Finally my DIY tube amp project gets kick-started

I am planning to make some layout changes in the other channel monoblock to reduce all wire lengths from the PCB to the tube base, to have easy access to measure voltages, have better ventilation and any future serivicibality. This may take a little longer than expected but may benefit from even lower residual noise(my guess).

Last edited:
Today replaced the crap Chinese computer cable with a DIY 12 awg X3 silver plated copper wire on a brass connectors. Those who think both cables sound same , I think they are either fooling themselves or have some serious listening disability. For them I can only say this - Let "GOD" be with them for rest of their lives. Period.

I measured the monoblock weight to be around 19 kg.

Today replaced the crap Chinese computer cable with a DIY 12 awg X3 silver plated copper wire on a brass connectors. Those who think both cables sound same , I think they are either fooling themselves or have some serious listening disability. For them I can only say this - Let "GOD" be with them for rest of their lives. Period.

I measured the monoblock weight to be around 19 kg.

Don't be too harsh:)

Can you post the pic of your power cable? I am tempting to diy one for myself.

Regards
Sachin
The DIY cable uses a mill spec 12 AWG pure silver plated copper wire which you will need to import from Apex Jr. This wire is not available locally. I have used Fulton wire length for the power cable. No twisting of wires nor any wire tie, they are naturally away from each other to prevent inter coupling or radiation.

I have tried local silver plated copper wires too, they tend to be less smooth compared to this. Shall post images tomorrow morning.

Build image progress as of this weekend - channel 2

DCSET-21.jpg

DCSET-22.jpg

BTW, my carpenter is on vacation and i shall not get the chassis for another 2 weeks. Till then enjoy only mono sound.:)

In audio there is no universal rule that only one type of cables work. Different materials, different geometries, different gauges wires all have their own space in audio. The choice depends on one’s system and one’s listening preferences.

In my system I use Chinese power cords. I don’t find anything wrong with them. Hari, when you heard my lowly Denon with the EMT and JBL, even that time I was using cheap Chinese power cords. Guys like Nelson Pass, Vladimir Lamm, David Berning all use cheap Chinese power cords with their amps.

If you are saying don’t buy Chinese, buy made in India, I buy that :)

Last edited:
Hari, since 12awg DIY silver plated copper works for you, try a 14 awg normal copper power cable. Normally computer power cables are 16 or 18 awg.

@prem Each one to its own. I can demonstrate both the cables @ my home when you come over for a listen. The Chinese one struggles with pulse current and compress the sound stage while the mil spec wire plays them with ease in my setup. Btw, just because others named in your post use Chinese cables that can't be the only truth or the only absolute path to Nirvana. There will be and are other truth too and that too is not the only path to Nirvana.

We are too obsessed with what Nelson Pass and David Berning do and blindly believe whatever they say or do is the absolute truth without giving any scope for reasoning or independent thinking. Nelson Pass usually build SS amplifiers with Jfets and MOSFETs and Berning build OPTL type amplifiers. Maybe cheap Chinese cables are perfectly okay with their design and maybe these amplifiers don't have pulse current requirements. There is always some wisdom and thought gone in their amplifier design which is why they prefer a Chinese cable and cost may not be a criteria.
Similarly my DIY amplifier too has some reason why they require better cables and why stock Chinese cables sucked in them. We cannot apply the same yard stick to each and every design and Prem you know that better than me in that aspect.

If anyone finds Nirvana with chines cables I am perfectly ok with that. My wife or daughter can't make out the difference in SQ between their mobile speakers and my OB speakers too. Does that mean my OB speakers sound like a mobile speaker OR do the mobile speaker sound similar to my OB speakers? Wondering.

Hari, I don’t think you read my post properly.

‘In audio there is no universal rule that only one type of cables work. Different materials, different geometries, different gauges wires all have their own space in audio. The choice depends on one’s system and one’s listening preferences.’

And BTW, Berning uses mil speced silver plated copper for some of his internal wiring. :)

All I wanted to convey was different systems may need different types of cabling. Your post suggested that mil speced silver plated power cable was the way to go. That is not necessarily true. In your system it might be the best option. In someone else’s system it may not be. In many cases simple unshielded computer power cords work fine

Last edited:
Yes Prem I agree. It's like saying that my religion is the only true religion to realise GOD. Follow any other path and you are doomed and stuck to this world. Like a Hindu saying only my religion leads to GOD and Christian, Islam and others saying same thing about their religion too. Nothing right or wrong following any path that matches your mood and temperament imo.

The Nelson Pass design uses a huge capacitor bank or virtual capacitor to store pulse energy. The Berning use SMPS power supply for PWM for handling pulse current. My DIY amplifier is LSES (Low Energy Storage Supply) and require pulse current handling capability in the mil spec silver plated copper wire and GTO snubber capacitors. Even the power socket and power on/off switch required is 20 A type, though my continuous RMS current requirements for the monoblock is just 85mA. My power transformer is underated 6 times this requirement at 450 mA just for this pulse current capability and I don't want a Chinese cable to ruin the design.

For them I can only say this - Let "GOD" be with them for rest of their lives. Period.
Gods dont care, otherwise they would have deposited 10 Lakh (after tax cuts) in my bank account and balance after I hear differences. But They (Gods) are busy doing pretty mundane oridinary boring things like sunrise, sunset, rotating small tiny planets and galaxies and occassional earthquakes when in bad mood.
Regards

Gods dont care, otherwise they would have deposited 10 Lakh (after tax cuts) in my bank account and balance after I hear differences. But They (Gods) are busy doing pretty mundane oridinary boring things like sunrise, sunset, rotating small tiny planets and galaxies and occassional earthquakes when in bad mood.
Regards
ROFL!

Was wondering if GOD does mundane boring things like sunrise and sunset with so much precision, then won't HE know how to make a power cable?

Was wondering if GOD does mundane boring things like sunrise and sunset with so much precision, then won't HE know how to make a power cable?
Tut, tut, tut

How do you know it's a HE? And not a SHE? :p

Not to forget the rainbow colours that are available too!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back