Free HDTV Calibration Disc From AVSForum

vramak

Some guys at AVSForum have prepared an extensive calibration disc for HDTV's. You might wanna have a look at it if you don't have other calibration discs. I found this one easy to use too. With this you can calibrate brightness, contrast (and gamma if required) but to calibrate colours you'll need a blue filter. Here's the link to the calibration disc -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I had already calibrated my V20 with Pixar HDTV calibration and I found this one to yield exactly the same result. The great thing about this tool is that it's just a 4mb download but it will get decompressed to a 1GB+ MP4 video which you can play on your video player without having to worry about burning a DVD. So, it's definitely worth a try even if you are not keenly interested in calibration.

Do note that if you've never tried using calibration tools before, then you will observe that, after calibration, your TV will look significantly duller and lifeless compared to how it looked before. But this dull look is much more natural and closer to reference quality, so you'll get used to it no time and you'll start appreciating it. Also note that calibrated settings will make lower quality HD sources and SD look much worser because the inherent defects in the source will become apparent. So, it's good idea to save different settings for lower quality sources, based on personal preferences.

Last edited:
Hi Ram,

Off all actors why Ramarajan?:)

cheers,
sri

Hehe! Obviously because he's the best of all. Who else can bring down 6 guys with a single punch like he does! :p

I don't think I can find a better sig than this but I'm looking for something smaller coz this one's too big.

Thanks for that link. Really appreciate it! The AVS forum is ONE mutha when it comes to information. You can read on and on and on about tech jargon. I stay away from it, or else I will be 'friendless' very soon. LOL.
Thanks a million. Downloaded this. Also downloading the AVIA II calibration disc.
Any link to the PIXAR calibration disc?

Thanks for that link. Really appreciate it! The AVS forum is ONE mutha when it comes to information. You can read on and on and on about tech jargon. I stay away from it, or else I will be 'friendless' very soon. LOL.
Thanks a million. Downloaded this. Also downloading the AVIA II calibration disc.

Donno much about AVS forum. I found this link while looking for calibration tools. After hearing what you said about AVS forum, I feel an urge to check it out. :)

Pixar HT calibration is found in Pixar blu rays. I don't think you can find it online. Avia and DVE are known to be very good but for brightness, contrast and gamma adjustment all these tools work pretty much the same way. So I guess AVforums' calibration disc is the only one we'll need unless we have original DVE or Avia discs that come with colour filter to calibrate colours.

Can you give a download link to AVIA II?

Some guys at AVSForum have prepared an extensive calibration disc for HDTV's. You might wanna have a look at it if you don't have other calibration discs. I found this one easy to use too. With this you can calibrate brightness, contrast (and gamma if required) but to calibrate colours you'll need a blue filter. Here's the link to the calibration disc -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I had already calibrated my V20 with Pixar HDTV calibration and I found this one to yield exactly the same result. The great thing about this tool is that it's just a 4mb download but it will get decompressed to a 1GB+ MP4 video which you can play on your video player without having to worry about burning a DVD. So, it's definitely worth a try even if you are not keenly interested in calibration.

Do note that if you've never tried using calibration tools before, then you will observe that, after calibration, your TV will look significantly duller and lifeless compared to how it looked before. But this dull look is much more natural and closer to reference quality, so you'll get used to it no time and you'll start appreciating it. Also note that calibrated settings will make lower quality HD sources and SD look much worser because the inherent defects in the source will become apparent. So, it's good idea to save different settings for lower quality sources, based on personal preferences.

Yesterday i downloaded the MP4 file from the abvove link, now i ll try to calibrate my Panasonic C10D on saturday but i do have some queries if you guys can help me out.

1. There are arnd 5-6 files with one big as 700MB named basic setting, so do i run the big file or i have to run all the file one by one.
2.i will run the files through WD TV on my 2 HDMI ports.
3.is there will be any harm to TV if i run these calibration settings.

any other precautions i need to take befor calibration please do let me know.

Thanks in Advance

Yesterday i downloaded the MP4 file from the abvove link, now i ll try to calibrate my Panasonic C10D on saturday but i do have some queries if you guys can help me out.

1. There are arnd 5-6 files with one big as 700MB named basic setting, so do i run the big file or i have to run all the file one by one.
2.i will run the files through WD TV on my 2 HDMI ports.
3.is there will be any harm to TV if i run these calibration settings.

any other precautions i need to take befor calibration please do let me know.

Thanks in Advance

It's just a video with some test patterns. You have to read the PDF included in that page to understand how to manually adjust settings on your TV by referring the test patterns.

Hi,

I am not an expert in HDTV but I'm sure it must be important how these test files are being run. for example running this video on a regular DVD player as oppose to a BluRay player. So my question is in order to fully calibrate an HDTV in its native format (say 1080p) without any upconversion, wouldn't it be better to purchase a BluRay calibration disk? I understand the one we are talking about here is free though.

The calibration disc contain sample test patterns - vertical grey flashing bars, monochrome TV test pattern, etc. So it does not really matter whether you use the DVD or BD. BD version is also available to download.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back