First Turntable at 30k, Buying Help required.

I listened few Vinyl setup at Bangalore though the clicks and pops may not be there but some amount of noise seems inevitable. Which is kind of annoying for me, thinking of mostly selling the setup instead.[emoji17][emoji17]

Look if you go Vinyl, some amount of clicks and pops you will have to live with. Apart from money, as I have realised at my expense, Vinyl and TTs demand your time. Cleaning records constantly, keeping them well, cleaning the stylus, etc., etc. But once you get used to this analog sound, its how music should be. Some of the members here have given you excellent suggestions like Onzow for stylus cleaner, et al. You could also buy a cheap record cleaner which I have and it is pretty good but demanding on your time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045ZEU52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Here's the instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaUKsA_yytA You could also get a pack of 20 or 50 of anti-static sleeves. These will preserve the records for longer and reduce the number of times you might have to clean the records. Stick in there and you will not regret it. You can always lapse back to the digital howl of the world anytime, but this is when you want to be a subtle and happy.

Clean the records you play. It's critical, not just important. Despite cleaning you'll still get some hiss or pops/ticks. It's in the nature of the storage medium.

Clean your stylus regularly. The first sign of a dirty stylus is a distorted midrange.

Vinyl playback demands the above rituals at the minimum. To optimise the sound, one needs to learn some setup basics. There is a modern parallel in computer playback. Nothing about computer playback is straightforward!

Besides time spent on above, we must also accept the inflated cost of records nowadays.

Last edited:
Those a Philips speaker sockets. You'll have to get yourself a pair of these to wire your current speakers to this amp.

102494d1210588265-source-vintage-blau-speaker-plugs-two-pin-din-plug.jpg

b%26o%20jacks%20.jpg

These were quite common when Philips dominated the Indian market with Hi-Fi, in the 1970s and early 1980s. If you go to older electronics component shops and ask for Philips Speaker plugs, they may have stock.

Regarding ticks and pops, perfection can be obtained only if you have ideal conditions like dust free storage, anti-static environments, etc, etc. Ticks and pops are viewed by many purists as the hall mark of the true vinyl experience.
Thanks, these are the ones that I should be looking for, on EBAY cost is 1.4k! Better to source locally, I'll try to get it. Any DIY possible as they look to be simple.

I understand that, The perfect setup should be devoid of such artifacts and researching a lot on how to get the best from my current system, let me see.
Look if you go Vinyl, some amount of clicks and pops you will have to live with. Apart from money, as I have realised at my expense, Vinyl and TTs demand your time. Cleaning records constantly, keeping them well, cleaning the stylus, etc., etc. But once you get used to this analog sound, its how music should be. Some of the members here have given you excellent suggestions like Onzow for stylus cleaner, et al. You could also buy a cheap record cleaner which I have and it is pretty good but demanding on your time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045ZEU52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Here's the instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaUKsA_yytA You could also get a pack of 20 or 50 of anti-static sleeves. These will preserve the records for longer and reduce the number of times you might have to clean the records. Stick in there and you will not regret it. You can always lapse back to the digital howl of the world anytime, but this is when you want to be a subtle and happy.
The cleaning equipment looks cool but quite expensive IMHO. The clicks and pops are pretty less but some faint background noise seems inevitable. The analog sound is quite attractive but such minute disturbances affect me as a critical listener.
Clean the records you play. It's critical, not just important. Despite cleaning you'll still get some hiss or pops/ticks. It's in the nature of the storage medium.

Clean your stylus regularly. The first sign of a dirty stylus is a distorted midrange.

Vinyl playback demands the above rituals at the minimum. To optimise the sound, one needs to learn some setup basics. There is a modern parallel in computer playback. Nothing about computer playback is straightforward!

