First Turntable at 30k, Buying Help required.

drkrack

Last few months with a renewed interest in vinyl listening I was contemplating on buying my first vinyl setup. Had been listening to cassettes for long and made a switch to Cds in last few years. I've been reasonably happy with the digital music but still the lingering for analog audio, which predominated during the time when we fell in love with music keeps haunting. Want to give a decent attempt at listening to vinyl, so is the thread.

Budget : 30k can be extended, I know the suggestion would be towards a cheaper ones since I am testing the waters but, I want to give a decent budget equalling my digital setup.

Used /New : Inclined towards buying new or relatively unused TT, because getting a well cared vintage TT seems to be a daunting task. It becomes easier to troubleshoot as well. Suggestions and Offers welcome

TT : user friendly, remote controlled, auto stop, plug and play type but I know, they aren't available with audiophile rated ones but still worth a point in favour if they have it.

Phono : built in isn't a must , as I have Phono inputs on my Onkyo Integra 8470, have a cheap tube preamp as well.

Music: bollywood, ARR, Hindustani classical, Soft rock numbers etc.
I love the vocals and midrange with adequate details

Speakers : Tannoy revolution dc6, may consider other bookshelf speakers later

Other features : Easily upgradeable, decent value in used market, don't need 78rpm compatibility, don't need DJ features, good cartridge, should be aesthetically pleasing

Audition : it'd be great if available in Hyderabad, serviceability at Hyderabad would be great too.

Models I'm considering : Project debut Carbon 2M cartridge, Rega Planar 1, Audio technica lp120, denon 300f, Thorens TD 158 etc
I can get from Germany and US if required.

So kindly help me with the possible suggestions from experienced FMs and offers if someone wants to sell any, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in your shoes 2 months back with same budget when I visited the US.
I tried a few turn tables at Amoeba Music with my own HiFiMan HE-400i headphones. AT LP60, LP120, TEAC, Rega, ProJect.
Personally I could not differentiate in SQ between TTs from $100 to $700 but the features, build improvements were obvious.
So I settled for the LP60 and I'm happy with them for the past 2 months.
LP60-> Schiit Vali2-> HiFiMan HE-400i.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

...Budget : 30k... user friendly, remote controlled..

Whoa there! please do curb your expectations here. if you want plug and play, get a cd or an mp3 player. People get into vinyl for the expense and inconvenience. If you try to skip that, your setup will sound like crap due to the lack of cognitive dissonance!

On a more serious note, if you can source from abroad, do look at the used options there, especially if your contact is knowledgeable enough and willing to pick up the item from local classifieds etc

Whoa there! please do curb your expectations here. if you want plug and play, get a cd or an mp3 player. People get into vinyl for the expense and inconvenience. If you try to skip that, your setup will sound like crap due to the lack of cognitive dissonance!

On a more serious note, if you can source from abroad, do look at the used options there, especially if your contact is knowledgeable enough and willing to pick up the item from local classifieds etc
Thanks for the reply, have been weighing the pros and cons for over 7 months now, I'm well aware of the issues involved and do not mind the hassle of maintaining a vinyl setup. Those are mentioned as not a must requirements.

My source from abroad aren't knowledgeable enough to deal with the intricacies of buying used hifi gear, they'll just transfer it from point A to B. So that is not possible.
Should I consider getting used hifi if they're willing to ship it to India? Is PayPal safe in such cases or stick to eBay etc?

Any specific models which you can suggest? Or any experiences with the shortlisted models?

shipping used from abroad is a strict no no- customs will give you hell
If you are willing to take a bit of a risk, buy a used turntable that has what you are looking for ( my recommend would be a semi auto tt from a japanese mfr, from a seller who has good ratings and feedback , specifically for shipping TT's ) and ask them to pack it well (pay extra for good packaging) and send it to your contact who can then bring it here in person in the same packaging

Thanks for the reply, have been weighing the pros and cons for over 7 months now, I'm well aware of the issues involved and do not mind the hassle of maintaining a vinyl setup. Those are mentioned as not a must requirements.

My source from abroad aren't knowledgeable enough to deal with the intricacies of buying used hifi gear, they'll just transfer it from point A to B. So that is not possible.
Should I consider getting used hifi if they're willing to ship it to India? Is PayPal safe in such cases or stick to eBay etc?

Any specific models which you can suggest? Or any experiences with the shortlisted models?
Get the AT LP120

shipping used from abroad is a strict no no- customs will give you hell
If you are willing to take a bit of a risk, buy a used turntable that has what you are looking for ( my recommend would be a semi auto tt from a japanese mfr, from a seller who has good ratings and feedback , specifically for shipping TT's ) and ask them to pack it well (pay extra for good packaging) and send it to your contact who can then bring it here in person in the same packaging
I'm not keen on getting a used TT as well, which of the new ones I should consider out of my shortlist ?

