F&D speakers as surround

waris

Hi,
Today I replaced my computer speakers with Edifier USB powered on as the sub was creating hum.
Thus system is F&D A520 model. Sub and Speakers are 4 ohm as per specifications written on body.
Speakers are rated as 16 Watt each.
I was wondering if I can experiment with these speakers as surround for my main system in living room.
I have Denon x2400 AVR with HTS12 , 3020i and 3090c.
Is this a bad idea. Can it cause damage to the AVR?
this is just an experiment as I am not getting a chance to buy proper surround and atmos speakers( I am eying Polk OWM3) .
Plz share your views.

I had similiar thoughts earlier but the issue is AVR is expecting 8 ohms speaker while you are connecting F&D speakers which are 4 ohms. so AVR has to drive more current for given voltage. this might affect the AVR. its still ok to experiment at lower volumes. I suggest try adding 2 speakers in series and drive them so that effective impedance is 8 ohms.

I had similiar thoughts earlier but the issue is AVR is expecting 8 ohms speaker while you are connecting F&D speakers which are 4 ohms. so AVR has to drive more current for given voltage. this might affect the AVR. its still ok to experiment at lower volumes. I suggest try adding 2 speakers in series and drive them so that effective impedance is 8 ohms.
I was suspecting the same. But the subwoofer in the package could drive these speakers so I thought may the AVR could too. connecting in series will result into a single speaker so no surround.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back