First DIY: 5.1 HT speakers and table top subwoofer amplifier. Budget-Rs50,000/-

Kevano

The plan:
Sealed enclosures and full range drivers for LCRS.
Iwai 12" subwoofer and Faital Pro 3FE25 FR drivers.
18 mm MDF enclosure with grill cloth on front, back and sides sandwiched between wood mosaic panel on top and bottom.
Table top subwoofer amplifier.

Material accumulate till now:
DIY 300W class AB amp built by FM @adas. Iwai 12" subwoofer, Faital Pro 3FE25 FR drivers, wood mosaic sheet, pine wood blocks and polyfill.

Materials on list at the moment:
Grill cloth, speaker wire, faston connectors, silicon sealant, screws, T-nuts, Fevicol SH, sand paper, wood sealant and black texture paint.

Tools bought till now:
Endico PARA12TPR router.

Tools on list at the moment:
Router bits, F-clamps and wire crimping tool.

Work done till now:
CNC router cutting of 18 mm MDF panels.

Today is a very special day for me. Did some actual wood work for the first time. Cut two panels of wood mosaic that's meant to go as the top and bottom of the 18 mm MDF enclosure.

Attachments

• 1 First handsaw day.jpg
    1 First handsaw day.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 135
  • 2 First cut.jpg
    2 First cut.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 3 First saw dust.jpg
    3 First saw dust.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 131
  • 4 Second cut.jpg
    4 Second cut.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Hey hi kevano,
Long time no say how is your project proceeding?
Hey, hey........
Yes, yes, it's been a while and finally your electronics will power the air. As for the project, most of the decision making is done. Currently procurement of remaining material and tools is in progress. Just ordered eight 24" F-clamps today.

I turned it on for 10-15 seconds 3 times yesterday and 2 times today. The burning smell got me worried, so I stopped.

I tried 2 bursts of 30seconds just now. The burning smell is drastically reduced to just a hint. Unit is not heating for the time I tried.

The varnish in the windings of a motor emits some amount of burning smell due to heat when run for the first time. It's normal. But too much is a concern

Upto what grit of sand paper should I use to sand some aberrations of the CNC cut MDF. Apart from the aberrations, does the well cut part need to be sanded to make it smoother for proper gluing.

Thanks @Thirumalkumaran, @gp_freak, @SRI 420 and @jbkar for your advice on the circular saw burning smell matter.

Last edited:
Upto what grit of sand paper should I use to sand some aberrations of the CNC cut MDF. Apart from the aberrations, does the well cut part need to be sanded to make it smoother for proper gluing.

Thanks @Thirumalkumaran, @gp_freak, @SRI 420 and @jbkar for your advice on the circular saw burning smell matter.
Try 80 to 160. Depends on what you are trying to do. If it's small enough, then 120 should be good in balance. No need to sand areas which are to be glued.

Btw , does your circular saw come with a laser guide ? Make a small review on it. From the pic it looks like it has an aluminium base. The features looks too good to be true for that price.

Pink army; ready for 5.1 duty

40 soldiers, CNC router cut out of 8ft x4ft 18mm MDF

Next step, getting into battle formation.
Left, center, right, left surround, right surround and subwoofer.
Ammunition: F-clamps and Fevicol SH.

Pride of the army: The 3 piece bracing design.

Attachments

• Game plan ;-).jpeg
    Game plan ;-).jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 58
Btw , does your circular saw come with a laser guide ? Make a small review on it. From the pic it looks like it has an aluminium base. The features looks too good to be true for that price.
It has a laser guide. The base plate has a fine sand texture finish on the top and smooth below. It looks like it's powder coated. It seemed good VFM for a 1500W unit and the external build quality. Do not have knowledge nor the info to judge the internal components that do the actual work. Hopefully they're as good as the external build quality.

Recommendations needed for 7 1/4 inch circular saw blades
1. 24 tooth blade to rip cut wood
2. 60 tooth TCG(triple chip grind) blade to cut MDF

Candidates
Makita 7 inch / 185 mm TCT Saw Blade For Wood (24 Teeth) - Rs 444
Makita 7 inch / 185 mm TCT Saw Blade For Multi-Material (60 Teeth) - Rs 1009

Are these the best value for money or are there other options from other or Indian manufacturers that give you good quality at a lower price?

Recommendations needed for 7 1/4 inch circular saw blades
1. 24 tooth blade to rip cut wood
2. 60 tooth TCG(triple chip grind) blade to cut MDF

Candidates
Makita 7 inch / 185 mm TCT Saw Blade For Wood (24 Teeth) - Rs 444
Makita 7 inch / 185 mm TCT Saw Blade For Multi-Material (60 Teeth) - Rs 1009

Are these the best value for money or are there other options from other or Indian manufacturers that give you good quality at a lower price?
With terms of quality these blades from Makita will not let you down. Go for it with your eyes closed. The 24 teeth will have a rough cut as it is intended for fast work where as 60 teeth is little slow but it will give u smooth finish on cuts.

The 24 teeth will have a rough cut as it is intended for fast work......
If I don't need to do fast rip cuts and the priority is a smooth cut, would it be better to go for a 40 teeth ATB blade or is it best to stick to a 24 teeth blade for rip cuts?

Using a drill machine for the first time. Watched a few videos and a couple of practice holes and voila, ready to go.......
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-05 at 9.47.19 AM (1).jpeg
Pro tip: Use straight screws for MDF and choose the diameter of the drill bit that is equal to the diameter of the screw shaft. Here is a short video that explains this -

Inside of back panel speaker wire hole sealed with black silicon sealant. To hold the speaker wire straight, top part of wire secured with paper tape and bottom with a combo of cardboard, paper tape, binding wire and my nieces play dough
1f606.png

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-05 at 9.47.17 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-05 at 9.47.18 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-05 at 9.47.19 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back