Project debut Carbon (2M cartridge)
Rega planar 1
Audio technica lp120
Dual TT 250
Thorens 158 / 170 etc

Or any other models I should be looking for at 30 - 35k budget?

In ur budget the Rega rp1 would be pretty good. So would the entry level projects.

I cannot with a clear conscience recommend a new TT at those prices when there is so much good stuff available used at much lower prices

but if you are planning to spend on a new tt, my picks would be the at lp 120 and the pioneer PLX500

dual and thorens are just rebadges, and i can't imagine paying so much for a belt drive :D

Last edited:
as another fm has correctly written, plug and play convenience is last thing to look for in a good turntable. still if you want convenience then look at the marantz/denon entry models which are fully automatic and have built in phono pre. just put record on platter, select speed(33/45) and press play. starts and stops automatically. that is closest to remote operation turntable you will get in new.

out of options you have selected, project, rega & thorens are available in india. the other 2 you will have to get from abroad. project model is best from selection but not available in 30-35k price bracket.

btw, do you have phono pre with you? pls consider looking for one as well.

@jayaraa,

There are three models of pro-ject and one model of Rega available on the website I have mentioned. All starting from 24k to 32k.

@drkrack,

Vinyl is an expensive hobby. I strongly suggest you to invest in a good TT in the range of about 30k. From personal experience. I started with a Philips 242 which turned out to be absolute rubbish. Very soon I wanted a better TT. If u r serious about collecting records then spend a good deal on a new TT. Otherwise u will find yourself running around for belts wires and screws. If u r just looking for some experimenting, buy a cheap second hand TT.

It won't come in 30K (more like 45K without cartridge) but a brand new Pioneer PLX1000 is available in the country through Riviera.

Get the AT LP120

Got it as one of the top most in the shortlist and Indian voltage compatibility even if bought from US, its a direct drive and don't actually need the DJ features plus there's no service for AT in India

Got it as one of the top most in the shortlist and Indian voltage compatibility even if bought from US, its a direct drive and don't actually need the DJ features plus there's no service for AT in India
I'm using a step down converter with my LP60. No problems so far. Have used it for 2 hours continuously.

About warranty I don't think I have successfully claimed/persuaded/won warranty for any electronic in the past 15 years of using them. Also my brother has been using an LP120 for 2 years without a problem.

I think you are putting too much thought into this purchase. Magnifying every con just to push the purchase.
But you could be listening to sweet vinyl sound right now so just go for it.

@jayaraa,

There are three models of pro-ject and one model of Rega available on the website I have mentioned. All starting from 24k to 32k.

the specific project model with cartridge that op asked for is not in the website.

Last edited:
I cannot with a clear conscience recommend a new TT at those prices when there is so much good stuff available used at much lower prices

but if you are planning to spend on a new tt, my picks would be the at lp 120 and the pioneer PLX500

dual and thorens are just rebadges, and i can't imagine paying so much for a belt drive :D

Ok Thorens and Dual Out , Makes it easier, Pioneer PLX 500 seems to be loaded with DJ features as well, luckily pioneer india warranty would be great and in budget. One more Vote for ATLP120

Thanks for the concern , but getting a good used TT and troubleshooting it for newbie spoilt with user-friendliness of digital music isn't appropriate IMHO.

as another fm has correctly written, plug and play convenience is last thing to look for in a good turntable. still if you want convenience then look at the marantz/denon entry models which are fully automatic and have built in phono pre. just put record on platter, select speed(33/45) and press play. starts and stops automatically. that is closest to remote operation turntable you will get in new.

out of options you have selected, project, rega & thorens are available in india. the other 2 you will have to get from abroad. project model is best from selection but not available in 30-35k price bracket.

btw, do you have phono pre with you? pls consider looking for one as well.

So if budget can be extended, You'd Vote for the Projct DC2M, or some other ?
I am pretty impressed by the color options and the beauty of TT from project DC as well , I am looking for good deals on it as well.

Don't bother about the user friendly feature list I am very well aware that, they may not be available so pretty Ok with Lack of those features, I need a best sounding one in my budget.

I have a relatively Old amp with Phono inputs so in built phono isn't a must , mentioned in OP.

@jayaraa,

@drkrack,

Vinyl is an expensive hobby. I strongly suggest you to invest in a good TT in the range of about 30k. From personal experience. I started with a Philips 242 which turned out to be absolute rubbish. Very soon I wanted a better TT. If u r serious about collecting records then spend a good deal on a new TT. Otherwise u will find yourself running around for belts wires and screws. If u r just looking for some experimenting, buy a cheap second hand TT.

