Floorstanders Dynaudio Audience vs Monitor Audio Silver

gopi

Hi,

I would like to know which one of these works better in my condition.

Genre: All rounder kind of music - I listen from Classic Rock to Pop to Dance numbers.

Room: 12 feet * 20 feet

Models considering:

Monitor Audio RS6
Dynaudio Audience 122
Dynaudio Audience 72

Yet to buy and Amp but will mostly be : NAD C352 or used Rotel amp

Your thoughts please.

The dynaudios are better speakers especially the audience 72. But you will need more power than the c352 to drive them. You will need a rotel/nad power amp along with some preamp.

I personally like the Acoustic portrait MS 301 better than the audience 72.

square_wave, thanx for the response. where can i listen to acoustic portrait in bangalore. Also, how about 122? I am afraid if the bass won't be good enough.

Gopi,

I use Monitor Audio RS6 with NAD C372 in a room slightly smaller than yours. I am extremely happy with the warm and full bodied, but detailed sound. But the catch here is that I do not listen to your kind of music. This setup works well for Jazz, Ghazals and Hindustani Classical music. It excels in reproducing the human voice and timber of acoustic instruments. It would be difficult for NAD to provide the tight bass you would need for the dance music, as it has a low damping factor. Most of the pop/dance music is synthetic and had no 'timber' in the first place.

You can consider rotel power amp with American sounding speakers.

Thanks,
Sharad

Acoustic portrait.
Acoustic Portrait
Contact mail.
[email protected]
Again the MS-301 excels in reproducing the natural tone and timber of music.
I listen to western classical and Jazz mostly.The drivers are from Vifa denmark. Excellent workmanship.

I have not heard the audience 122.

Hi

Dynaudio Audience 72 is a very good speaker if coupled with the right amplifier , since its 4 ohms rating you need more powerful amplifier to drive them . if the matching is good then they are the best speakers in that price category. I have auditioned the Audience 52 with my power pre from Audiolab , but didnt sound that good. it lacked the depth and the power wasnt enough to drive the Audience 52.

tharun

Hi,

Genre: All rounder kind of music - I listen from Classic Rock to Pop to Dance numbers.

Models considering:

Monitor Audio RS6
Dynaudio Audience 122
Dynaudio Audience 72

Your thoughts please.

Hi,
What rotel integrated are u thinking about? If its the Ra 1070 fine but if its something like the RA 04/05 u better think again. Impressive at first listen but really painful if u own one.And if its the 1070 i think there are many options at that (75K plus) price point.
Actually both these and the Nad C352 are what HIFI class champs and sadly they are mediocre at best.Sharad mentioned the low damping factors. Actually most budget integrateds (except Rotel) will have a low damping factor(150/200)
Look at a better amp. Money well spent. Arcam is a good neutral amplifier.Little more expensive but much better than the usual made in china components.
As for Speakers both the dyna 72 and the MA RS 6 are good in different ways. Didnt know of an Audience 122 so cant comment.
Regards

The Audience 72 is much more neutral than the RS6 and a significantly better speaker. Though I love monitor audio, the Dyn is in a completely different class. However you need atleast 150W of power to make it sing.

thanks a lot for the reply guys. The Rotel are the stereoblock RB 980BX 120W and 360W if bridged. My music are mostly filmi and i found that my listening habits are not like the normal folks :) I don't sit in one chair and listen. Its more like a hall filling sound that needs to keep my toe tapping and if possible make me dance :) I find bookshelves no matter what the missing lower registers are making me feel that i am missing something. But, all this with as much truth as possible. i can spot any anamolies pretty easily. i am not sure if I am able to communicate clearly.

Excite is actually quite costlier. Infact from the pricing looks to me that their entry level bookshelf itself will cost about 60 to 70k and the bigget bookshelf about 80k. So, Dyna's are getting even more costlier and there is a talk that they are targeted more for cinema , not sure though

thanks a lot for the reply guys. The Rotel are the stereoblock RB 980BX 120W and 360W if bridged. My music are mostly filmi and i found that my listening habits are not like the normal folks :) I don't sit in one chair and listen. Its more like a hall filling sound that needs to keep my toe tapping and if possible make me dance :) I find bookshelves no matter what the missing lower registers are making me feel that i am missing something. But, all this with as much truth as possible. i can spot any anamolies pretty easily. i am not sure if I am able to communicate clearly.

