For a complete newbie, recommend me headphones < 70K

Would the Auteur work directly with an iPhone?
In that case I might be tempted to try rider and try.
I have 30 day return on the Focals :)

Nope they are not easy to drive as focals but sound good out of a 200 mw OTL

Just to add my 2 cents (at the risk of muddying the water even more) - I own AKG K701, Shure SE 420 IEM, Audio Technica M50 and Dan Clark's Mad Dog (a planar, semi closed). There is something about the planars that others can't do no matter how you tweak EQs or get a more powerful amp. They're FAST! In bass, mids and highs... Only thing you need to make sure is that your amp can put out enough VOLUME. I used them with my laptop's headphone out, my desktop's headphone out and they sounded great but too quiet. But my headphone amp drives them to louder volume that I like, with almost exactly same details (which is miles ahead of others mentioned).

It could be a result of low impedance (no idea) but my strongest recommendation is on the latest planars (yet to hear Stax though, I hope I never will for the sake of my wallet :D)

I listened to the Focals vs a bunch of planars, preferred the Focals, think I am set with these. They are fantastic. Can wear them outdoors as well as indoors with my hi-fi system. Can't ask for more than that.

The ease of driving the Focals are an important factor , they do scale with a better setup but in comparison to other TOTLs are much more easy to drive. I too loved how Planars sound but they needed a really good chain to sound their best (HE560 V2 used to gulp down power , Ananda in comparison was easier to drive but still scaled like anything with a good desktop SS amp) , but after getting the ZMF Auteur sold of my planars as they hardly found any usage time. I am still curious to get a Focal in future just because of the reason @essrand got one , ease of driving combined with their sound signature should cover me for any travel use.

I listened to the Focals vs a bunch of planars, preferred the Focals, think I am set with these. They are fantastic. Can wear them outdoors as well as indoors with my hi-fi system. Can't ask for more than that.
It was just my personal (limited) experience and, frankly, my cans are quite old anyways. But I love them so bias is definitely a factor in my comments. All the best with your new headphones!!

@essrand - did you get a chance to hear the Stellias too? If so how much of a difference is there in Clear MGs vs Stellia? Will be really helpful, I want to buy the Clears after I lost the Stellias. :) Not sure how different they sound.

I didn’t.
I went 3x from HD660s to Clears after listening to the clears.
Didn’t want the same to happen by listening to something higher priced :)

Unfortunately, seeing the ASR review for Ananda saddens me, cuz among all the headphones Amir has measured, it honestly seems this one had poor results due to an imperfect seal. Everyone else's measurements (Oratory1990, Crinacle, Rtings) have shown none of the problems his had.

So from my perspective, having heard the LCD2C, Elegia, Elear with Elex Pads, Stax L300 and loads of other phones, I'd still recommend the Ananda.

have been hearing.reading some great reviews on Ananda even when compared with the much higher prices Arya .. how much better than a Senn HD650 would that be ?

have been hearing.reading some great reviews on Ananda even when compared with the much higher prices Arya .. how much better than a Senn HD650 would that be ?
I can answer that as I had them along with Arya. First of all, comparing planners with dynamics don't make sense. They are inherently different. The transients, dynamics, speed is much better on your Ananda. Apart from mids, everything else is superior on Ananda. Its a very very nice hp and sits very nicely between sundara and arya. Its tremendous value for what it does. For that matter I feel every hifiman is good value for what it brings to the table and if you look their house sound, its the only choice at that price point. I love my hd600 and I sold the hd650 too keep the 600s, but I dare not compare them with any of the hifimans from Ananda going towards. They are easily twice the price as well in India.

What specs would I need from my DAC to find out if it can adequately drive the Sundara?

Yes, I totally agree. I am a tube guy and most of my gear would probably measure poorly. But the review quite trashed the product hence the surprise.

Getting a headphone amp is a dealbreaker for sure. I like the price of Sundara, given I am just getting started and will surely make mistakes, so spending lesser is better.
Tubes work for me too. Your dac would have the headphone section specs listed in the manual. To begin with check to see the range of headphone impedances the headphone stage supports. If they say upto 300 ohms then I would recommend Senheisser 600/650 or the massdrop equivalent model. Old war horses but classics. One never gets tired listening to their presentation.
I have personally never been disappointed by hearing hd580/600/650 on tube amps I have plugged them into. They scale very well. I say so as a long time owner and am not even close to replacing them with others. I do have other headphones but my fav are the Senns. And they have a service center in Mumbai (and probably other metros as well) where I would buy genuine spares like cables, earpads, etc.

Finally back in India and connected my Focal Clear Mg to the Nagra Tube DAC, I am very very happy with the sound.

Totally lucked out in discovering this headphone which was a tad above my budget but worth it.

Easily the last headphone I will purchase, and feel lucky that it is the first headphone I purchased.

Agree everything with this review, including the minor quibble about the length of the unbalanced cable.

Tubes work for me too. Your dac would have the headphone section specs listed in the manual. To begin with check to see the range of headphone impedances the headphone stage supports. If they say upto 300 ohms then I would recommend Senheisser 600/650 or the massdrop equivalent model. Old war horses but classics. One never gets tired listening to their presentation.
I have personally never been disappointed by hearing hd580/600/650 on tube amps I have plugged them into. They scale very well. I say so as a long time owner and am not even close to replacing them with others. I do have other headphones but my fav are the Senns. And they have a service center in Mumbai (and probably other metros as well) where I would buy genuine spares like cables, earpads, etc.

Hello. D
Hello. Did you listen to HD800s? Can you compare HD600 series with HD800S. I have the HD800s and want to get the maximum out of them. I have a Burson Soloist 3XP. Would a 650 be an “upgrade”.

Hello. D

Hello. Did you listen to HD800s? Can you compare HD600 series with HD800S. I have the HD800s and want to get the maximum out of them. I have a Burson Soloist 3XP. Would a 650 be an “upgrade”.
not at all. I have listened to both of them and the 800 is more detailed/resolving and has better bass and high frequency. But these are accurate hence if your music source is noot very good it will show its issues as well as it needs the best. 650 is forgiving.

not at all. I have listened to both of them and the 800 is more detailed/resolving and has better bass and high frequency. But these are accurate hence if your music source is noot very good it will show its issues as well as it needs the best. 650 is forgiving.
Ok I see.
Does HD820 have better bass?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back