Besides time spent on above, we must also accept the inflated cost of records nowadays.
Yeah I've been cleaning every time and vacuuming more often, but it is annoying to a perfectionist in me.
For oldies it doesn't matter, actually I love to hear old bollywood numbers on vinyl as opposed to anything else. Probably this is how I listened to them as a teenager & memory of the similar sound signature makes it a very attractive experience. Other than that, my CDs transport with Gungnir is what I prefer, especially for newer songs etc.

I got a Philips 242 TT from Grandfather as well, apart from the Ah 718 tuner amp, so that should suffice my Vinyl needs. Planning to sell the recently acquired Rega RP1 performance pack and Rega Phono A2d and instead invest on better pair of Bookshelf speakers.

The Philips speaker plugs cost about 10 bucks each at local electronics stores in Trivandrum. I purchased a couple of these a few months ago, while restoring an old Holland Philips amplifier. Will run a check this weekend and pick up a couple for you, if they are still available. Will also look up by junk box, may have a few old spares, there.

In all honesty, the 242 is a very sad TT, u will never get it to run like ur Rega. Upgrades will not happen too. It's not worth it at all. Keep the Rega, it's a nice TT. Sell the 242 for about 4 or 5 k. That's what they are worth at the max.

I should change to a rubber mat any suggestions are welcome...

Can you try a quality pressing of 180gm records or from labels like Speaker Corner? The only way those click and pops can annoy you is from a bad or old, poorly cared for pressing. It is not necessary that a new issue is free from click and pops too. It all depends on the quality of pressing. I purchased a "Best of Dire Straits" album from flipkart and it was so bad that I returned it but then who knew the replacement would also be the same. It was a 180gm vinyl too so it is no guarantee that a heavier pressing is better.

We must talk about the player too. I have a Rega RP1 and it is a great player at its price point or as a starter turntable. I do not have the problems you talk about (especially the clicks & pops) and this is the standard edition. I did get a Bias 2 cart but have not got to fixing it. If you start listening to more expensive turntables, you notice how dead silent they can be.

I doubt if the wool mat has anything to do with aggravating the clicks and pops. A company like Rega won't risk selling a turntable with a wool mat knowing that it could cause potential problems. It could also be a case of static transfer to the record while handling. Certain fabrics can cause this.

Last edited:
The Philips speaker plugs cost about 10 bucks each at local electronics stores in Trivandrum. I purchased a couple of these a few months ago, while restoring an old Holland Philips amplifier. Will run a check this weekend and pick up a couple for you, if they are still available. Will also look up by junk box, may have a few old spares, there.

There's Whole Lane in Hyderabad called as Gujarati Galli, Unfortunately nobody has it, They suggested me to go DIY for it, If you can source them locally it'd be great help for me. Otherwise can we add a regular speaker binding posts by opening a cabinet ? shouldn't that be possible ?

In all honesty, the 242 is a very sad TT, u will never get it to run like ur Rega. Upgrades will not happen too. It's not worth it at all. Keep the Rega, it's a nice TT. Sell the 242 for about 4 or 5 k. That's what they are worth at the max.

I have heard 242 earlier, also this 242 is not working & needs some repairs, I haven't decided as of yet. I will see for few more days before concluding my Vinyl journey.

Can you try a quality pressing of 180gm records or from labels like Speaker Corner? The only way those click and pops can annoy you is from a bad or old, poorly cared for pressing. It is not necessary that a new issue is free from click and pops too. It all depends on the quality of pressing. I purchased a "Best of Dire Straits" album from flipkart and it was so bad that I returned it but then who knew the replacement would also be the same. It was a 180gm vinyl too so it is no guarantee that a heavier pressing is better.

We must talk about the player too. I have a Rega RP1 and it is a great player at its price point or as a starter turntable. I do not have the problems you talk about (especially the clicks & pops) and this is the standard edition. I did get a Bias 2 cart but have not got to fixing it. If you start listening to more expensive turntables, you notice how dead silent they can be.

