Finally a Dedicated Media Room

How good is Audyssey XT32 by itself without minidsp when it comes to gain matching dual subs ?
I personally always had issues with setting correct gain and even delay using XT32, just going by the ears ... after running audyssey I always had to tinker around with the distance and then levels.

With MiniDSP, I have one virtual sub for AVR and rest all parameters are taken care by MiniDSP (which has tons of configuration options available). Therefore Audessey doesn't have much to do. I infact keep Audessey Off (Reference kills a lot of dynamics)

I personally always had issues with setting correct gain and even delay using XT32, just going by the ears ... after running audyssey I always had to tinker around with the distance and then levels.

With MiniDSP, I have one virtual sub for AVR and rest all parameters are taken care by MiniDSP (which has tons of configuration options available). Therefore Audessey doesn't have much to do. I infact keep Audessey Off (Reference kills a lot of dynamics)

Good to know, thanks for your inputs. Will go through your thread in detail once i get a umik and minidsp

You no need to turn off audyssey, you can keep reference but in Audyssey editor app, just reduce the eq to 300 or 500hz based on your room, see episode 44 home theater gurus where he explains the benefit of using app.

Here it is

Hmm. Gain matching (as I understood it anyway) was a way to ensure that the drivers in all the subs all got the same level of electrical input. That effectively rules out gain matching of dissimilar subs.

I've seen recommendations for level matching of dissimilar subs (from their in-room positions) at the MLP, but this is the first time I've seen the technique described in the video as gain matching.

Hmm. Gain matching (as I understood it anyway) was a way to ensure that the drivers in all the subs all got the same level of electrical input. That effectively rules out gain matching of dissimilar subs.

I've seen recommendations for level matching of dissimilar subs (from their in-room positions) at the MLP, but this is the first time I've seen the technique described in the video as gain matching.
I used near field method though

You no need to turn off audyssey, you can keep reference but in Audyssey editor app, just reduce the eq to 300 or 500hz based on your room, see episode 44 home theater gurus where he explains the benefit of using app.
Actually did the same :) as I use the MultiEQ app. Still, turning off Audyssey completely works better to my Ears

I used near field method though

Which is how identical subs ought to be gain matched.

Curious about your rationale for "gain matching" like this though, with a PB 1000 and PB 2000 pro. Given the difference in output capabilities between your two subs, why would you want them putting out the same amount of acoustical energy into your room?

nice inputs!!

Which is how identical subs ought to be gain matched.

Curious about your rationale for "gain matching" like this though, with a PB 1000 and PB 2000 pro. Given the difference in output capabilities between your two subs, why would you want them putting out the same amount of acoustical energy into your room?
From what I understand, my listening level is about 75-80db (-6 to -10 db from reference) and the subs hit a top of about 102-103db in extreme LFE loudness scenes. The subs still may not be throttled to 50% of their capacity most of the times and I have sufficient headroom for PB 1000 as well. Gain Matching helped more balanced bass filling impact in Room as against using PB 1000 only for reinforcement. I tested some extreme scenes having both subs gain matched and both subs so far were very comfortable and did not sound that PB 1000 may blow up chasing PB 2000 pro.

From what I understand, my listening level is about 75-80db (-6 to -10 db from reference) and the subs hit a top of about 102-103db in extreme LFE loudness scenes. The subs still may not be throttled to 50% of their capacity most of the times and I have sufficient headroom for PB 1000 as well. Gain Matching helped more balanced bass filling impact in Room as against using PB 1000 only for reinforcement. I tested some extreme scenes having both subs gain matched and both subs so far were very comfortable and did not sound that PB 1000 may blow up chasing PB 2000 pro.

Cool. I understand your situation better now. As long as it works to your satisfaction, great!

Hello All, Yesterday received minidsp2x4HD, will be getting second subwoofer within next couple of months, Getting excited and also feeling happy somewhere, that i am going to hear best bass response in my room soon. Cant wait to share with you all once done. Nice to be part of this community where only true audio lovers and knowledgeable people will understand the worth of gear.

hi can you please post your graphs for your two subs pb2000 pro and pb1000, you said you will post in sometime.
here :)

here :)

Thanks will look into it. Even i am also thinking pb2000 pro as second sub, but curious to know how it blends with my pb1000.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back