FEVICOL as Vinyl Cleaner !!!!

Anil kumar

This technique produced a dramatic, near elimination of surface noise.

I used FEVICOL SH [polyvinyl acrylate] as a medium to eliminate surface noise.
Plastic vinyl is very resistant to glue adhesion. This wood glue being predominantly made up of polyvinyl acrylate and is a close cousin to polyvinyl chloride [LPs] so they get on well together without any plasticizing transfers. When they do come apart, lots of junk caught in the grooves lifts off with the FEVICOL glue.

First, record was cleaned with Pril liquid soap with smooth brush.
After drying Fevicol was applied, i used an old plastic visiting card to spread the glue on the record. You can also use a old credit card for this job, make sure not to apply Fevicol on the label. Apply little bit thicker toward the lip, so glue lifts off without any problem. Normally this should take about 6-8 hours to dry. After 8 hours of drying dried glue was removed from the edge.

You may require 30 - 40 grams of glue per LP per side.

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
Nice idea. Maybe you should add one more picture finally, showing the clean record.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Once again it was cleaned with soap water with brush to remove stubborn glue, air dried for 20 mts​

Seeing is not always believing. But hearing is.....
Crackles and Pops have left the record :yahoo:

Last edited:
Fantastic! Would have loved to try the same. But I don't use records ..:)

Last edited:
Hello Anil,
That's a brilliant idea. Very innovative.But one have to be very vigilent during the entire process.I am just wondering the amount of FEvicol needed to clean 50 lps.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

Oh boy!
Not many people would have the guts to do this.
I had read of some product used abroad-it was sprayed on, let dry for a few mts & then the film peeled off with the dirt etc.It had got quite nice reviews.
But to try this with fevicol!
Courageous & Innovative thinking!

nagaoka and other guys make rollers based on the glue funda. the product is shaped like a steam roller with a handle that you roll over the lp along the grooves and then the dirt adheres to the surface. some products you wash off the dirt, other products you peel back a fresh layer on the roller for next use.

good thinking though :) might take a while to do hundreds of records though especially if you have to wash again with water and soap... lovely pics thanks for posting them!

another thing... imagine having this much fun experimenting and doing stuff with CDs!!! no chance :D vinyl rocks!

Hi Anil,

It's amazing, to say the least. But, I like to ask:

1) How did you think of such a method?
2) How were you sure that after drying, the glue layer will just simply peel off? Basically, how did you know that the glue will basically attract all the dirt and grease without forming a bond with the vinyl when dried? I have very little knowledge of macroscopic properties of materials, and that's why asking.
3) Is there any choice other than Fevicol which may also work?

Thanks a lot for the innovation. But let us know more by answering the questions, especially I am interested to know the thought process that went into it.

Thanks man!!
you are too good!!!! Supra!!!!:clapping::clapping::yahoo:
This shows indian innovation - use whatever you have!!!

You have used the "Fevicol SH" which is mainly used for woodwork by carpenters.

There is another commonly available variant "Fevicol MR" mainly used by my kids for handicrafts/ paper work.

Any idea whether this white glue will have the desired result?
Otherwise one needs to be cautious about this. :)

Hi Anil

You must be very patient guy to wait for adhesive to dry. How much time did it take to dry?*** If you apply thin layer it will not come off easily and at one go, and if you put too much of it will require more time to dry

As fevicol is reputed brand one can try cheaper alternative and also one can place other record on it than it will be cheaper and will save time.

Anyway Very good work.

Nice pics too.

Long live vinyl

regards

*** Sorry overlooked bottom part of your post (because pics were so good)

Last edited:
btw just for the info..........

i use plain simple toothpaste (fluoride only not gels) to clean a lot of scratched cd/DVDs.........i had a whole lot of audio CDs and DVDs that were scratched beyond repair and backups (and yes the isobuster, alcohol and a whole lot of software could not fix it) but i came across this method of cleaning dvds with fluoride toothpaste on the net. And it works....only 2 cds out of my audio cd collection and 1 dvd failed after cleaning with toothpaste. Rest worked fine.

Check out the links...

How to Clean DVDs and CDs - Associated Content

Clean your CD's/DVD's with Toothpaste!

Always use a lint free cloth and wipe inside to out and not circular. And use please use lukewarm water to clean off the toothpaste. And yes let the toothpaste stay for 5-10 mins after applying and gently polishing with fingertips.

Guys try this and let me know:cool:

Hai Anil kumar,

Great job. What was the sound like before and after Fevicol. I think it must a breakthrough in Vinyl care.

Thanks,

Murali.N

btw just for the info..........

i use plain simple toothpaste (fluoride only not gels) to clean a lot of scratched cd/DVDs.........i had a whole lot of audio CDs and DVDs that were scratched beyond repair and backups (and yes the isobuster, alcohol and a whole lot of software could not fix it) but i came across this method of cleaning dvds with fluoride toothpaste on the net. And it works....only 2 cds out of my audio cd collection and 1 dvd failed after cleaning with toothpaste. Rest worked fine.

Check out the links...

How to Clean DVDs and CDs - Associated Content

Clean your CD's/DVD's with Toothpaste!

Always use a lint free cloth and wipe inside to out and not circular. And use please use lukewarm water to clean off the toothpaste. And yes let the toothpaste stay for 5-10 mins after applying and gently polishing with fingertips.

Guys try this and let me know:cool:

In my experience it has never worked out. The links make it seem that it will work like a miracle. But I will not be surprised if you are disappointed. I have tried this as early as a decade ago.

The original idea was virgorous rubbing from inside to outside, in one direction, with a special soft cloth to even out the scratches.

It can work if scratches were very superficial, but deep scratches were almost impossible to remove. And superficial scratches may not affect reading anyway....:indifferent14:

Nowadays you do get DVDs that are scratch resistant.
But obviously they are much more expensive...

Wow.

How can you guarantee that no gunk gets left behind in the grooves for the stylus to pick up?

I would be way to worried to try something like this on any of my prized records.

Theoretically, makes sense. But practically? :rolleyes:

Back