For a complete newbie, recommend me headphones < 70K

This is getting really complicated.

An HD600 costs as much as HD660S, and is an 18 year old model, and is the preferred model in the HD6xx series. Sigh!

Now I am totally confused.

An HD600 costs as much as HD660S, and is an 18 year old model, and is the preferred model in the HD6xx series. Sigh!

I can understand your confusion. This arises when you spend more time reading reviews and opinions of others than personally trying them out. (I know that it is not feasible in the current situation). When it comes to music, there are a lot of subjective parameters and personal preferences. The music you listen to, the attributes that you prioritise and the ones you are willing to trade off (ex, harmonics, tonality, detail, soundstage, imaging, transparency, etc.), the budget, the paring equipment. With headphones/speakers this is more critical and you have to try it. There is no other way around.

HD600 is a tried and tested headphone; considered a classic. HD650 has carried on the legacy. I've personally had a HD650 for over eight years and it performs. If someone is clueless, I'd recommend them. This is hard to come by in the used market (as rarely someone wants to let it go). You may try some luck. If not, you may try one of the new versions such as Sennheiser 660S. The question is not which one to choose, but more about what is available to you.

Last edited:

Its understandable. 660 also is a higher number than 600 which compels one to believe it ought to be better. And how could a 18 year old driver better be a newly designed driver of 660. Think Gillette! In a boardroom, when they figured that they had given the men in the world the best double edged stainless steel razors and every man had one, and the money was in repeat customers but not for blades but for razors. So they designed and launched and marketed the disposable use and throw razors, a market that didn't exist. And then got us into twin blade, triple blade, 5 blades for a closer shave just to keep us chasing a rainbow when all you needed is one good blade in one good razor which was already there in the 50s. Look man..600/650 were once flagship for Sennheiser and 600 were the go to choice for every other audiophile, audio engineers for mixing. And then 700 came along and then 800 and then they took the drivers of 700 and put in 600 shell and tuned it to call it 660. I have owned 660 as well. Millions have owned the 600 series not due to hype. Get them, hear them and figure out whether they are your type of sound or not. If not, what would you like to change. They are very good in helping you with having a baseline of what good sound is all about and you can either call it end game or pursue your headphone journey. Very good and balanced starting point mate!

So, I am in NYC trying out different headphones.

Today I tried out Hifiman Sundara, Beyer 1990, 1770, HD 660S. None of them floated my boat.

Finally I tried the Focal Clear MG (a new version of Clear), loved it.

Tomorrow I will try Focal Clear vs HD 800s

So, I am in NYC trying out different headphones.

Today I tried out Hifiman Sundara, Beyer 1990, 1770, HD 660S. None of them floated my boat.

Finally I tried the Focal Clear MG (a new version of Clear), loved it.

Tomorrow I will try Focal Clear vs HD 800s
It's good that you are trying different headphones. Audition as many as you can get hold of; regardless of budget, type, reviews. You will find the one that clicks for you. Ideally you should have the amp you use but I can understand if that is not feasible.

Hifiman Sundara. It’s the best for price performance. And efficiency.

Though I agree if you are a bass head then maybe it may not be your choice.

PS: oh just read that you have already bought Focal Clear Mg. Enjoy.

Last edited:
@essrand you should really try the zmf auteurs.
I really wanted to, but even though they are manufactured in NYC-ish area, it was not possible to audition them. They have no actual dealers.
(I would have to buy, it would be shipped, then with a 14-day return policy, then ship back for refund if it didn't work, BAH! who has the time).

I really wanted to, but even though they are manufactured in NYC-ish area, it was not possible to audition them. They have no actual dealers.
(I would have to buy, it would be shipped, then with a 14-day return policy, then ship back for refund if it didn't work, BAH! who has the time).

We would die for to have that option here :p , the ZMF Auteur is really good and considering the warranty terms apart from SQ well worth the price too. I sold Ananda as they found very minimal use after getting the Auteurs.

to echo what @fLUX is saying, I also have a pair of auteurs. the US price is generally killer and I would consider grabbing it. If you don't like it it should be pretty easy to sell here because there's a fair amount of demand and the INR landed price is naturally higher.

In my experience, the auteurs are one of the most tonally correct headphones that I've come across and might be preferred for a person who listens mostly to stereo (the presentation is "speaker like" for the lack of a better phrase to explain).

Regardless, the clears are also a nice place to start.

To put a conclusion on this search.

I bought the Focal Clear Mg, liked it better than even the Sennheiser HD800s.

So much for keeping the price to around 30-40K, leave alone 70K :rolleyes:
I can say one thing, if you want no amp - simple setup headphones that can match the experience of an IEM with all the advantages of the headphones - FOCALS! I had the Stellia, I could drive them with anything, not at all picky about the source, yes most headphones would change signature when paired with amp and dac etc etc, but something high-end and non-fussy is a rarity :)

I can say one thing, if you want no amp - simple setup headphones that can match the experience of an IEM with all the advantages of the headphones - FOCALS! I had the Stellia, I could drive them with anything, not at all picky about the source, yes most headphones would change signature when paired with amp and dac etc etc, but something high-end and non-fussy is a rarity :)
Have tried the Clears out of a DAP for 30 odd minutes, they needed lower volume than the campfire IEM :D

Would the Auteur work directly with an iPhone?
In that case I might be tempted to try rider and try.
I have 30 day return on the Focals :)

Would the Auteur work directly with an iPhone?
In that case I might be tempted to try rider and try.
I have 30 day return on the Focals :)
You will get sound, if that's what you are asking. But you won't be anywhere close to realising their potential

For the potential I have nice high end tube dac with headphone amp built in.

but for mobile use, would I get the proper volume with just a phone?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back