Hi gopi,
For speakers go with which ever (dyn or MA) u prefer of the two. Either is more than competent.
Now the rotel u mention is the older power amp if i am not mistaken and now replaced by the RB 1050/1070/1080 @ 70wpc/130wpc/200wpc respectively.
What Pre will u use? On paper the rotels have flattering specs but in actuality they can be a trifle too noisy(owned a few rotels in the last decade) so bridging them is my last option.But the 120W is at 8ohms and it will almost double into a 4 ohm load. Power wise u will be OK as rotels are true in claimed power output. If u like the tonality go for it as it will give u the power for most speakers.
The best Rotel combo is the RC 1082/RB 1080. Int prices for the combo are about 85K but here its almost double that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards

Hi,

Models considering:

Monitor Audio RS6
Dynaudio Audience 122
Dynaudio Audience 72

Your thoughts please.

Please consider Monitor Audio, RS8 would be better for your room size, i am using the same. There will be other brands also which are better, but i have not experienced them.

There is one more member who is having RS6 or RS8, he wants to sell it, which is in a good condition, and you can see the pictures also, he is selling because he wants to move to a smaller room.

Vinay.

Vinay: I have given up on trying to use the smaller room for AV. I am combining two rooms to make a nice big AV room :)

Well this is a breaking news, so it means you will have to catch a bigger budget, more aggressive planning, i think to do this work will take at least half a year, that is if you are planning to make a good theatre cum music room, which in turn shall mean that there will be no point in buying now the audio video equipments.

I am sure that a massive planning you will have to get into, which is going to be quite a tough task, please consider to share with members the game plan, and if you can call me over, i shall give you my inputs, but i tell you, that on table first there has to be a series of meetings, only then you can decide if you want to merge the rooms, because once you take the step forward, you can not reverse it, that reminds me the case of gangsters, you can join the gang, but can not leave it.

Vinay.

Deep Sea Fishing.

Vinay I believe his new speakers has already reached him... Usher Be-718

This is where the problem lies when the planning is not in order for a home theatre or a music room.

That makes me realize if the merging of two rooms takes place, then even the monitor audio which he is having will have a problem, or should i say that his full audio video gear could come under massive damage, because of the simple reason, that each set of gear is meant for a particular size of the room, and not to forget there will be queue of other related problems too.

That is why i always say that a lot of planning, etc is required to do this job, otherwise we could be somewhere in the middle of the sea, on a small boat, waiting to see if the sharks arrive first or the chopper arrives first to rescue.

That is a another story that the sharks would have got you first, and even if one is rescued, see the amount of damage done.

At the end of the day i have seen what i have gone through to achieve my mini theatre, i do not want others to go through, so that is why i am always there with the red flag, if i see something is going wrong.

Vinay.

hi guys, thanks for the replies. I think an audition yesterday has now changed
things for me. First the Quad 22L2 entered. It was for me instantaneously better than RS6. That warmth I needed combined with the energy and attack was there. The midrange I found to be better as well. Dyna's were nice. However, I wanted a bit more excitement to that composed neutral music. So, mostly I decided to go for the Quads. However, a Proac is now on sale and so, thats my next step for audition :) Will update my trials with more details later.

Re: Deep Sea Fishing.

This is where the problem lies when the planning is not in order for a home theatre or a music room.

That makes me realize if the merging of two rooms takes place, then even the monitor audio which he is having will have a problem, or should i say that his full audio video gear could come under massive damage, because of the simple reason, that each set of gear is meant for a particular size of the room, and not to forget there will be queue of other related problems too.

That is why i always say that a lot of planning, etc is required to do this job, otherwise we could be somewhere in the middle of the sea, on a small boat, waiting to see if the sharks arrive first or the chopper arrives first to rescue.

That is a another story that the sharks would have got you first, and even if one is rescued, see the amount of damage done.

At the end of the day i have seen what i have gone through to achieve my mini theatre, i do not want others to go through, so that is why i am always there with the red flag, if i see something is going wrong.

Vinay.

Not really... the speakers are killer. In fact they are in a completely different class compared to the Monitor Audio Silver and such entry level stuff. I have the same and they are filling up a 27ftx15ftx10ft room with very very good quality sound and pretty significant sound pressure levels. Good equipment will merge with any room seamlessly. Mediocre equipment is what will cause all the trouble.

As much as I appreciate the level of hard work and attention to detail you've put into your home theater Vinay, what surreallistix has... the Odyssey Stratos, Odyssey Candela, the Usher Speakers are in a completely different performance class compared to a Monitor Audio HT and Onkyo receiver and many of the issues with monitor audio will not be relevant with this kind of equipment. They might bring in their own load of issues but definitely none of the bigger problems of entry level stuff like boxiness, tonal coloration and the like.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back