First DIY... DAC V5 1.9

atharva

I've been playing the DAC 5 V1.9 WM8741+WM8804+TE7022 (pre-assembled) for a week now.

Sound quality:
1. Certainly improved SQ but the degree differed with each listener
2. Much much better bass via the DAC but slightly "boomy", not "tight". May be a speaker issue.

Setup:
I used a combo to do a quick "blind" comparison.
1. Media streamer --> NAD C352 + Tannoy F4 (Built-in DAC is prob average)
2. DVD Player (digital coax) --> Dac --> NAD C352 + Tannoy F4
Played MP3/FLAC via streamer and original CDs via the DVD player. Played same songs simultaneously via both and just switched the inputs on the amp via remote for the blind test.

Issues:
1. I get a loud pop when I switch on the DAC. I've seen some "timing circuits" posted to avoid this. Is there a easier way to avoid/minimize this?
2. When switching songs on the streamer I can hear a kind of electrostatic discharge from the speakers.
3. Once in a while (1-2 times during a movie) I suddenly get some loud crackling sound where I can see the speaker cone practically jump out.

Have written to Weiliang about this and he is looking into it.

Conclusion:
I'm keeping the DAC plugged in. It could do better but I couldn't find any "mods". Just for kicks I'm ordering the Subbu DAC V3 which claims to better 1000-2000 Euro DACs. It is also possible that I've peaked on the performance of my amp+speaker.

Many have said that the amp is decent and I could get significant gains with a better speaker. Possibly my next DIY :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back