I know very well about the Rabbit Hole I am entering into; that is why I have been researching on it for over 7 months now, so the budget i have allocated is in accordance with that.
You got my thinking right, there is no point buying a cheap TT and landing into hassles of repairs and dropping the listening altogether - doesn't make sense at least in my way, so go full throttle in your speed limits and give it 100% , if it doesn't work out accept it and move on. thanks for the concern and wise words.

any experience with buying from Revolver Club ? also RP1 is a bit older model to be replaced with Planar 1 so I'd rather think of getting the latter.

It won't come in 30K (more like 45K without cartridge) but a brand new Pioneer PLX1000 is available in the country through Riviera.

any links please any local audition possibility in Hyderabad which you can suggest , even if its a home audition it doesn't matter.

I'm using a step down converter with my LP60. No problems so far. Have used it for 2 hours continuously.

About warranty I don't think I have successfully claimed/persuaded/won warranty for any electronic in the past 15 years of using them. Also my brother has been using an LP120 for 2 years without a problem.

I think you are putting too much thought into this purchase. Magnifying every con just to push the purchase.
But you could be listening to sweet vinyl sound right now so just go for it.

I have used a decent MX step-down earlier and my experience isn't good with them. It is always better to have have a service handy when you aren't well versed with the equipment .

ATLP60 was one of the choices but lack of further upgradability was a concern. I'll pick ATLP120 if other options don't work out.

Yes, I am making informed choice, it will take time , doesn't matter. no impulse purchase that is it.

thanks everyone for chipping in.

Last edited:
So if budget can be extended, You'd Vote for the Projct DC2M, or some other ?
I am pretty impressed by the color options and the beauty of TT from project DC as well , I am looking for good deals on it as well.

Don't bother about the user friendly feature list I am very well aware that, they may not be available so pretty Ok with Lack of those features, I need a best sounding one in my budget.

I have a relatively Old amp with Phono inputs so in built phono isn't a must , mentioned in OP.

any links please any local audition possibility in Hyderabad which you can suggest , even if its a home audition it doesn't matter.

thanks everyone for chipping in.

besides this model you can look at s shape
Pro-Ject Audio Systems

but doubt you will get any demo of the same. old phono might be bad idea due to dry solder issues, pls get the phono stage checked/ serviced as it should not be the bottleneck of you enjoying your music on vinyl format.

btw pionner plx1000 retail price is 57990/-, wonder where another fm got price of 45k from? also no info on what cart it comes with?

Revolverclub is a well known company. I have personally bought from them. They are based in mumbai and lots of mumbai users have bought records and TTs from them. They have a store in mumbai as well.

besides this model you can look at s shape

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

but doubt you will get any demo of the same. old phono might be bad idea due to dry solder issues, pls get the phono stage checked/ serviced as it should not be the bottleneck of you enjoying your music on vinyl format.

btw pionner plx1000 retail price is 57990/-, wonder where another fm got price of 45k from? also no info on what cart it comes with?

Yeah that S shape looks amazing, I don't think it'll have any audible advantage for extra 200euro. Getting a project debut Carbon 2M from Germany by someone coming seems a good idea, it'll be within the budget then. I'll keep checking for it.

Plx 500 seems a good competition to Audio technica lp120, which one out of two ? Can you pm the id of FM who got plx 1000 at 45k? I'll check with his source.

Revolverclub is a well known company. I have personally bought from them. They are based in mumbai and lots of mumbai users have bought records and TTs from them. They have a store in mumbai as well.

OK its safe to buy from them, I'll call them up if the difference isn't great compared to getting from abroad.
Thanks.

Updated List

Project debut Carbon
Rega planar 1
Audio technica lp120
Pioneer plx 500
Denon 300f

Opening a controversial topic : direct drive vs belt drive? From purely audiophile point of view?

Yeah that S shape looks amazing, I don't think it'll have any audible advantage for extra 200euro. Getting a project debut Carbon 2M from Germany by someone coming seems a good idea, it'll be within the budget then. I'll keep checking for it.

Plx 500 seems a good competition to Audio technica lp120, which one out of two ? Can you pm the id of FM who got plx 1000 at 45k? I'll check with his source.

OK its safe to buy from them, I'll call them up if the difference isn't great compared to getting from abroad.
Thanks.

Updated List

Project debut Carbon
Rega planar 1
Audio technica lp120
Pioneer plx 500
Denon 300f

Opening a controversial topic : direct drive vs belt drive? From purely audiophile point of view?

There is a pioneer a20 foe sale on the forum... Take a look

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back