Finally ...Bought Yamaha YHT-196 ..its SUPERB

kyahaiyaar

Thanks to to all the forum members who helped me in deciding the Home Theater under 25k for my PS4.

I purchased Yamaha YHT-196 from Reliance Digital Janakpuri,Delhi at 20k.

I really loved it. Hooked up my PS4 and PC to it.

I am getting a proper Surround Sound as required.

Cons:
Everything is amazing..but It lacks Punchy Bass.

Could anyone help me with the setting like Crossover, speaker setup etc. Actually i am new to these options..please help

Congratulations..

You might want to check my thread wherein I have mentioned some settings.

For bass, diagonal placement of sub will definitely make the difference. you can try that.

Enjoy your set up.

Check your amp's crossover setting, may be its default setting 150 hz. Then turn on crossover subwoofer settings to 80Hz, improvements you can feel immediately.

Other settings to speakers - If your AVR's speakers settings may be 'Large', set it to or change to 'small'.

Note...Don't expect deep punch, bcoz it is entry level package.

Last edited:
Congratulations..

You might want to check my thread wherein I have mentioned some settings.

For bass, diagonal placement of sub will definitely make the difference. you can try that.

Enjoy your set up.

Thanks a ton vinay...i'll try the settings provided in ur post...

Currently the settings that ive done so far is as under:

==>i've set Bass and Treble at +5db is that right??
==>i've set the corssover to 100Hz ..what should be optimal?
==>i've increased the Centre and subwoffer level to 5-6 points from default.
==>didnt increase the Surround , and Front LR channel Levels

The Connections i've done are as Under:

Inputs
PS4===HDMI==>YHT-196
PC ===HDMI==>YHT-196

Outputs
YHT-196===HDMI==> TV

Vinay brother..please provide your inputs on the above mentioned settings and help me get it correct...

This is totally a function of frquency reponse of your speakers. Check the declared specs. for e.g. if ur speakers' freq response is stated as '150 hz to 20K hz', the crossover should be set at around 150 i.e. either 140hz or 160hz as it sounds better to you.

basically what crossover does is send all frequency below its setting to subwoofer because speaker is not designed to reproduce that frequency. The speakers will then receive only the frequency above that number.

This is totally a function of frquency reponse of your speakers. Check the declared specs. for e.g. if ur speakers' freq response is stated as '150 hz to 20K hz', the crossover should be set at around 150 i.e. either 140hz or 160hz as it sounds better to you.

basically what crossover does is send all frequency below its setting to subwoofer because speaker is not designed to reproduce that frequency. The speakers will then receive only the frequency above that number.
Oh thanks htfan17.. Speaker set frequency as per the manual is 70hz-25khz(-10dB) and 45khz (-30dB)

What crossover should I set on AVR

Oh thanks htfan17.. Speaker set frequency as per the manual is 70hz-25khz(-10dB) and 45khz (-30dB)

Technically by the stated specs, 80hz shd be the ideal crossover in this case. However, the HTIBs of this category generally do not have as good speakers as their stated response suggests. What i mean to say is even tower speakers of high end brand struggle a lot to come down to reproducing 60-70hz. So for the satellites, u better play safe and keep some extra margin. Set the crossover at 100 or 120 hz. In my opinion that should do, however ur ears are the best judge. E.g. some people always like to hear some bass from speakers (crossover set at 80 hz), no matter how dull that bass sounds from the satellites. Others (like me) prefer to let them breathe without low freuqncies (crossover at 150 hz) and reproduce only what they can do best and let subwooofer alone handle all the lows. So try out both ways and decide ur preference.

Thanks a ton vinay...i'll try the settings provided in ur post...

Currently the settings that ive done so far is as under:

==>i've set Bass and Treble at +5db is that right??
==>i've increased the Centre and subwoffer level to 5-6 points from default.
==>didnt increase the Surround , and Front LR channel Levels

The Connections i've done are as Under:

Inputs
PS4===HDMI==>YHT-196
PC ===HDMI==>YHT-196

Outputs
YHT-196===HDMI==> TV

Vinay brother..please provide your inputs on the above mentioned settings and help me get it correct...

Crossover of 100 and 120 seems good. Bass and treble is personal preference so set whatever you like but now I prefer it to be neutral. I prefer increased surround level by 2-3 points. Also set accurate distance of each speaker. Place subwoofer diagonally. all speakers small. etc.

Keep experimenting for some days and you will find your perfect setting.

Useless specs. What do you hear at -10dB? Leave alone -30dB

Do this pack comes with YPAO setting mic? Use that if that is available.

Else, set satellite speakers to somewhere above 100Hz. Better even, keep the factory setting as it is, just play with sub placement and equalizers.

Useless specs. What do you hear at -10dB? Leave alone -30dB

Do this pack comes with YPAO setting mic? Use that if that is available.

Else, set satellite speakers to somewhere above 100Hz. Better even, keep the factory setting as it is, just play with sub placement and equalizers.

Crossover of 100 and 120 seems good. Bass and treble is personal preference so set whatever you like but now I prefer it to be neutral. I prefer increased surround level by 2-3 points. Also set accurate distance of each speaker. Place subwoofer diagonally. all speakers small. etc.

Keep experimenting for some days and you will find your perfect setting.

Technically by the stated specs, 80hz shd be the ideal crossover in this case. However, the HTIBs of this category generally do not have as good speakers as their stated response suggests. What i mean to say is even tower speakers of high end brand struggle a lot to come down to reproducing 60-70hz. So for the satellites, u better play safe and keep some extra margin. Set the crossover at 100 or 120 hz. In my opinion that should do, however ur ears are the best judge. E.g. some people always like to hear some bass from speakers (crossover set at 80 hz), no matter how dull that bass sounds from the satellites. Others (like me) prefer to let them breathe without low freuqncies (crossover at 150 hz) and reproduce only what they can do best and let subwooofer alone handle all the lows. So try out both ways and decide ur preference.

