FH3 [ Frugal Horn 3 ]

badrisuper

Hi,

First of all thanks to Bipin who has accepted to do a Frugal Horn 3 build for me. He has already shared snap shots of cabinet cuts which looks good.

I decided to go for Alpair 7.3 even though it is not so sensitive but I prefer a fatigue free and natural sounding driver. I opt for a supra baffle as well to do a driver swap in later days as a handy option. I have already contacted a seller in Singapore for Alpair driver. He quoted $160 for a pair of driver and $50 as shipping cost. There is another option to reduce the cost by choosing CHP70 which costs $64 for a pair.

If anyone likes to buy Mark Audio drivers please post your interest.

Thanks
Badri

Hi,
I have been contemplating the Alpair drivers.

Is there any Bookshelf enclosure design for these drivers? (Space is a constraint for me)

Please kindly advise.

Hi,
I have been contemplating the Alpair drivers.

Is there any Bookshelf enclosure design for these drivers? (Space is a constraint for me)

Please kindly advise.

You may find it here. Mar-ken 7 design plan is sold by Dave of Planet10Hifi which many users liked the it. If you buy Alpair 7.3en from him he is distributing for free along with drivers.

I have not yet gone through FH design yet but got one question considering Dave and Scott usually go for Baltic Birch...would MDF do the trick here?

I have not yet gone through FH design yet but got one question considering Dave and Scott usually go for Baltic Birch...would MDF do the trick here?

The Baltic Birch will hold up better to being transported as the plys of wood are physically stronger than the MDF pulp. Birch will also be lighter, but require more crossbracing as it is not as dense as the MDF. The MDF is more prone to mold and mildew (not an issue if you seal with an oil-based paint though), and the dust particles are smaller than the Birch making it more prone to inhalation while working with it.
The Birch will be more expensive and not that easily available in local INDIAN market which makes it a tough choice here. Hope this helps...

As per my knowledge Singapore price is cheaper after conversion to INR as compared to US. The diff must be abt 10 percent or more. this is true for alpair 10.3. not sure abt other models.

Good decision for buying them from Singapore.

Waiting for listening impression. This was my dream which never materialized. Kept this plan in database for atleast 7-8 years. Good thing initiated by Bibin.

Any suggestions on drivers and builds for a fullrange bookshelf?

These speakers reportedly sound as good as Feastrex based speakers and apparently do not have that "peakiness" which is typical of single driver speakers. Louis has just started selling the drivers to DIY community. Take a look at his drivers. There is a circle for these speakers on a US based forum.

There is a build thread on some other forum.

I'm seriously eying them to make my second system.

Waiting for listening impression. This was my dream which never materialized. Kept this plan in database for atleast 7-8 years. Good thing initiated by Bibin.

Yes, looking forward to hear and see the latest developments.

@Omishra, the OP is Badrisuper who has outsourced the build to Bibin.:)

Back