finishing/painting speakers/subs

doors666

Hi Guys,

Searched a lot here but could not find much of information on painting the speakers. Searched on other forums also, but most of the brands etc mentioned for various items are not available here.

Questions on how to paint MDF:

Do I use putty/wood putty first. Any particular brands that are known to be good. are all puttys need mixing with water, will that affect mdf.

How to seal the edges of mdf. if I dont do that, it will eat up a lot of paint/primer. Lots of people seems to be using wood glue/water 50-50 mix. is wood glue same as fevicol? if not, what else should i get.

Do I need to use a primer, how many coats. what primer, water based or oil based. Any color will do or should it be similar to the final color.

How to paint? brush/roller? water based paint or oil based paint. what about the paint sprays available now a days? any good brands? how to use these. how much gets consumed? should I first use roller for a couple of coats and then do a final coat with the spray as its expensive?

when to sand. how much to sand. what sand paper to use. how much to wait between layers of putty/primer/paint.

how will this process differ if I use ply instead of mdf. the final product should be water resistant, specially in case of mdf.

Any other relevant info? Please give detailed response as its my first time. I probably will get a painter or carpenter, but still should know the process as I am sure those guys wont.

any info on piano black finish. how to get there, has anyone here tried it?

thanx for all your help.

If you have any furthur doubts, just email Lou Lung-he is helpful and knowledgeable. BTW, he lives in Boston and I have spoken to him a few times in the US.

Hi Guys,

Searched a lot here but could not find much of information on painting the speakers. Searched on other forums also,

thanx for all your help.

suri is he guy for you ..load a PM with questions to him..
You can visit the DIY threads in audioholics etc..
Here is one :
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68531&page=9
results:
ER181-25-20112resize.jpg

Last edited:
Automotive paint is an option that some have recommended for MDF enclosures. For corners I have used solid timer and veneered ply for sides with solid timber front.

thanx george.

the problem with MDF is that its edges will drink paint/primer like anything. The edges will stand out after the painting is complete and it wont look seamless. The solution most of the people are using is to apply some kind of wood glue first (mixed 50-50 with water) and then use the putty/primer/paint. I cant seem to find an equivalent product here. i suspect fevicol wont be good for this.

i have already purchased the spray paint, primer and putty for this job. its just small desktop speakers, so I think I should be able to handle this myself. will be a good experience painting myself:) Dont care too much about excellent finish, but shouldnt be so bad that my wife throws out the speakers while i am not there:lol:

thanx george.

the problem with MDF is that its edges will drink paint/primer like anything. The edges will stand out after the painting is complete and it wont look seamless. The solution most of the people are using is to apply some kind of wood glue first (mixed 50-50 with water) and then use the putty/primer/paint. I cant seem to find an equivalent product here. i suspect fevicol wont be good for this.

i have already purchased the spray paint, primer and putty for this job. its just small desktop speakers, so I think I should be able to handle this myself. will be a good experience painting myself:) Dont care too much about excellent finish, but shouldnt be so bad that my wife throws out the speakers while i am not there:lol:

closing pores of mdf/wood is basic of a ultimate finish ........
woodworking forums will give how that can be done ,see online

Just follow this...you should get..it..i am also follwoing this...

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/14433-my-frugal-reference-loudspeaker-philips-fullrange-9.html

Though you are senior to me...:)..this is my suggestion..;)

thanx. you are using ply. the process is different for mdf. mdf needs edge sealing while ply does not. on someone's recommendations, i used the fevicol craft glue used by kids for this. lets see how it turns out. i am not sure if i need to use putty on the surface or not as its quite smooth and will get better after sanding, maybe i should just use primer and paint. anyway water based items are ruled out as mdf reacts badly to water.

One interesting project..which can help us...

HTGuide Forum - Zaph SR71 Build Thread...

Some articles...

How to seal MDF edges for painting | eHow.com

Tips for Painting MDF - Fine Woodworking Article
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
.........But to be frank enough...all techniques..seem to be very complex...i surfed for close to 2 hours continously..:sad: ...but i am back in there where i was previously....:mad:

But i have a completely new idea now...i am attaching the document i created...

My idea..is we will build the enclosure with the MDF as is..then later we will cover it with plywood very thin and cheaper one...1/4 of inch...

This will overcome problems of painting mdf..and we will not compromise in using mdf in enclosure building as well...

What are your thoughts on this....?

NT

Attachments

• MY THOUGHT.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 19
havent checked the file you posted yet, lots of people have tried this, called sandwiched build. people have used real wood also for the external layers for the good looks.

too bad I cant use it. this is a desktop based very small system (around 6.5 litres) and I am already using 19mm mdf (some 17.5 actually). cant add more wood. its already big and heavy enough. To make it worse, I am making 2 pairs for my desktop so space is at a premium.

Just to experiment, I got some putty (ready made) from asian paints and tried it on the speaker grills (grill is made from ply). Man its hard applying it uniformly on a small grill. It wasnt smooth, later I had to scrape out most of it with putty blade and sandpaper. Thats the reason I am skeptical of using it on the speakers and comtemplating using just two coats of primer and two coats of spray paint.

Ha..ha..so thats why i say you are senior....!

sandwiched build...this is new to me..great..!

Please do post Picutures of the progress you are going to make.
Right now i am following you and Antony philips ...project.....>

NT

this is a simple one. alpair 7 full range. no tweeter, no crossovers.

the second one is overnight sensations. search on google for more details. i need to start that build yet. probably this weekend:)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back