. Today, going for any audio device without BT is not advisable. Streaming is becoming the major source of audio. Getting a product with BT costs only a couple of thousands more. BT 5.0 and AptX are now quite mature as technologies. In addition, BT gives you tremendous freedom and enables you to listen to music 24/7.

2. With any of these active bookshelf speakers, you are not going to get too much base. Most of these speakers have a cut off somewhere around 60Hz. They use DSP to enhance signals between 60-100Hz so you feel you are getting good base. Edifier's 1280 has done that very well. The base is as good as large floor standing speakers. A lot depends upon the source. For example, with the Edifier, the base in Boney M's Rasputin sounds superb, sharp and chest thumping. At the same time, a regular drum or tabla does not have that presence.

3. None of these speakers are really meant for movies. They are meant for music mostly. In movies, if you get clarity in dialogues and low distortion, you should be happy. If you are a bass addict, a sub-woofer is the only option.

4. The amplifier inside a Edifier or a JBL will be much better than a budget TPA3118 amp unless you go in for something like FX-Audio, SMSL, Allo or some such brand. All these would cost between 50-100$ in the international market.

Personally I have the Edifier 1280BT. I use it everyday and am very happy with it for music. I have not heard the JBL, so not sure about it. But, given the company's background, they may be better suited for movies.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back