First Turntable at 30k, Buying Help required.

So I guess ur nad amp doesn't have an inbuilt phono? What I was trying to say is, have you made a comparison between the nad phono and the Rega phono?

yes, Nad doesn't have a phono input.
Rega is better than onkyo Integra inbuilt phono.

Just out of curiosity, will the phono stage make a huge difference? I compared my Marantz amplifier phono input and Nad pp3 phono pre-amp and though the Nad has much better sonics, I see no difference in surface noise between the two.

Partly adding a separate external phono with its own power supply will be better than the one on the integrated, similar to external DAC I think, provided both are in the same league.

Just cos it's new vinyl, does not mean there might not be pops and clicks.Could be a defective/poor pressing(dust on the stampers pressed into the vinyl or bad handling of the record during packaging at the pressing plants).Lots of complaints on the Steve Hoffman forums regarding the bad quality of new vinyl.The only option here is to return the record.

If its just dust/dirt,repeated wet cleanings(brush is a must) will fix it. I don't even use record cleaning fluid, just bottled water and have got great results.

Thanks a lot, I was planning to use surgical spirit. Will dilute with water and check it.
The vinyl is from a group buy of ARR on hifivision, some people have issues with it. Hopefully I will check again and see if the issue is resolved.

The amount of surface noise and tick and pops produced in a playback chain depends very much on the choice of cartridge and phono preamp. I've observed that even choice of tonearm can affect it!

Some are better than others at suppressing them.

I recently dug out my Shure V15 III cartridge from storage. I find that it produces more ticks and pops than the earlier cartridge (Denon DL 160).

But a brand new record ought to be fairly quiet, though I have had experience of some brand new records producing mild ticks and pops (example Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker LP which I bought new just last week).

Try brushing the record with an anti static brush before playing. Also clean the stylus with stylus cleaning fluid or gel or isopropyl alcohol.

I got 4 LPs of ARR hits, they are sounding very good with out clicks and pops i am very happy of of that group buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do post some pics of your setup.
Also, your budget was 30K. How much did you end up spending.

44k including the Phono stage.
Pics available on the AV purchases thread

The amount of surface noise and tick and pops produced in a playback chain depends very much on the choice of cartridge and phono preamp. I've observed that even choice of tonearm can affect it!

Some are better than others at suppressing them.

I recently dug out my Shure V15 III cartridge from storage. I find that it produces more ticks and pops than the earlier cartridge (Denon DL 160).

But a brand new record ought to be fairly quiet, though I have had experience of some brand new records producing mild ticks and pops (example Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker LP which I bought new just last week).

Try brushing the record with an anti static brush before playing. Also clean the stylus with stylus cleaning fluid or gel or isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks for the good info, I'll get the stylus cleaning fluid, any recommendations?

Even I expected the same from a brand new record. But the clicks are quite annoying. Even after cleaning many times its the same. I've ordered one more LP from Amazon India let me see.

I got 4 LPs of ARR hits, they are sounding very good with out clicks and pops i am very happy of of that group buy

Yes many of the people are happy with it. The clicks seems to be increasing slowly. Don't know, any other ideas?

44k including the Phono stage.
Pics available on the AV purchases thread

Thanks for the good info, I'll get the stylus cleaning fluid, any recommendations?

Even I expected the same from a brand new record. But the clicks are quite annoying. Even after cleaning many times its the same. I've ordered one more LP from Amazon India let me see.

Yes many of the people are happy with it. The clicks seems to be increasing slowly. Don't know, any other ideas?

I use this instead of stylus cleaning fluid.Amazing product. https://www.amazon.com/ONZOW-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2

It seems like I figured out the issue.
The RP1 with performance pack came with wool mat, some wool fibers are clinging on to record and associated static electricity is causing the pops. This happens with each time side is changed, spoke with the dealer.

The washing and drying of the mat did the trick and clicks and pops reduced to a major extent.
They're still there, especially between the songs but less annoying anyway. I should change to a rubber mat any suggestions are welcome...

I visited Bangalore and got some good vinyls from grand father's collection both 331/3 & 45 around 50 each, mostly old hindi bollywood and Hindustani classical stuff.[emoji16]

f7f47e2fcac229ed31df37f13a38569d.jpg

I got the Tuner Amp Philips AH718, which is working I guess, but unable to figure out how to connect my Boston Acoustics BA26. The speakers out- post is kinda vintage which I've not encountered earlier. Any help from FMs would be great.

577fc788fd4319e4235f0d4f054f14ce.jpg

9333832c323fd9ea0a37b5d061b2dd63.jpg

I listened few Vinyl setup at Bangalore though the clicks and pops may not be there but some amount of noise seems inevitable. Which is kind of annoying for me, thinking of mostly selling the setup instead.[emoji17][emoji17]

9333832c323fd9ea0a37b5d061b2dd63.jpg

I listened few Vinyl setup at Bangalore though the clicks and pops may not be there but some amount of noise seems inevitable. Which is kind of annoying for me, thinking of mostly selling the setup instead.[emoji17][emoji17]

Those a Philips speaker sockets. You'll have to get yourself a pair of these to wire your current speakers to this amp.

102494d1210588265-source-vintage-blau-speaker-plugs-two-pin-din-plug.jpg

b%26o%20jacks%20.jpg

These were quite common when Philips dominated the Indian market with Hi-Fi, in the 1970s and early 1980s. If you go to older electronics component shops and ask for Philips Speaker plugs, they may have stock.

Regarding ticks and pops, perfection can be obtained only if you have ideal conditions like dust free storage, anti-static environments, etc, etc. Ticks and pops are viewed by many purists as the hall mark of the true vinyl experience.

Last edited:
Back