Thanks all for your valuable inputs ..i really appreciate:)... will set crossover to 120Hz that would be better i think ....by diwali ... i will buy a nice speaker set with an active subwoofer.

If your system has the sub woofer, large right and left speakers as well as small surround speakers, you will want to play a bit with the settings on all the speakers except the sub woofer. Again the only settings that you will need to make sure you set are the 'On' status and the hertz set to 80. You may want to try setting the right and left speakers to Large and the remaining channels to Small. Test this settings for the sound quality. If there is too much bass, change the settings on the right and left speakers to Small to reduce the amount of low tones that are sent to the large right and left speakers.

''Good Sub woofer frequency is 20 - 80 hz', above 80hz may be called Mid bass. These frequency creates boomy bass around the room. If you turn to sub woofer frequency 150hz, you can hear 'mid bass vocal sound'. This is not good settings, so always set 80hz if you're using Tower speakers, if you've small speakers set it to 100hz. This is the ultimate settings...

If your system has the sub woofer, large right and left speakers as well as small surround speakers, you will want to play a bit with the settings on all the speakers except the sub woofer. Again the only settings that you will need to make sure you set are the 'On' status and the hertz set to 80. You may want to try setting the right and left speakers to Large and the remaining channels to Small. Test this settings for the sound quality. If there is too much bass, change the settings on the right and left speakers to Small to reduce the amount of low tones that are sent to the large right and left speakers.

''Good Sub woofer frequency is 20 - 80 hz', above 80hz may be called Mid bass. These frequency creates boomy bass around the room. If you turn to sub woofer frequency 150hz, you can hear 'mid bass vocal sound'. This is not good settings, so always set 80hz if you're using Tower speakers, if you've small speakers set it to 100hz. This is the ultimate settings...
Basically you are talking about the crossover settings.. Right? Tell me if I am wrong..if there is some other settings you are talking about..do let me know where to find it on my receiver...

Which TV do you use? Does it have HDMI ARC? If yes can YHT 196 receive true 5.1 from it when playing movies via USB port of TV? Movie should have 5.1 ofcourse.

Which TV do you use? Does it have HDMI ARC? If yes can YHT 196 receive true 5.1 from it when playing movies via USB port of TV? Movie should have 5.1 ofcourse.
Hi island... Sorry to say..but I have an old 40 inch llyod lcd tv that doesn't support ARC.. But yes I can assure you that yht196 supports ARC ... Mostly all sony tvs support 5.1 dolby surround.. While majority of samsung n Panasonic supports 2.1 audio over ARC... If u have sony tv.. 5.1 over hdmi will work most probably.. Just check in the manual if ur tv has dolby chip

Basically you are talking about the crossover settings.. Right? Tell me if I am wrong..if there is some other settings you are talking about..do let me know where to find it on my receiver...

Please read carefully supplied instruction manual, if manual not avail download the same. Sub woofer settings very easy, adjust crossover volume knob in 90 degree (you can see this knob in the back side of the sub)

Please read carefully supplied instruction manual, if manual not avail download the same. Sub woofer settings very easy, adjust crossover volume knob in 90 degree (you can see this knob in the back side of the sub)
This particular sub is a passive sub..n thus it doesn't have any knob..

I'm assuming that you've a 5.1 home theatre sytem. So what's your actual problem?
Yes..u r absolutely correct.. Its 5.1 system I.e. Yamaha YHT-196.

Issue is I want to keep the best possible settings for the system....secondly my room echos.. It has 3 walls with 4th wall of aluminium N glass windows.. So the sound echos.. Thats the reason m not satisfied with the sound that should be delivered.. [emoji20]

Yes..u r absolutely correct.. Its 5.1 system I.e. Yamaha YHT-196.

Issue is I want to keep the best possible settings for the system....secondly my room echos.. It has 3 walls with 4th wall of aluminium N glass windows.. So the sound echos.. Thats the reason m not satisfied with the sound that should be delivered.. [emoji20]

I checked instruction manual of your yamaha HTR-2064 receiver.
Yamaha supplied 5 satellite speakers and a passive sub woofer along with this receiver. Firstly its a package item as like sony home theatre system.

Please check instruction manual's page number 34 & 35. you can see how to change sub woofer settings. Yamaha's normal default setting is 160 Hz, you can change it from 40Hz to 120 Hz. my suggestion is that change it to 80 or 100hz.

If again you're not satisfied these settings and hear boom sound, if possible add a good active sub woofer, in this situation you should disconnect passive sub.

Your satellite speaker's height not beyond 6 feet.
Add a good mate in your floor surface, may be almost echo sounds will reduce a minimum of 50%.

Last edited:
I checked instruction manual of your yamaha HTR-2064 receiver.
Yamaha supplied 5 satellite speakers and a passive sub woofer along with this receiver. Firstly its a package item as like sony home theatre system.

Please check instruction manual's page number 34 & 35. you can see how to change sub woofer settings. Yamaha's normal default setting is 160 Hz, you can change it from 40Hz to 120 Hz. my suggestion is that change it to 80 or 100hz.

If again you're not satisfied these settings and hear boom sound, if possible add a good active sub woofer, in this situation you should disconnect passive sub.

Your satellite speaker's height not beyond 6 feet.
Add a good mate in your floor surface, may be almost echo sounds will reduce a minimum of 50%.
Thank so so much.. Bro I really appreciate the efforts u put in to resolve my issue..thanks a ton bro..

I've set the crossover to 100hz.. Still no thump..
I've set my left and right surrounds on my ear level.. Front left and right little upper n subwoofer in the corner...
Wat about the mate ur talking about?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back