Finally bought the 50-XT50

arnprasad

Hi..just signed up for the 50XT50 with Metro Blore for 50K.

Good:

(1) Large screen
(2) Affordable

Bad:

(1) When next to 55 inch LG LED costing 1.5 lacs.....the LG beat the hell out of this one - but then it was costing 3 times as much
(2) No glasses
(3) 720p only- no fancy infinite pro and all that - I will compensate this by pushing my sofa two feet back!!!!

Alternatives:

No one had the UT50 and Samsung E550 too was playing hard to get

Hope:
This TV works with universal 3d glasses as the ones from Samsung which definitely works on ST50 and VT50 will work on this one too. It just costs 1K each in US - will have someone get it for me.

Whats the hurry:

Have been desperately trying to get a TV for past 3 weeks. This is my first olympics on big screen..just couldnt hold on any longer.

History:

1984: dad bought first b&w tv - Hatari for LA olympics
1988: dad bought first color - for Seoul olympics
2012: son gets second flat panel for London olympics

I dont think I am getting an HT free and I dont care coz I have a custom assembled HT. Also I didnt get any glasses. The panasonic glasses cost 4-5K each I guess.

Congrats . Please post some pics . Who delivered the set and which metro cash and carry was it ?

Do metro plan to get 50UT50 also ?

This one was at Ypur. They do not carry UT50 and even if they did, I dont think it will be much cheaper than outside. This one too had a selling price of 60K. for some reason they want to get rid of stock and hence the discount.

Congratulations............excellent choice!!! XT50 is one of the best entry level plasma's in the market. Talking about the LG LED.........well put it next to the VT50 and then the lg will be no match, cant compare an entry level tv to a top end tv.

In a showroom, LED will always appear better. And it is my honest and humble opinion that LED is better for DTH/Cable. Typically what people generally watch on any TV are soap operas, sitcoms, reality shows, news, some music and sports. Occasionally on weekends, some watch movies. For all these usages, LED is better because the vivid colours of soap operas match the dynamic colours of LED. Black levels are not important in these cases and neither is near-instantaneous response time.

And the thin LED models looks so damn sexy.

I hope at home the XT50 wont look as bad as it what it did in the showroom. Dont feel happy going for a 720P Tv from 1080P, but just couldnt handle this suspense of getting a "good" tv any longer.

spending another 25K to get a UT50 or E550 is not a big deal for me, but I just got tired of people telling me they had no stocks.

Also -the guy at Metro said he will inform panasonic and they will visit me in 48 hours. does anyone if calling Panasonic directly will help? today I am working from home with the hope that the installation will happen

Trust me. XT50 will just do fine if your watching habits remain the same. The "1080p" bug will continue to haunt you just the same for the reason because you think that you have gone a step down. But this will not be a big concern. Watch DTH for some days and you will not feel much different.

Now that you have saved 25-28K, here is a suggestion. See whether you can get the panel in your old Samsung replaced for this amount or may be a 10K more. Then you have:

a) 2 TVs!!!!!
b) A plasma and LED
c) 1080p also

when I said spending 25K was not a big deal for me - it wasn't meant that I have excess money:lol: Its just that unlike most people I feel investment in TV is worth it because - I watch 2-3 hrs on weekdays and 5-6hrs on weekends, my kids watch atleast one pixar movie a day + 2-3 hrs of WII gaming, my mother watches all star plus soaps from 7 pm to 11pm. Of course few of these would overlap and the loser of the argument gets to go up and watch the 21 inch CRT - but still we are talking at least 8hours (cumulative) of our lives everyday watching TV.

The worry about getting my samsung repaired is the fact that I dont have enough space for 2 TVs..live in my parents 25 years house...and first floor viewing distance is less than 6 feet.

Maybe some day when its confirmed that I will spend rest of my life in Bangalore, then I will build a dedicated HT room. Till then I am vagabound depending on better employment opportunities and hence no dedicated house or TV room!

The 21" TV could be replaced by the Samsung. 6' distance is close but not too close. The "long distance" argument is a carry-over from the old CRT days. CRT, as you know, emits harmful (cathode) rays that can damage the cornea when sitting close. LCD/LED and plasma do not emit these and hence we can sit closer. We work on Laptop LCD screens or desktop LCD for hours together without too much eye fatigue.

The only thing I will suggest will be to lower the brightness when closer to LCD screen.

thanks. In fact the two triggers for my purchase was a comment by a hyderabad boarder that he saw this TV in Metro hyd and your comment yesterday that you saw it in Metro as well.

Seems to buy stuff in Metro you dont really need a card - the metro folks help you out. they have around 15 Tvs left in the stock I guess.

Hi..Any idea how we can get some real 3d content - the ones they have on display at showroom - particularly the LG ones.

i have downloaded many Pixar movies in 3d but they do not seem to have the 3D effects like things being thrown at your face or animals popping out from the screen. Any examples of content that does these gimmicks?

Yesterday I asked the Metro guy to copy some demo material on a disk, but he said they have their stuff on a special device which seems like a player with a hard disk - he wasn't aware how to get stuff out of that -or maybe he was just too lazy.

so appreciate help on how to get some gimmicky 3d stuff

50" size, 50 Series PDP at 50 K sounds good........

The history factor mentioned here.... some proude feeling.... cheers...

Hi..just signed up for the 50XT50 with Metro Blore for 50K.

Good:

(1) Large screen
(2) Affordable

Bad:

(1) When next to 55 inch LG LED costing 1.5 lacs.....the LG beat the hell out of this one - but then it was costing 3 times as much
(2) No glasses
(3) 720p only- no fancy infinite pro and all that - I will compensate this by pushing my sofa two feet back!!!!

Alternatives:

No one had the UT50 and Samsung E550 too was playing hard to get

Hope:
This TV works with universal 3d glasses as the ones from Samsung which definitely works on ST50 and VT50 will work on this one too. It just costs 1K each in US - will have someone get it for me.

Whats the hurry:

Have been desperately trying to get a TV for past 3 weeks. This is my first olympics on big screen..just couldnt hold on any longer.

History:

1984: dad bought first b&w tv - Hatari for LA olympics
1988: dad bought first color - for Seoul olympics
2012: son gets second flat panel for London olympics

thanks. In fact the two triggers for my purchase was a comment by a hyderabad boarder that he saw this TV in Metro hyd and your comment yesterday that you saw it in Metro as well.

Seems to buy stuff in Metro you dont really need a card - the metro folks help you out. they have around 15 Tvs left in the stock I guess.

Congratulations on your decision, well since you said you don't really need a metro card to buy the product in metro,whether the same offer is available in Hyderabad,please share your views and opinion.How reliable is METRO Hyderabad.

well since you are buying a brand new tv in a sealed box..you dont have to worry about the reliability of the seller as long as they give you a valid bill. Any thing happens to the TV even tomorrow - the seller has nothing to do with it - you have to deal directly with the panasonic folks.

regarding buying from metro - if you dont have a card..just google, get their number and tell them you want to buy - am sure they will help you out...after all not too many folks line up to buy items worth 50K!!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back