Google Launches New Chromecast Dongle, Chromecast Audio in India

mgdelhi

new_chromecast_black.jpg

Google has launched its second-generation Chromecast dongle in India, alongside the new Chromecast Audio dongle, both priced at Rs. 3,399. The media-streaming dongles will be available from several online marketplaces including Flipkart, Snapdeal, Paytm, as well as retailers like Reliance and Croma. No exact availability was announced.

The company is offering a free Saavn Pro subscription and free Hooq subscription - 6 months each - with both dongles. To recall, the company had refreshed the Chromecast dongle and globally launched it with the new Chromecast Audio dongle September last year.

The second-generation Chromecast's design (seen above) is significantly different from the original's. The new dongle has an HDMI cable looped inside a circular Chromecast logo-shaped unit. Connectivity has also improved, with three onboard antennas and dual-band 5GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi for stutter-free high quality streaming. It comes with Fast Play, allowing the Chromecast to start a video or audio streaming much more quickly once the Cast button is pressed.

The new Chromecast dongle also enjoys the Feeds feature, which can be controlled via the Chromecast app, letting users choose what content the Chromecast will display on screen when on standby - from social media feeds to image feeds. Unlike the first generation Chromecast dongle, the new media streaming device will be available in three colours - Black, Red, and Yellow.

chromecast_audio_black.jpg

The Chromecast Audio dongle (seen above) lets users stream music to regular, dumb speakers without wireless connectivity directly from their smartphone or laptop. It works with Android and iOS devices, apart from PCs. The device supports high-quality audio, 2 watt RMS, and an optional optical digital out that sits in the hybrid port.

Google's Chromecast Audio dongle additionally includes a feature called guest access, allowing others to stream even if they are not connected to the user's Wi-Fi network.

Source: NDTV

Availability (Chromecast) :

http://www.flipkart.com/google-chro...tmeh8vyyrgzymzq?hl=en-IN&pid=SELEH8VYQRNA99BH
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/google-chromecast-2-streaming-media/667148745220?hl=en-IN
https://paytm.com/shop/p/new-google...ack-MEDNEW-GOOGLE-CE-ST485705C8A6752?hl=en-IN

Availability (Chromecast Audio) :

Google Chromecast Audio Media Streaming Device - Google : Flipkart.com
Buy Google Chromecast Audio Online at Best Price in India - Snapdeal
https://paytm.com/shop/p/google-chr...low-MEDGOOGLE-CHROME-ST485705D23F106?hl=en-IN

Last edited:
Purchased latest chromecast from US directly, and now owns both old gen and new gen chromecasts. I really like the new one, especially the aesthetics and ease of use with the flexible HDMI cable. The video takes less time to load compared to old one, and has a better response as well. Overall enjoying my new toy now

Can you explain if buffering issue still persist? Is this as good as media Player?

Purchased latest chromecast from US directly, and now owns both old gen and new gen chromecasts. I really like the new one, especially the aesthetics and ease of use with the flexible HDMI cable. The video takes less time to load compared to old one, and has a better response as well. Overall enjoying my new toy now

Can you explain if buffering issue still persist? Is this as good as media Player?

Never had any buffering issues - not in audio or video - if it buffers it might be an ISP issue.

Can Google chrome audio stream MP3 files from laptop to speaker?

Will stream anything up to 24/96 without issues. Anything higher will be downsampled.

Can Chromecast audio stream music files stored on my Netgear NAS through my android mobile phone?

Can Chromecast audio stream music files stored on my Netgear NAS through my android mobile phone?
It should do that. However I haven't tested it out myself as I don't have any except the mobile phone. Apps like BubbleUPnP should be able to stream.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If your Netgear runs a media server like UPnP or DLNA then yes.

If not i.e. Netgear has its own proprietary server (highly unlikely) then it would be possible with a Netgear native app for Android or iOS.

Basically any media server with standard protocols DLNA/UPnP/OpenHome will work.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back