I doubt if the wool mat has anything to do with aggravating the clicks and pops. A company like Rega won't risk selling a turntable with a wool mat knowing that it could cause potential problems. It could also be a case of static transfer to the record while handling. Certain fabrics can cause this.

Thanks that's pretty encouraging words. That is what I love about this Forum, someone is always there to backup. I have listened to few from technics, Bush, Project and Audio Technica they were having some amount of noise but not necessarily Clicks and Pops. I have ordered for the cleaning solution & a New Static brush as well for cleaning. Need to check with 180 gm Vinyls as well, I have ordered a few new records and Bhatt Record as well, let me see.

will it be because of speaker vibrations ? Building a heavy Plinth would help reducing them?
RP1 is rated well otherwise and the wool may not be an issue. but washing it helped a lot. Will keep everyone updated.

I have project debut 2 with Nad pp1 Phono preamplifier. If you want plz call me

I have already got one, might be selling a combo myself if it doesn't suit me;)

There's Whole Lane in Hyderabad called as Gujarati Galli, Unfortunately nobody has it, They suggested me to go DIY for it, If you can source them locally it'd be great help for me. Otherwise can we add a regular speaker binding posts by opening a cabinet ? shouldn't that be possible ?
;)

MX MDR ELECTRONICS & MX ELECTRONICS & HDMI & CCTV CAMERA & DVR & SDI ACCESSORIES & VGA ; DVI & APPLE ACCESSORIES & CABLES & CONNECTORS & HOME THEATER CABLES & PRO-AUDIO / STUDIO ACCESSORIES & FIBER OPTICS & CABLE MANAGEMENT & CABLE ORGANISER & VIDEO
You can try the above, there is MX exclusive showroom in Gujarati lane.
Thanks
Raghu

Drkrack, the Rahman lp should play dead quiet. I am really surprised you're hearing pops and crackles on that lp. I have nearly 1000 vinyls and at most only 25 of them may have the odd crackle or pop. I bought those 25 aware of the quality. The rest of them play very quiet.

I have been into digital for more than two decades. I too don't like pops and crackles. I suggest have some forum expert set up your vinyl set up. I guess the problem is with the set up

Need to check with 180 gm Vinyls as well, I have ordered a few new records and Bhatt Record as well, let me see. will it be because of speaker vibrations ? Building a heavy Plinth would help reducing them?

Once again, a 180gm vinyl isn't a guarantee that a record is good. You need to look for the company that stamped the record. This makes a big difference.

Speakers must be kept as far away as possible from the turntable. Off course, not to the extent that it is outside of your ideal listening position.

I am not sure if it is worth pursuing a heavy plinth on something as basic as an RP1.

90% of my record collection is what I inherited from my folks, are almost 4 decades old, none of them are high quality pressings and they sound great even today. Off course, they have been well cared for.

I'd start with the vinyl first before fiddling with the turntable.

Last edited:
Once again, a 180gm vinyl isn't a guarantee that a record is good. You need to look for the company that stamped the record. This makes a big difference.

Speakers must be kept as far away as possible from the turntable. Off course, not to the extent that it is outside of your ideal listening position.

I am not sure if it is worth pursuing a heavy plinth on something as basic as an RP1.

90% of my record collection is what I inherited from my folks, are almost 4 decades old, none of them are high quality pressings and they sound great even today. Off course, they have been well cared for.

I'd start with the vinyl first before fiddling with the turntable.

Thanks a lot for a detailed advice, I thank other FMs as well, your suggestions are much appreciated.

I had a option of buying some Vinyl from a FM in Hyderabad, took my RP1 along to see if the issues can be sorted out. The clicks and pops seems to be much less and some amount will be there to be adjusted with. Even the FMs setup had few occasional clicks and pops but was bearable.

The RP1 was setup again as per Manfacturer recommended settings and its pretty good as of now. I guess complete synergy is required to achieve a totally noiseless system. I'd be keeping the RP1 as of now and will collect some more LPs for this endeavour to get interesting further. So far so good, let me see.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back